zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:27 am

superdave wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:32 pm
Dodge Parts ?
Inline wire crimper. That'll come in handy for sure. Especially under the dash and tight areas when crimping wires in the futures.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:34 pm

Completed a little more work on the VC. However, was perplexed for a bit trying to shift gears on the rebuilt transmission. I thought the technical manual was joking when it said that one had to shift into 4 wheel drive to get into 1st gear or reverse. WTH! It's true. If one wants to back up, the transfer case needs to be engaged first. When out of four wheel drive, the transmission can only be shifted into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Not sure why. Manual doesn't explain why that is, but there you go:

I fitted the exhaust system. Minor cutting of the exhaust pipes to get everything to fit:

Also pulled out the drivelines to get them cleaned up. Had one NOS unit and one older take off unit. Well, the NOS one ended up being for a later Dodge WC with the Mechanic joints and not the Detroit style u-joints, so need a replacement:

Filled up the transmission. Worked doubly hard to make sure this unit wouldn't leak. Leaks along the PTO side plate! I installed the gasket with gasket sealant on both sides as well as sealed each of the bolts with thread sealant. It leaks! Usually I just put the gasket on there. Never had the plate leak before:

Finished up the last of the brake lines too:

Always feel like I have eyes on me. Yep. It's Alice watching through the windshield of the WC52 Weapons Carrier. She loves hanging out in that thing:

I did manage to get all four fenders, inner fender panels, hood, running board and front grill pieces to a local blaster. Weather looks to be right about 70 degrees for at least the next few weeks it looks like, so good to get them done now. Chassis is basically completed, so it's on to the body work now.
Zeph

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:52 pm

Zeph,
This is only speculation. This sounds like a first gear lock out situation. I bet 1st is super low, probably could not make it through an intersection without shifting to 2nd. With enough revs 2nd should work just fine to get going. Also if you stall it, it's easier to bump start if you have any momentum left. Reverse lockout would be the same principle. Super low gear. Would prevent damage by going to fast and taxing the reverse gear.
When Chevrolet put 1st gear lock outs in our new squad cars, it drove me nuts trying to do sharp ninety degree turns when I could not plant the rear end anymore. Drive into the turn, down shift right before the apex, then nail it. If done correctly you can get a super quick almost ninety degree turn.
Looks good as always. How is the wife recovering? Better I hope.
Bob

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:45 am

chibobber wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:52 pm
Zeph,
This is only speculation. This sounds like a first gear lock out situation. I bet 1st is super low, probably could not make it through an intersection without shifting to 2nd. With enough revs 2nd should work just fine to get going. Also if you stall it, it's easier to bump start if you have any momentum left. Reverse lockout would be the same principle. Super low gear. Would prevent damage by going to fast and taxing the reverse gear.
When Chevrolet put 1st gear lock outs in our new squad cars, it drove me nuts trying to do sharp ninety degree turns when I could not plant the rear end anymore. Drive into the turn, down shift right before the apex, then nail it. If done correctly you can get a super quick almost ninety degree turn.
Looks good as always. How is the wife recovering? Better I hope.
Bob
Hi Bob,

My wife is on the mend. Had a nice sized plate put in there and looks like everything is healing up well. Can't walk or drive, however. So have to walk the dogs every morning and drive her to and from work. Takes about a minimum of four hours out of my shop time per day. In a month of so should get back to normal.

Yeah, locks out the first gear and reverse. Maybe to prevent it from snapping the axles. Of course, they changed it where all gears are available with the same transmission and gear rations for the Dodge WC's. I raced cars for about 30 years, so can appreciate your turning skills. Offensive driving is the best! :lol:
Zeph

Ernie Baals
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ernie Baals » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:12 am

John, if you can give me a call 856 986 5091
Thanks Ernie
Rip Dad 1/22/24 to 12/21/11
I will always love and miss you.
Ernie Baals MVPA 104C and 3104, AACA, SJC MVPA

Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government
that requires every citizen to prove
they are insured……but not everyone
must prove they are a citizen”

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:51 am

Hello,

Looking like great progress Zeph !!
Your dog certainly looks interested in your work !

Glad your wife is making progress !

Best Regards,
Ray

WALLY
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by WALLY » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:10 pm

If you need brush guard armsI have them 414-322-0928 WALLY

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:29 pm

WALLY wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:10 pm
If you need brush guard armsI have them 414-322-0928 WALLY
Hi Wally. Thank you for the offer, but I think I'm good on brush guard arms. I was happy those came with the project. Appreciate the offer!

I didn't realize it's been a bit since I posted last. Been busy doing more than my normal share of domestic chores with my wife laid up. She is doing well and now I don't have to take four hours of my day to driver her to work and then pick her up. That really cut into my day.

