For future reference- Condensers

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

For future reference- Condensers

Post by USAFpj » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:01 am

Interesting experience with condensers on a 43 WC52. My son and I had been driving it consistently without a hiccup for about (14) town trips and had built a great deal of faith in it. I left to go overseas and did not run it for close to 4 months due to an injury. However, when I finally did jump in it just to get it to operating temp, she refused to start, and when it finally would, it would pop, hiss, and you would have to mash the gas to get any kind of idle. Made no sense..

Quick ideas were stale fuel, gummed up carb from stale ethanol, or even a stuck valve. It couldn't be the plugs or condenser, as I had placed new ones when I drove it last. Must be stale fuel...

The Napa Industrial battery was purchased in 2016, so maybe it is not helping the situation?

For grins, I dug through all of my spare jeep/Dodge stuff and found a condenser with no markings. Threw it in, and she now drives like new money!
This is the first time that a component worked flawlessly for a period, then over a period of non-use, absolutely failed. I've heard that modern condensers are notorious for being worthless, so time to grab some Blue Streaks and keep them in my tool bag... or go to EI.

-OB

Scoutpilot
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: For future reference- Condensers

Post by Scoutpilot » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:24 am

Humidity is no friend to electrical circuits.
'70-'71 'A' Batt., 377th FA, 101AB
(Slicks and LOH's)(Col's LOH Pilot)
'71-72 CHARLIE TROOP,
16TH AIR CAV, 1ST AVN BDE (AEROSCOUTS)
LOW LEVEL HELL.
'46 CJ2A
'47 CJ2A
'48 CJ2A
'48 B1PW126
'69 CJ5

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:13 pm

That and coils going bad when they warm up and the wires internally disconnect, are the hardest to diagnose. :shock:

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:01 pm

Does anyone know the part number for a NOS condenser?

I see condensers on eBay all the time but either they are very short leads or they are really long bodies

I’m
Pretty sure 25 MF is the correct electrical requirement?

gyknot
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by gyknot » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:34 am

I feel your pain. Totally different circumstances, but I was fighting the same issue with my WC12 when I got it finished. Start easy sometimes, and then not at all. Idled OK but would not run at all off of idle.
Fought the carb and even had a shop go through it with no change. Swapped the coil and no change. Swapped the condenser and no issues since.
I'm not even sure what the condenser I used is for. Was just a new one in a box on my shelf from an auction sale.

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”