G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:58 pm

70th Division wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:02 pm
Hello Zeph,

That is really looking good !
I can imagine it is very precise work that you are doing to create these cushions from scratch !
Most people cant do that, so I am impressed with your production.

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Figuring out how to make the panels and how they go together is a bit difficult without having a pattern. Slowly worked through it. Sewed a lot of sample cuts together to see what they would look like. Happy to have the main upholstery work almost completed. I may have to disassemble the rear seat bottom fabric and start over. Still pondering what to do there.
chibobber wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:23 pm
Don't lie. How much time did you spend on the seat, bounce up and down and make vroom-vroom sounds. Maybe you grabbed the missus and sat her next to you, arm around her, making vroom-vroom sounds. :lol:
lol...yes, I did sit on them for fit and feel. The six inch HD foam bottom feels great. I was worried it would be too soft, but it's pretty nice and firm. Couldn't get my wife to sit on them. The dogs liked them and used them as a trampoline for a bit.

Here's some shots from today. Finished the front seat back. Turned out the best of the four sections. Primarily due to receiving a cording presser foot for my industrial machine. Really a game changer. It has a channel that guides the cord in the ideal spot for sewing. I had to do it by sight where I could not see the cord on the inside when I sewed the first three seat covers.

Now on to cutting the sheet metal backs for the seats. I actually had an original VC metal seat back that I can copy for the front, and part of it will come in hand for a template for the back seat:

Now I need to blast the seat frames and the top bows. I wanted to get the seats mostly completed while it was raining here. Looks like next week will be bear the 70's. Rained hard this am, but as this afternoon, Spring has sprung...
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:56 pm

Spring has sprung?

what is that green stuff in the pic?

I’ve heard of it before.. grass maybe?
Wont see that for another 4 months here!!
Attachments
D8AB1068-DB51-4721-AEC7-0175D946DBAB.jpeg

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:12 am

wc56daveyboy wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:56 pm
Spring has sprung?

what is that green stuff in the pic?

I’ve heard of it before.. grass maybe?
Wont see that for another 4 months here!!
Haha...if we're lucky we can hang onto winter for about a month or so. The trees are budding, and the grass is growing. I'll likely need to get the mower out next week. I wanted to work on these seats while it rained. Now that the next ten days forecast shows there is no rain forecast, and will be in the upper 60's, I can move onto a whole lot of bodywork.... 8)
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:05 am

Well, I found someone who likes the new seats. Ralphie found them quite comfortable during our morning workout today:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:31 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:05 am
Well, I found someone who likes the new seats. Ralphie found them quite comfortable during our morning workout today:

Ralphie approves !!
He want to go for a ride !!

Great pic, and a nice cleaned out shop area for working :D .

The new barn must really come in handy to store the finished Motor Pool !

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:11 am

70th Division wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:31 pm
Ralphie approves !!
He want to go for a ride !!

Great pic, and a nice cleaned out shop area for working :D .

The new barn must really come in handy to store the finished Motor Pool !

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Yes Ralphie loves hanging out in the shop, and it is nice having the other storage building now. Really comes in handy and gives me a little more elbow room to spread out.

I cut the sheet metal panels yesterday for the back of the two seats. I think I'll cut a piece of sheet metal to make the cover that goes between the seat and the top of the tailgate area today. Need to get some good measurements and make the bends for that.

I think my helpers left their mark on the panels:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Fabbed up a cover for the area between the tailgate and the back of the rear seat. Of course, it's just a little too long for me to bend the long sections on my metal brake, so had to hand hammer it on the long edges. With the lip needing to be longer than 1/2" to 3/4", it was a bit of a problem getting a good bend. Ended up bending the edge 1 1/4". That length just doesn't lend itself to a nice bend. Not sure if I'll do it over or not:

Zeph

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:27 pm

I'd leave it. Can't see it from my house. :D Back seat will hide it mostly.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:26 pm

chibobber wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:27 pm
I'd leave it. Can't see it from my house. :D Back seat will hide it mostly.
I think you're right. I can always do it later if I feel up to it. Meaning it'll never get replaced once I move on.... 8)
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:19 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:40 pm
Fabbed up a cover for the area between the tailgate and the back of the rear seat. Of course, it's just a little too long for me to bend the long sections on my metal brake, so had to hand hammer it on the long edges. With the lip needing to be longer than 1/2" to 3/4", it was a bit of a problem getting a good bend. Ended up bending the edge 1 1/4". That length just doesn't lend itself to a nice bend. Not sure if I'll do it over or not:

Hello Zeph,

It does look good from here too !
Is the fold over right length, if too long, you can trim it a little, carefully.

