Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
Bambooben
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Re: Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Post by Bambooben » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:03 pm

Hey, it’s been over a month without pics of your vizsla shop helpers. Any chance for an update?

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:09 pm

Bambooben wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:03 pm
Hey, it’s been over a month without pics of your vizsla shop helpers. Any chance for an update?
They are still hanging out and getting in trouble. I was looking for Alice a week or so ago, and finally found her:

Alice and I also went camping the weekend before last. She's taking riding in a vehicle to a whole new level:

Hamming it up on the trail:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:35 pm

Figured it was time to restore the steering wheel for the VC. Another guy wanted to know if I could restore his steering wheel, but it was really bad, so I pulled one from a half-ton Dodge WC I had out back to restore for him along with the VC wheel.

Took about two weeks of soaking the WC wheel in PB blaster and tightening the steering wheel puller everyday. Finally, after hammering on the puller when it was tight, it separated:

Used the Dremel tool to grind out the cracks and mixed two-part Epoxy to fill the cracks:

First coat of sandable primer:

Second coat of sandable primer:

Was going to restore a second half-ton Dodge WC wheel, but can't get it off the shaft. Have been soaking it in PB blaster for over a week. Tighten the steering wheel puller everyday. Have also used the torch on it twice now, but still can't get it off. Have mushroomed the shaft, and I' bent the puller so that it doesn't work now. I only hand tightened it with a wrench, but it's cockeyed now:

Here one can see the shaft is mushroomed now. Be hard to get it off now even if the rust could be defeated:

One can see how much the puller is bent. I guess it was only designed to remove steering wheels that have not been rusted in place for over 80 years:

I guess I'll keep soaking the other wheel for a few more weeks and then give it another go. Was hoping to just knock out the resto of the three at the same time. Oh well. I'll at least get two completed by the end of this weekend....I hope!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:50 am

Finished up the Dodge VC and Dodge WC half-ton steering wheel restorations. I think I can say they're good enough for government work:

I have an extra Dodge WC half-ton wheel if anyone wants to try their hand at a restoration:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:22 am

Started the headlight restoration. Really odd set up on the VC headlights. They have a glass lens that one has to remove a screw at the bottom that has a metal tab that will tilt inward. This allows the glass lens to be pushed in at the bottom and removed by the top coming out. Only held in by spring pressure. Sounds easy...it isn't

Then it took me a few hours analyzing how the bulb and the reflectors are removed from the housing. No external bolts or screws. They have a really interesting connector for the main headlight bulb. Spring loaded behind the reflector. A lot easier to remove the bulb when accessed from the rear. Just took a bit to figure out how these came apart. Didn't want to damage anything.

One reflector was tarnished. Tried a few things to shine it up, but didn't work:

The glass lenses are in nice shape. Both different types with different design in the lens. May be a left and right thing. Not sure:

Main bulb connector and parking bulb connector:

Business end of the main bulb connector. Looks pretty easy to remove by twisting. It isn't:

Success:

Nice match on the new connectors:

Finally used a combination of CLR, glass scrubber, McGuiar's rubbing compound, brake cleaner, Nevr-Dull, Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, and a lot of elbow grease. Finally made some inroads to get the tarnish off the one reflector:

Not perfect, but better than it was:

I have to change the wiring because the new harness connector is different and wouldn't be able to make the connection:

Time to blast and primer and paint the housings.
Zeph

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:24 am

Zeph,

That's quite the Rube Goldberg design on building headlights :lol: Glad you figured it out. I see the outer surface of the headlight cases are shiny/smooth. Were they blued or chromed or just shiney black paint? I suspect the sand blasting will give a great surface for priming and painting. It must be hard to find the correct parts for something as rare as a VC. I continue to enjoy your posts and admire your attention to detail. You set a high bar for us schlubs to reach, but I thank you.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:13 pm

