Restoration of the Clown Car - a WC56/58

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
awddouglas
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Restoration of the Clown Car - a WC56/58

Post by awddouglas » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:52 am

I have been threatening to do this for some time, basically every time i get help answering another one of my ridiculous questions, i feel a pang of guilt i have not already done it.... so here goes.

Deep in 2020 lockdown here in UK, i had completed my latest project (for those that are interested, a 1972 Porsche 911 - my tastes are quite eclectic) and so was looking for something else to keep me occupied during what was likely to be a lengthy period of time with no prospect of travel etc.

As the restorer in previous times of a WC54, ex Norwegian then restored by me in the UK, veteran of several Normandy trips and now ensconced back in the US, I have always missed having a Dodge as part of the family. They look great and that distinctive burbling exhaust note is addictive.

As a long term Jeep custodian, i loved the big jeep looks of the Command and so decided that was the way i was going to go. Had a search around the various dark corners of the internet where i located this

A WC56, built in 1942, that had served up until 1965 with the French Army, then had been bought by a Garage just outside Paris where it had been used as a Breakdown Vehicle until 1977. At this point it was sold off to the gentleman i bought it from and had sat in his garage in Northern France for 40+ years in varying states of decomposition and deconstruction.

Over the period, he acquired various parts to replace some obviously missing bits and in October 2020, i bought it on the basis of some blurry photos from the internet.

Loaded with the extra parts, it was delivered to me in rainy UK - despite lockdown, cross channel deliveries were still permitted.

Note the fuel cap which is a cut down tin of anchovies.

Due to the rather garish garage paint job, the Dodge was quickly christened 'The Clown Car' by my friends......

After unloading and stripping out of the contents under the tarp, i realised i had:

1. An early chassis with axles, combats and a T214 that had been rebuilt in Brussels in 1965 according to the rebuild plate on the bell housing.
2. A body which had lost its front 1/3 of each side panel, designed to accommodate a cab for the breakdown vehicle and much of the rear floor and upper hood panel to accommodate the crane
3. A chassis with some modifications to allow the crane (long since gone) to be fitted
4. A chassis number that had been restamped by the French Army incorrectly - i presume they had misread the original stamping. You can see the 814 number stamped here on the French chassis plate - i am presuming it should be 815 or 816.

5. Many boxes of parts none of which were labelled and many of which i could see were effectively scrap
6. Some repair panels (trunk floor and rear hood rail panel, the original had been chopped out to allow the crane to sit where the rear seat had been, a rear and front seat frame, hoodsticks and much more). As i like originality, critically, all the DCPD marked bolts removed during the partial dismantling had been retained!

The axles were free turning so at this point, i was happy.

However, this turned fairly quickly to disappointment as i realised the axles and the engine were late war so the early chassis had been 'upgraded' but was not original to a 1942. Many of the parts seemed to have been stored in such a way as to maximise the corrosion process and the body, which i had hoped would be restorable, was in a much worse state than i had imagined with little of it remaining beyond the cowl and dashboard.

So around this time, John at MWM was advertising this

A Command Chassis and body (apparently matched, i.e. the body and chassis are as per originally built in the factory but i cannot prove this as i cannot get the build card as the vehicle was imported as parts - its is only chassis and running gear plus bodywork so i have no registration document....yet..

But, the running gear was early as befits a 1942 build, the chassis had no extraneous parts welded on it and was in great condition and the body is substantially more complete than the one i had.

So the new chassis/tub was bought and delivered to the UK.

Closer inspection of the body on arrival showed that the glove box chassis plate showed that at least the tub was originally a WC58 which for me was a result.

But corrosion rendered the chassis number unreadable.

On the downside, the new tub had a cowl which had lost its vent panel and had had some 'remedial work on the firewall' which had deleted the holes for the radio filter box and crucially, the Dodge firewall number stamping. Also, the wheels were post war.

But a plan had been outlined - i would strip everything i could from the WC56, sell that chassis/axles and rebuild the WC58 using the donor parts from the WC56.

