G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:43 am

70th Division wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:11 am

Hello Zeph,

Great work tight there !!
The upper bridge over the tailgate looks great !!
I have to do that for a 3/4 ton Command Car, as it was cut away, but the 2 corners are still in place.
I wonder if Midwest makes those sections ?

Can you use a torch, hammer, and wet rag, to shrink the ripples in the side panels ?

I think once you start bolting items on, that will help blend any issues in as well.

Keep up your great work !!

Are you getting that giant winter snow storm where you are ?

PS- That is a beautiful Carry All in the background !

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

Thanks. The passenger side panel may be beyond me, but will give it a go. I think that using some body filler that I can at least smooth it out, and I think you're right that once some things actually get installed it'll look ok. Always looks worse when everything is stripped down and exposed. I remember working on my WC16 that there were a lot of issues like this and now that it's done I don't really see them now.

We did get some snow. About 9 inches here at our place. We're in the tip of the northern Sacramento valley and it's hit or miss if we get snow in any given year. However, every few years we get a good one. The snow all around us was pretty heavy in the mountains. All this is good for our drought. We need as much moisture here as we can get.

I just found the Carryall recently. It's pretty complete, so been going through it and have it running pretty well and now have the brakes working. I sold my other WC53 to convert to this one. I like the patina and want to leave as is. The other WC53 I had needed extensive bodywork, an engine, and a lot of TLC. Basically a full on restoration. Happy to have found this one.

Take it easy!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:22 am

zepher11 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:43 am
70th Division wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:11 am

Hello Zeph,

Great work tight there !!
The upper bridge over the tailgate looks great !!
I have to do that for a 3/4 ton Command Car, as it was cut away, but the 2 corners are still in place.
I wonder if Midwest makes those sections ?

Can you use a torch, hammer, and wet rag, to shrink the ripples in the side panels ?

I think once you start bolting items on, that will help blend any issues in as well.

Keep up your great work !!

Are you getting that giant winter snow storm where you are ?

PS- That is a beautiful Carry All in the background !

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

Thanks. The passenger side panel may be beyond me, but will give it a go. I think that using some body filler that I can at least smooth it out, and I think you're right that once some things actually get installed it'll look ok. Always looks worse when everything is stripped down and exposed. I remember working on my WC16 that there were a lot of issues like this and now that it's done I don't really see them now.

We did get some snow. About 9 inches here at our place. We're in the tip of the northern Sacramento valley and it's hit or miss if we get snow in any given year. However, every few years we get a good one. The snow all around us was pretty heavy in the mountains. All this is good for our drought. We need as much moisture here as we can get.

I just found the Carryall recently. It's pretty complete, so been going through it and have it running pretty well and now have the brakes working. I sold my other WC53 to convert to this one. I like the patina and want to leave as is. The other WC53 I had needed extensive bodywork, an engine, and a lot of TLC. Basically a full on restoration. Happy to have found this one.

Take it easy!
Hello Zeph,

That is good to have gotten the snow, and hopefully more before winter is over, to build up the reservoirs and the water table.

Congratulations on the Carry All, that is a great upgrade then from the one you had,
and you deserve that after working so hard on your other vehicles !!!
It is a nice addition to your Motor Pool :D .

I am still very impressed with the sheet metal fabrication for the Command Car upper tailgate area !
It looks great as all your work does.

Keep us posted !

Best Regards,
Ray

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:40 am

Zeph, I took my wc12 seat covers to a well known restorer of upholstery in the southwest and he did a very nice job. I have to say your work rivals his and you have done so in such a short time of having your sewing equipment. Thanks for the inspiration for me to do better in my work.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

1942 Ford GPW 352nd
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:38 am

Hello Zeph,
I have followed your restorations over the years and you have done some great work in restoring these MVs. I noticed the fuel tank used for your command car was a new and unused tank. I was curious if you had debated or used any kind of fuel tank epoxy sealer to prevent rust & corrosion on any of your other MV's? I had purchased a new fuel tank for my 42' GPW and I am torn on if I should use an epoxy sealer as it seems most people are split.

Best regards,
Todd

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:34 am

70th Division wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:22 am

Hello Zeph,

That is good to have gotten the snow, and hopefully more before winter is over, to build up the reservoirs and the water table.

