WC63 Wiring Harness Problems

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
dpcd67
G-General
G-General

WC63 Wiring Harness Problems

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:06 am

I'm installing a wiring harness in my WC63; from MV Spares. I got this harness 5 years ago. I know they don't make them, but this one is a complete mess. None of the wires are colored according the TM and there are extra random wires under the dash. I can't make it work. Included is a new color chart, which is impossible to use too.
I did note that their ad now says that the WC63 harness has been improved and is now IAW the TM.
Which leaves me stuck with an $850 albatross. I've completely wired lots of vehicles and have even made harnesses for M series vehicles.
Not happy now.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: WC63 Wiring Harness Problems

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:27 pm

dpcd67 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:06 am
I'm installing a wiring harness in my WC63; from MV Spares. I got this harness 5 years ago. I know they don't make them, but this one is a complete mess. None of the wires are colored according the TM and there are extra random wires under the dash. I can't make it work. Included is a new color chart, which is impossible to use too.
I did note that their ad now says that the WC63 harness has been improved and is now IAW the TM.
Which leaves me stuck with an $850 albatross. I've completely wired lots of vehicles and have even made harnesses for M series vehicles.
Not happy now.
I used an MV Spares harness on my WC52 a number of months back. It was a disaster. I have wired about three Dodge WC's, but the harness for the WC52 from MV Spares just about defeated me. Wiring colors are all messed up. I finally worked through it go was able to get everything to work. I believe I made a lot of notes as I have an MV Spares harness for my WC63 like you have now.

Let me take a look and see if I can find my notes. I remember having to covert a lot of things based on the TM vs. the MV Spares harness. I've been in the process of moving my shop, so may be a few days to find my harness stuff.

Stand by. I feel, I mean felt your pain.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:32 pm

Ok, so I am not the only one! I just spent two more hours trying to decipher things under the dash; still a no go. Not only does it not match the TM, it does not even match the chart that came with the harness kit.
I wrote MV Spares; whomever made this harness, and it was made in the US, needs to give me something better. This is the worst mess I have ever seen.
Now, the colors are vivid and the ring ends are nice. Harness is top quality; just configuration is a disaster.
This one, I won't let go; I can fix anything and make anything work, but this, no. I do not want to burn my truck up, and that is what will happen using this POS. Sorry MVS; your stuff is top quality; but not this one.
If you have any notes I would appreciate it!
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:02 pm

Update:
I have been in commo with MVS. They sent me three wiring diagrams. Unfortunately they are no better than the little color chart that came with the harness. They list only basic colors; NO stripes mentioned. And still does not correspond with my harness colors. And one of the wires is marked "horn" that comes through the junction block. Nonsense.
I am now afraid to hook the battery up because I don't want to melt any of the harness.
Evidence is that on the description for the Dodge wiring harnesses now reads:
"The Dodge WWII 1-1/2 Ton kits have undergone a full review and after much investigation we have manufactured the correct wire including original tracers exactly as per the NOS samples. This improvement makes these Dodge kits the most accurate available worldwide. All wiring harnesses are made in the USA. "
How could this happen when all their other products are so good?
Afraid to say, this is complete crap. I'm about ready to demand a new harness and they can have this one back.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:01 pm

Sorry for the delay. Been moving my two garages/shops to my new shop and been a bit disorganized. I finally found my MV Spares WC57 and WC63 wiring harnesses. Well, the notes I thought I made weren't in the boxes like I thought. I guess I figured I'd just deal with the cruddy wiring harnesses when I get to them. Hopefully, you figured out your harness by now.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:50 pm

No problem thanks for looking. It is not a matter of me figuring out the harness. I can make harnesses. It is the matter of me paying what I consider a lot of money for this harness which was deemed unsuitable and production was stopped, many years before I bought it. I should not have to make it work. It should work as is. My restorations are completely configured IAW the TMs. Totally impossible with this harness.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”