Zeph,
When I used to restore old Harley head lights and spot lights, I would use a product called "Silverplater",on the reflectors. Takes some rubbing, but works great. E-Z Way Restoration Products, Mount Vernon, WA. 1-800-356-1022 Pricey but cheaper than a plater.
Bob

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:55 pm

17thAirborne wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:24 am
Zeph,

That's quite the Rube Goldberg design on building headlights :lol: Glad you figured it out. I see the outer surface of the headlight cases are shiny/smooth. Were they blued or chromed or just shiney black paint? I suspect the sand blasting will give a great surface for priming and painting. It must be hard to find the correct parts for something as rare as a VC. I continue to enjoy your posts and admire your attention to detail. You set a high bar for us schlubs to reach, but I thank you.
Thanks Oz! You're right. Rube Goldberg likely had a hand in the design of these headlights. Kind of what I hear about the German army in WWII regarding their tanks. Why use one part when ten will do the same thing!

These headlights were NOS and never used, so happy to have them. Not sure why painted black unless intended to mount on a black vehicle. I think they used this specific light on other vehicles of the day as well. I ended up glass bead blasting the outer housings. Just paint and no primer, so it came off fairly easily.

I taped off the chrome ring that is the bezel to keep them unpainted. They now look like this:

chibobber wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:13 pm
Zeph,
When I used to restore old Harley head lights and spot lights, I would use a product called "Silverplater",on the reflectors. Takes some rubbing, but works great. E-Z Way Restoration Products, Mount Vernon, WA. 1-800-356-1022 Pricey but cheaper than a plater.
Bob
Hi Bob. Just looked up the Silverplater. Very interesting product. Had no idea something like this was out there. It is kind of pricey, but if it actually plates that's pretty cool and cost effective. Thanks for passing that along. I think I'm going to order it and get these reflector back to original condition!
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:50 am
Finished up the Dodge VC and Dodge WC half-ton steering wheel restorations. I think I can say they're good enough for government work:

Hello Zeph,

So Impressive, what a great job you did on those rough steering wheels !!
What did you use for filler, and what final paint did you use ?
I may try to do this work on my GMC wheel.

Those headlight restorations are yet another Zeph special production, very well done !!

Your work is a great thing to follow here on the G :D :D :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:54 am

70th Division wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 pm

Hello Zeph,

Those headlight restorations are yet another Zeph special production, very well done !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Those wheels are a labor of love for sure. Lots of hand sanding, but very happy with how they turned out.

I used the PC7 two-part epoxy for filling in the cracks and missing chunks. Rust-Oleum gloss black for the final three coats. Nice and shiny. Someone said that I should clear coat them, but I figured if they went bad, I'd just sand and shoot again. These trucks don't spend a great deal of time sitting in the sun like the last wheels did for 70 plus years.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:24 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:54 am
70th Division wrote:

Hello Zeph,

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Those wheels are a labor of love for sure. Lots of hand sanding, but very happy with how they turned out.

I used the PC7 two-part epoxy for filling in the cracks and missing chunks. Rust-Oleum gloss black for the final three coats. Nice and shiny. Someone said that I should clear coat them, but I figured if they went bad, I'd just sand and shoot again. These trucks don't spend a great deal of time sitting in the sun like the last wheels did for 70 plus years.

Hello Zeph,

Thanks for the info !!
I will try doing my rough cckw rubber wheel, as well as a Dodge WC French wheel.

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:17 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:54 am
70th Division wrote:

Hello Zeph,

Best Regards,
Ray

Hello Zeph,

I hope all is going well with you in California !
Any more progress updates to report on your Command Car ?
Haven't seen any posts in a while, so just wanted to check in with you :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:12 pm

70th Division wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:17 pm

Hello Zeph,

I hope all is going well with you in California !
Any more progress updates to report on your Command Car ?
Haven't seen any posts in a while, so just wanted to check in with you :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray
Hey Ray,

Still here. I was having my shop built the last couple of weeks, so was distracted a little bit. Couple of shots of that project:

A little video of the progress. All done with the exception of the two main garage doors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5BPEqRbfwM

Also been fixing up some small parts like these rear fender brackets. One was a little bent, so tried to fix that:

Then I wanted to string my chassis on the VC1. Hadn't done that yet. Wow. Talk about out of alignment. I actually had to unbolt the shackles and grind the leaf spring pins to get the adjustment to get the rear axle in alignment with the frame and the front wheels. I mean I would likely be going down the road side ways. A lot more stable when aligned. I do all my chassis, but none have ever been this far off.