Congratulations on the Carry All, that is a great upgrade then from the one you had,
and you deserve that after working so hard on your other vehicles !!!
It is a nice addition to your Motor Pool :D .

I am still very impressed with the sheet metal fabrication for the Command Car upper tailgate area !
It looks great as all your work does.

Keep us posted !

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray. I haven't done any of the metal work on the VC1 tub. This was all completed before I received it. Whoever did it did a great job. Maybe a few areas are a bit rough that I need to take care of, but generally at least all the metal replacement has been done. This must of been one rusty tub at one time. Lots of patch panels all over.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:39 am

17thAirborne wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:40 am
Zeph, I took my wc12 seat covers to a well known restorer of upholstery in the southwest and he did a very nice job. I have to say your work rivals his and you have done so in such a short time of having your sewing equipment. Thanks for the inspiration for me to do better in my work.
Hi Oz, thanks for the kind compliments. It's rewarding learning a new skill that hopefully will get better and better!
1942 Ford GPW 352nd wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:38 am
Hello Zeph,
I have followed your restorations over the years and you have done some great work in restoring these MVs. I noticed the fuel tank used for your command car was a new and unused tank. I was curious if you had debated or used any kind of fuel tank epoxy sealer to prevent rust & corrosion on any of your other MV's? I had purchased a new fuel tank for my 42' GPW and I am torn on if I should use an epoxy sealer as it seems most people are split.

Best regards,
Todd
Thanks Todd. The only fuel tank I've coated internally was for my Dodge WC16 Command Car. I had cut that tank open and decided it needed some internal coating after I put it back together. I did not coat the NOS unused tank for the VC1 Command Car. I thought it looked pretty good inside, so have left it as is.
Zeph

primal4x4

Post by primal4x4 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:42 am

I had to opportunity to spend some time looking over the VC-1 in Oklahoma City at the 45th Infantry Division Musuem. The curator was kind enough to let me take some measurements and templates. Of course, no crawling in it or dismantling it :shock: and no flash on the camara. I was very careful being my first visit and wanting a welcome to return. The excitement was a test of my will power. The VC had the rubber mat in place so I wasn't able to look at any part of the floor. The dim lighting and no flash kept me form detailing the under side of the vehicle. Also, I did not want to be lifting the hood or dropping the tailgate. With tape measure and note pad in hand I did make considerable progress and answered many of my questions and have a better idea on how to proceed with making a repo body. Here are some of the pictures: https://imageevent.com/primal4x4/ww2pre ... historical

Incredible Musuem, take a look: https://45thdivisionmuseum.com/
Ed Bateman

- If posted pictures don't show they can are found here: https://imageevent.com/primal4x4

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:15 am

primal4x4 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:42 am

I had to opportunity to spend some time looking over the VC-1 in Oklahoma City at the 45th Infantry Division Musuem. The curator was kind enough to let me take some measurements and templates. Of course, no crawling in it or dismantling it :shock: and no flash on the camara. I was very careful being my first visit and wanting a welcome to return. The excitement was a test of my will power. The VC had the rubber mat in place so I wasn't able to look at any part of the floor. The dim lighting and no flash kept me form detailing the under side of the vehicle. Also, I did not want to be lifting the hood or dropping the tailgate. With tape measure and note pad in hand I did make considerable progress and answered many of my questions and have a better idea on how to proceed with making a repo body. Here are some of the pictures: https://imageevent.com/primal4x4/ww2pre ... historical

Incredible Museum, take a look: https://45thdivisionmuseum.com/
HI Ed,

That's great you were able to check out that VC1. That will come in handy. The documentation photos are great. I'd love to crawl around one to get a better idea how they are put together. I'm thinking I saw a video interview with one of the curators for the museum describing their VC1 a few months back. May have been a different museum. I'll have to find that video.

One thing I noted were the black out lights "cat eyes" on the front of this VC1. I hadn't seen those on any VC1's before, or just haven't noticed. I have lots of VC1 photos, so now need to go back and see if I can see any with the black out lights on them. I guess it would need to have retro-fitted rear standard war-time tail lights as well to get the black out effect. Interesting.

