Need a WC Dimension

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Need a WC Dimension

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:12 pm

I need the height of the wood blocks that the cab front sits on, on a WC63. I made them 1.5 inches tall; I read that they are 1 7/16ths, however, my steering column hits the cab and there is no way to adjust it. And the cab is not parallel with the running boards.
How high are your wood blocks? Is there something I am missing?
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Need a WC Dimension

Post by zepher11 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:24 pm

I had copied these some time ago. Sounds like you're close. There are pads on top and below the mounting block. Doesn't seem like that missing the pads would make a significant difference:
Dodge WC Cab Block Mount 01.JPG
CAB Block Mounting 1
Dodge WC Cab Block Mount 02.JPG
CAB Block Mounting 2
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:37 pm

Thanks; I have seen that picture; the cab has a door. (I think it is for Power Wagons) But 1 9/16s, plus pads, makes a lot of difference. So I know that I have to add more height.
And of course the drivers front corner does not use a spring; it is solidly mounted. In case someone else sees this.
Thanks.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:26 pm

Yes, no spring on the driver's side front corner. It's good to keep the pedals in their general location for the driver.

On the Dodge WC's I've restored, it always seems like I need a little more height for the cowl to get the proper hood alignment. Can only go so far down with the radiator support.
Zeph

gyknot
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by gyknot » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:14 pm

I too had to had more than the books said. Seems I ended up at least 1/2" or maybe a bit more to get everything to line up on my WC12. Of course it probably didn't help that I made said truck from about a dozen parts rigs.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:05 am

Ok, that is good to know too! I forgot where I got the drawing that showed the wood blocks at 1 7/16ths, I think it was from the WC52 restoration web site. It also said it has canvas material tacked to the wood.
But that is clearly too low, and I am doing what you did and adding 1/2 inch to it. Which will bring the steering column into position too.
I don't think they used rubber spacers in WW2 on the front, with the wood. Did they? I'm not; just in the rear. I have restored WM300s but that was 20 years ago and I have forgotten it all by now. Have to re learn everything. I study the SNL every day.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

gyknot
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by gyknot » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:43 pm

I'm not sure about rubber spacers. I had nothing to go by and just figured the "kit" I got from Vintage Power Wagons would be the end-all solution. Not saying it didn't work, but I most definitely had to do some adjusting. And since mine was never going to be a concours quality rig or numbers matching anything, I ended up using wood and nylons blocks just to make what I needed. Nobody can see them anyways unless they climb under it.
I'm more of a Make-do person than Make-it-perfect one. 8)

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:34 pm

John at Midwest Military sent me the correct canvas pads for my VC1 project that goes on the top and bottom of the wood blocks. They are fairly think with some material wrapped in the canvas. I'll try to get some photos of the pads tomorrow. They are nice.
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:48 am

I made the ones for my -57 out of oak. 1 7/8" thick. No pads, no spring. Everything steering mast and pedals is spot on.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:14 am

Yep; I think that height is right; I added a piece of wood to each side and raised it up to about that height and the steering column is in the right place. Now I will get some more oak and glue on to make my blocks higher.
I did note that Vintage Power wagons sells two sets of blocks; one for closed cab, as in the picture above, and one for open cabs like our WCs. And the VC-1 does not use the same blocks as the open cab models. No pads on the wood blocks; they have a piece of thin canvas nailed to them. I have now found out more about these than I wanted to. They are quite different in configuration and height.
So, this verifies it; thanks.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”