Have completed a few little things here and there on the VC1. I figured out the lock out issue on the transmission/transfer case. I bolted everything up and it's true. One can only shift into first and reverse if the transfer case is in 4x4. When out of 4x4 it can be shifted into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Kinda weird:

Installed the intermediate shaft between the trans and T-case:

The oddysee continued with the drivelines. Kept finding some, but always had an issue. Finally found a matched set of drivelines, but couldn't find the yokes. Ended up locating some NOS yokes. One of the drivelines I found had the yoke so rusted on that I had to put about 2 tons of pressure on it with the engine crane to pull the yoke off. After heating it, soaking it in PB blaster for a few days it took about an hour to pull that bad boy off:

Also cut the floor board to allow for the VC location of the transfer case shifter:

Cleaned some more parts:

Painted:

Thinking these may be inner fender bolts and washers:

Core support installed:

Thought I had an NOS VC radiator, but when I removed it from the box it was dented up and I noticed that it just looked odd:

An older original radiator came with the project, but it's pretty rotted out, but helped me figure out the issues I had:

Had the correct part number:

The one in the box doesn't have the correct part number:

Although they look similar, the black one has the mounting side brackets on the wrong side. Plus both have these odd towers on the top of the tank that are in the wrong locations compared to each other. I had another VC core support help me compare WTF was going on:

I figured I need the good black core switched over to the yellow upper and lower tanks and the brackets on the yellow tank as well. Took both to the radiator shop a few weeks ago and they laughed at me. Only one radiator shop within 200 miles around here. They said they doubt the could do anything with it, but would give the new guy that isn't hired yet a go at it. They can't get any employees. Not sure what I'll do with it after they are done with it.

So moved on to other parts to clean. NOS steering box needed cleaning. Geez, that's a lot of work getting the Cosmoline off of these things:

Didn't think the Pitman arm would go all the way on, but I guess 2/3rds should be ok:

Made a seal for the flywheel cover pan:

Also, finally after all these restorations figured out how to get the rubber draft pads on the pedals. Have ripped all the other attempts in the past. Nice to get some installed like the factory:

Drivelines finally figured out and u-joints installed:

Found one phase mark, so used that to align both yokes to the drivelines proper:

I ran into an issue with one of the transfer case yokes. Kept trying to get the keeper mounted, but they were tight and seem just not right:

Finally figured out that the yoke was just too small and would accept the u-joint. I had accidently restored a 3/4 ton transfer case a few years ago. I checked it and it had the small Detroit style yokes. I mic'd it and it was larger than the other one. The one was 1/16" too small. Had to pull it the yoke off the 3/4 ton t-case and switch them:

Finally, after all that I have drivelines! Took three or four months, but finally have them installed!

Quite the angle:

Now's the time to refurbish the steering wheel. Have two VC steering wheels for some reason...that's right, the WC26 came with a VC steering box and steering wheel. Both aren't too bad:

Love the DPCD markings on the steering wheels:

Zeph

TonyStandefer

Post by TonyStandefer » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:03 pm

Do you have a spare vc steering wheel?
Willys MB 340931. DOD 6-9-1944
Mvpa 1996 convention 1st place motorpool class
Dodge wc-12, July, 1941

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:22 am

TonyStandefer wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:03 pm
Do you have a spare vc steering wheel?
Looks like I will. I doubt that I'll ever have another VC series truck.
Zeph

TonyStandefer

Post by TonyStandefer » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:39 am

I’ll messenger you
Willys MB 340931. DOD 6-9-1944
Mvpa 1996 convention 1st place motorpool class
Dodge wc-12, July, 1941

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:47 pm

Zeph,
Next time you have to clean a cosmoline encrusted part, throw it in a black garbage bag and set it out in the sun for a few hours. Makes it a whole lot easier to remove. Used this technique on surplus Chinese SKS rifles. Some guys build boxes and put heat lamps in them to heat it up.
Glad the misses is doing better.
Stay safe,
Bob

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:40 pm

Hello Zeph,

An outstanding update and progress on your special Dodge !!
You do beautiful work on all that you restore !

It is nice to hear that your wife has been recovering from her injury !
That is great news.

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:49 am

chibobber wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:47 pm
Zeph,
Next time you have to clean a cosmoline encrusted part, throw it in a black garbage bag and set it out in the sun for a few hours. Makes it a whole lot easier to remove. Used this technique on surplus Chinese SKS rifles. Some guys build boxes and put heat lamps in them to heat it up.
Glad the misses is doing better.
Stay safe,
Bob
Hi Bob, the bag trick for Cosmoline sounds good. I have a heat gun I've used before on small parts that works pretty good. However, there always seems to be some of that stuff that is hard as a rock! Well, in any event, it's nice to have NOS parts available still.

Take care!
70th Division wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:40 pm
Hello Zeph,

An outstanding update and progress on your special Dodge !!
You do beautiful work on all that you restore !

It is nice to hear that your wife has been recovering from her injury !
That is great news.

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Yes, she's into physical therapy now, so hopefully in a few months she will be walking around the neighborhood again. At least she can limp around now and get a few things done. Releases me from some of the domestic duties. lol

Take it easy!
Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”