Thanks for posting! I've tried to access Lenard's photos online, but the hosting site indicates he hasn't paid for his account. so one can not view his fantastic photo documentation of his VC1 work and parts. I found those very handy when they were available. Hope he can renew someday and get those back online. I could really use them now.
Zeph

primal4x4

Post by primal4x4 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:27 am

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euWn50zskic&t=7s

The video is not much but it is how I found out they had the VC-1. I will plan on visiting again on my way to the MVPA convention, or sooner at just 130 miles way.

This VC is very nice but as with most, there are some compromises. None of the lights were correct. The curator mentioned he was bothered by the rear of the VC, because of the wrong light and bracket and some body filler. I got the impression they added what was available.

Leonard's build album was the best. I will reach out to him when in So. Cal. next month. If he doesn't answer, I will set up an encampment on his front lawn until I see him :twisted: . Is the seat that needs picking up his?
Ed Bateman

- If posted pictures don't show they can are found here: https://imageevent.com/primal4x4

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:52 pm

primal4x4 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:27 am
Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euWn50zskic&t=7s

The video is not much but it is how I found out they had the VC-1. I will plan on visiting again on my way to the MVPA convention, or sooner at just 130 miles way.

This VC is very nice but as with most, there are some compromises. None of the lights were correct. The curator mentioned he was bothered by the rear of the VC, because of the wrong light and bracket and some body filler. I got the impression they added what was available.

Leonard's build album was the best. I will reach out to him when in So. Cal. next month. If he doesn't answer, I will set up an encampment on his front lawn until I see him :twisted: . Is the seat that needs picking up his?
Hi Ed,

That's the video I remember. I noticed that VC1 didn't have all the correct parts, but tough to find when one doesn't have them and need them. Gotta do what you gotta do.

That would be great to get Leonard's photos back online. They are the best!

The seat frame is here. I found a guy that was coming up and he brought it to me a couple of days ago, so don't worry about it. It was the rear seat frame for a WC53 Carryall. I'll see you down at Plymouth in a few weeks.

I do believe I have a few duplicate pieces for the VC1. Are you missing a few things? Not sure if they would be something you need, but I'll bring what I have extra for you to Plymouth just in case.

See you soon.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:56 pm

I am still working a little on the VC1. The weather has been epic with the rain. Zero rain last year, so got a lot done. This years seems to rain every day. I can't roll the body out to get a lot of sanding done. I've done a bit in the shop, but it gets messy fast.

Trying to hide the zillions of weld marks. I'll make is smooth eventually, but it'll be pretty wavy. Will need to add a lot of accessories to hide the body sides. This is a shot of the good side today:

Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:30 pm

John,
When you get to be 70+ wavy is OK. A little makeup and some accessories will make it look good. Who wants to see a 70 year old with no clothes. :o

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:56 pm

chibobber wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:30 pm
John,
When you get to be 70+ wavy is OK. A little makeup and some accessories will make it look good. Who wants to see a 70 year old with no clothes. :o
lol...you're right! She needs some Botox for sure!

On another note, I did get some new paint today. Phil in Kentucky sent me a spray out of the pre-war Dodge VC color. I already painted a lot of things, but decided to switch gears and go with the vintage color vs. my normal 33070. It took well over a month and a half getting the proper mix. I think the paint people there aren't happy to see me after a while. They would mix it up and I would shoot it to see how it looked. 50 mile round trip each time. Had to go there six times all together and shoot four different mixes before they got it right. I think it's good now. I'll wait for a good day and shoot something to see what it looks like.

Here's a photo of Phil's VC1:

My VC1 won't look as good as this, but hopefully, it'll be close to the same color!
Zeph

Ernie Baals
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ernie Baals » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:44 am

Hi John
Here is a great video with a lot of VCs in it
You can see how dark the paint is
Keep up the great work!!
Ernie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1jhnSQ ... YLZkifgeEY
Rip Dad 1/22/24 to 12/21/11
I will always love and miss you.
Ernie Baals MVPA 104C and 3104, AACA, SJC MVPA

Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government
that requires every citizen to prove
they are insured……but not everyone
must prove they are a citizen”

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:09 pm

Ernie Baals wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:44 am
Hi John
Here is a great video with a lot of VCs in it
You can see how dark the paint is
Keep up the great work!!
Ernie
Love that video Ernie! Interesting. I note that the VC's have the registration (hood) numbers in white on the outside of the hood. I know originally they had the registration numbers on the inside of the hood. I was going to only mark the registration numbers on the inside of the hood, but may rethink that now.
Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”