Here is the WC56 chassis, combat wheels removed and replaced with the nasty ones from the WC58 about to be taken away with the remains of the rear bodywork. You can see the large vertical plates welded to the rear cross member to which the crane was bolted.

And here is the WC58 chassis on its way to be sandblasted....

More to come.....
GPW 3568 (3-18-42)
Bantam T3 72591 (6_20_45)
1944 Schwimmwagen 15410
1965 Mustang Fastback K code
1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1A
1972 Porsche 911S

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Restoration of the Clown Car - a WC56/58

Post by 70th Division » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:13 am

Hello,

This is a great update !

I am happy that you have gotten the CC project back on track with the new body/chassis from Midwest .
Certainly a long journey to get there, but now you have a good base to build the entire Command Car
into what you are looking for in a Dodge :D :D !

What a great find to get things going again !

Keep us posted , and Keep 'em Rolling !!

Best Regards,
Ray

awddouglas

Post by awddouglas » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:35 am

Thanks Ray,

The next instalment.

Whilst I worked on the more complex items such as the engine refurbishment and the bodywork - and when I say 'I', I mean the experts I selected to assist me in these spaces, i got on with other individual systems and parts.

First up, in the christmas of 2020, i started on the gearbox:

50-70 odd years of encrusted crud to remove.

You can see in the photo below that the PTO plate is not fitted. I hadnt removed it, it had been taken off at some point since 1977 when the vendor who sold it to me had acquired the vehicle. So i expected the worst when i took the top plate off. However, as you can see, it wasnt too bad, just surface rust.

So it all cleaned up ok, new bearings and gaskets fitted and a new output shaft

Buttoned it all back up and ticked off the 'to do list'.

I have now discovered that the correct paint scheme is for the top plate to be green, the box itself to be smoke grey. Am debating whether or not to repaint it, i think i will probably leave it as is.
GPW 3568 (3-18-42)
1944 Schwimmwagen 15410
1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1A
1972 Porsche 911S

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:18 am

awddouglas wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:35 am

Thanks Ray,

The next installment.

Whilst I worked on the more complex items such as the engine refurbishment and the bodywork - and when I say 'I', I mean the experts I selected to assist me in these spaces, i got on with other individual systems and parts.

I have now discovered that the correct paint scheme is for the top plate to be green, the box itself to be smoke grey. Am debating whether or not to repaint it, i think i will probably leave it as is.
Hello,

That restoration of the transmission looks great, amazing that it survived all those years !!

I would keep it green as well :D :D !
Any depot rebuild would have painted it olive drab during the overhaul.

I will have to be doing the same work once my jeeps are done,on my WC-56, so I will be following along for inspiration and ideas !!

Keep up your good works !

Best Regards,
Ray

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:50 pm

Nice restoration, in process.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

awddouglas

Post by awddouglas » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:07 am

Transfer case - the gearbox and transfer case, i did over the winter of 2020, had to believe its a year and a half ago....

anyway, i clearly didnt take many photos of the process but here we go

It was certainly dirty.

The insides were not too bad. Just oily and full of sludge.

All I did was clean the case inside and out (strip to bare metal, rustproof, epoxy primer, red oxide, olive drab), clean the gears, replace all of the bearings and gaskets and then button it up. Repaint and ready to fit. Where possible i always try to reuse DCPD marked bolts. Looks like i wasnt successful on the transfer box!

GPW 3568 (3-18-42)
1944 Schwimmwagen 15410
1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1A
1972 Porsche 911S

awddouglas

Post by awddouglas » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:33 am

I also just noted from the photos that the case is 43 dated so clearly not the one that came from the factory in 1942 which is when I estimate the donor WC56 was produced. This is consistent with something rebuilt by the French army in the mid 60's. I also knew in the back of my mind that it was a later case because the larger diameter bolts were needed to fit the case to the chassis crossmember.

Strange how i never noticed the date during the reassembly......
GPW 3568 (3-18-42)
1944 Schwimmwagen 15410
1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1A
1972 Porsche 911S

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”