One of my M37's

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
PoW
Commodore
Commodore
One of my M37's

Post by PoW » Sat May 21, 2022 2:47 pm

So as not to hijack another thread, I though I'd put up a few photos of my best work.
m37d oldie.jpg
DennisArmyTruckCreekInRain.jpg
DennisArmyTruckDetroit.jpg
DennisArmyTruckPanel.jpg
PrinceO'Weird
Dodges in the Arizona desert.

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: One of my M37's

Post by USAFpj » Sun May 22, 2022 2:56 am

I used to, ignorantly, give my Father in Law a hard time every time he wanted to drop a Cummins into every 40's era Chevy he could get his hands on. Disc brakes, power steering, aftermarket wheels, replacement air-ride seats, automatic transmission, etc.
I'm a few years older and wiser now, and recognize that he actually drives his resto-mods comfortably, and perhaps that may be better than not driving them and keeping them inside of our shop-museums?

That M37 looks fantastic- as a newbie to the diesel swaps, PoW, can you tell me what advantages you get with that motor vs. an already adequate 230 Flathead? Lower torque? MPG? Less wear on parts due to RPM?

PoW
Commodore
Commodore
Re: One of my M37's

Post by PoW » Sun May 22, 2022 9:00 am

1..Better mileage: 15mpg average.
2..Better road speed: 68 with the goat tires & stock gears, Spicer 3053 OD trans (M35) @ 2800 rpm.
3..Air over hydraulic braking system M35 airpak) necessary at speed.
4..Much less maint, oil & filter changes was it. No problematic carb or ignition work.
5..The only wear item was 13 sets of ring & pinion in just under 250K miles. They just can't take the torque. Then again, who puts 10K a year on an M37?

I once saw a TACOM brief saying the service life of a G741 was some 15K miles. Wow.

My biggest problem was hard times, and I had to sell it back in the early 2000's. I got to keep the hardtop, so that is that.

The guy I sold it to in Texas developed mental problems and had no clue where it went. :cry:

I've never found it. Crap.

Reg number 201011834
VIN 80258522

PoW
Dodges in the Arizona desert.

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”