But since you are likely the only one with an original restored VC Command car west of the Pecos, who would be there to call it out ?

Keep up your great work, she is really coming together, those top bows look great !!
NOS ?
I can't imagine how rare they must be !!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:57 am

70th Division wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:19 pm

Hello Zeph,

Is the fold over right length, if too long, you can trim it a little, carefully.

But since you are likely the only one with an original restored VC Command car west of the Pecos, who would be there to call it out ?

Keep up your great work, she is really coming together, those top bows look great !!
NOS ?

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

The pan was a little warped in the middle, so I cut the two long bends in the middle and laid flat. Should have left it alone at that point, but decided to weld the cuts to keep the strength. Now it's oil canned a bit.

The top bows are original. Pretty beat up and rusty. Took a day to bend all the bows back to their regular configuration as they were bent so bad they were two inches wider than the body. I believe I posted some photos and description above. I'll have to look. I post on FB too, so sometimes get mixed up.

The bows still don't fit quite right, but I'll figure that out later when I do some more work on them.

So happy to have these bows, couldn't imagine if I didn't have them. Can't be too many out there nowadays.

Take care,

Z
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:10 am

zepher11 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:57 am
70th Division wrote:

Hello Zeph,

NOS ?

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

The pan was a little warped in the middle, so I cut the two long bends in the middle and laid flat. Should have left it alone at that point, but decided to weld the cuts to keep the strength. Now it's oil canned a bit.

The top bows are original. Pretty beat up and rusty. Took a day to bend all the bows back to their regular configuration as they were bent so bad they were two inches wider than the body. I believe I posted some photos and description above. I'll have to look. I post on FB too, so sometimes get mixed up.

The bows still don't fit quite right, but I'll figure that out later when I do some more work on them.

So happy to have these bows, couldn't imagine if I didn't have them. Can't be too many out there nowadays.

Take care,

Z

Zeph,

I guess I was mesmerized by that olive drab pint on the underside of the bows :D :D
That looks original, but I did see all your earlier efforts on straightening them you posted .

I hope you can shrink the oil canning with a little effort.

Keep us posted, you are making great progress !

I still am surprised at how big this Command Car actually is compared to the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models !!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:37 am

70th Division wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:10 am
zepher11 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:57 am
70th Division wrote:

Hello Zeph,

NOS ?

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

Take care,

Z

Zeph,

I guess I was mesmerized by that olive drab pint on the underside of the bows :D :D
That looks original, but I did see all your earlier efforts on straightening them you posted .

I hope you can shrink the oil canning with a little effort.

Keep us posted, you are making great progress !

I still am surprised at how big this Command Car actually is compared to the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

It's interesting. The photo show OD on the underside of the bows, but in person it's hard to see. Very interesting. In any event, really happy to have them. The front section doesn't fit too well, but there is a strap tab on located at the center of the peak where it attaches to the windshield header. Trying to figure out how that strap tab is used. If I could pull down there, I think I the would fit much better.

It is amazing how tall the VC Command Car is vs. the other models for sure. Can't wait to get the body on the frame!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Started a bit of finishing body work. Can really see now all the metal sections that have been replaced. Entire reconstruction of the rear area above the tailgate where all the metal was fabricated. Pretty good job, but won't ever look as good as an original, but most won't be able to tell once it's all massaged:

The yellow body filler was added probably 10 to 15 years ago. This whole side was sectioned in and the entire body side is wavy due to all the heavy welding. No idea how to take the waves out, but I think if I mount a couple of Jerrycans on the side on the running board it will hide quite a bit of the waves. I think that's the plan for now:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:11 am

zepher11 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:06 pm
Started a bit of finishing body work. Can really see now all the metal sections that have been replaced. Entire reconstruction of the rear area above the tailgate where all the metal was fabricated. Pretty good job, but won't ever look as good as an original, but most won't be able to tell once it's all massaged:

The yellow body filler was added probably 10 to 15 years ago. This whole side was sectioned in and the entire body side is wavy due to all the heavy welding. No idea how to take the waves out, but I think if I mount a couple of Jerrycans on the side on the running board it will hide quite a bit of the waves. I think that's the plan for now:

Hello Zeph,

Great work tight there !!
The upper bridge over the tailgate looks great !!
I have to do that for a 3/4 ton Command Car, as it was cut away, but the 2 corners are still in place.
I wonder if Midwest makes those sections ?

Can you use a torch, hammer, and wet rag, to shrink the ripples in the side panels ?

I think once you start bolting items on, that will help blend any issues in as well.

Keep up your great work !!

Are you getting that giant winter snow storm where you are ?

PS- That is a beautiful Carry All in the background !

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”