Funny. I saw a pickup truck going down the road yesterday, and it was way out of alignment. Looked funny to me.

Used a piece of masking tape to see how far I needed to adjust after I marked them:

Also received the Silverplate that Bob turned me on to. I wasn't good at using it, but I think the headlight reflectors look a little better than when I pulled them apart. After cleaning those, I reassembled and then realized that my new wiring harness for the headlights had the bulb connector pins 90 degrees off. I couldn't modify them, so I ended up switching the original connectors that matched the original bulbs to the new wiring harness. Was a little tricky, but happy to have discovered that before I installed the housings and then nothing worked:

Also slipped in the parking light bulb. It's the little tiny bulb:

Then I went to the radiator shop to check on the VC radiator. The guy said it's shot. The tank split in a number of places when he applied heat. However, after making friends with him, he's going to give it a shot to repair it. However, the side mounts that have the mounting brackets were toast. The other radiator had the mounting brackets to the rear. He wasn't sure what to do, so I said I can fix that and took them home with me and tried to flip the mounting brackets. Had to grind the spot welds to get the brackets off and then realign the VC brackets in the correct position on the donor side pieces. Of course, it bay be for naught as I haven't heard from the guy in a few weeks.

The next issue I had was the my lower yoke on the transfer case was leaking with a new double lip gasket! However, upon closer inspection, I found that the Permatex silicon I used didn't work and it leaked past the silicon I put on the input splines and the yoke. Not happy. Had to pull it and find some real silicon that works. No leak so far after the repair:

Used basically a whole tube of clean silicon hoping that it seals this time:

Now, I'm working on restoring another two Dodge WC steering wheels. Somebody stop me!

Also, started trying to figure out the tail lights. Looks like I only have one Dodge VC tail light. They are 3 1/2 inch in diameter vs. 3 3/4 inch like the Dodge WC military lights. Also, only one connector in the back. On the hunt for another one now. They have the black out covers that snap over the lens retaining ring and then are held in place by three machine screws:

I think I found some original DODGE lenses for the housings. The DODGE is curved as seen in this photo:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:45 pm

Hello Zeph,

WOW, WOW !!!!

What an incredible update, well worth waiting for :D :D :D :D
That new shop building looks absolutely beautiful, and very spacious to park your MV treasures inside !!
It must be a great feeling having this new HQ to put more vehicles inside out of the elements and have another work area if needed !!

Congratulations on this great achievement, every G member would love to have such a place !
Very nice matching color to the main shop and home.

The work on your lights look great, those certainly are a unique design form, very streamlined.
The silver work came out very nicely, and your steering wheel restoration quest is a great thing to be doing, keep going !!
The new restored wheels look awesome, like all your works!

What does the rear light that you are looking for look like ?
Is it like a canister shape ?

Keep up your great works, and keep us posted, great video too, was that your wife saying you wouldn't be able to fill the building?

:D :D :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:53 am

Thanks Ray,

Yes, I have to pinch myself sometimes. It'll be nice to have some extra room. Wish I could of done a lot of this when I was younger and didn't have to work, but I guess it was worth the wait.

lol...yes, that was my wife. I didn't realize that comment was in there initially. Funny.

The tail lights look much like the military bucket with a civilian lens retaining ring. However, smaller at 3 1/2 inch diameter vs. the Dodge WC style which are 3 3/4 inch in diameter. They also only have one wire connector/bulb. I know they are super rare. Only used on the VC's, so not a lot made:

Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”