zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:11 am

chibobber wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:59 am
John,
Thanks for the update. Your motto should be" If man made ,it can be taken apart !"
Bob
lol...yes, now I just need to get it all back together!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:22 pm

I'm back. Slowly getting into the VC1 restoration again. I've been having issues with my Dodge WC16 and Dodge WC26, so spent a lot of time trying to get those trucks back to running correct. In the process, I used my NOS distributor for the VC1 in my Dodge WC16 to rule out issues with the distributor in that truck. Will, I learned something interesting. When I put the VC1 distributor in the WC16's 230ci engine the distributor was bucking and something was hammering on it. Really oscillated in when the truck was running. Weird.

Anyway. Found out that the early Dodge distributors have a larger diameter shaft as can be seen in the photo below. The top distributor in the photo is the VC1 distributor and the lower distributor is for a Dodge WC 230ci engine. Well after research found out the early distributors with the larger diameter shaft will be hit by the piston skirt in a 230ci engine. Learn something new everyday.

Since the engine in my VC1 is a T215 230ci engine, I needed to find a solution. I ended up chucking it up in my lathe and cutting the shaft down to the same diameter of the later smaller diameter distributors:

Viola! Not pretty, but the shaft is the same size now as the later distributors. i could see where the piston skirt was hitting the shaft, so shaved a little off. Stuck it back in the WC16's 230ci engine to verify, and it runs nice and not longer has the clicking of the piston skirt hitting it and it no longer oscillates. Now it's good to go for the VC1 engine:

Also started on the body work. Seems like all of the panels needed attention. The running boards, nose section, inner fender panels, and hood had some dents and cracks in the metal that needed welding up. I also realized that one hood side was n really bad shape after blasting. Found another VC hood out in my boneyard and the side I needed was in really good shape.

Also wanted to replace the hood side hinge rod with a brass rod. No future rust that way. The old rods were pretty tough to get out:

I'm not sure how the front end sheet metal goes together, so worked a bit to match the pieces I have to see if I could figure it out:

The upper front nose piece was bent inward a bit. Probably almost 2 inches. Worked on that to get it in alignment:

Also thread chased all of the threaded cinch nuts used to hold together the nose/grill and the fenders:

The hard part is going to be getting the fenders nice a smooth. They are pretty hammered. They are gigantic as well and pretty flimsy, so made up a little jig to hold them while I work to get them in shape:

Whilst working on the front fenders, I noticed that the holes for the headlight bracket had not been drilled out. Looks like they may have been repaired previously. I drilled them out and fitted the headlight mount:

I have these two pieces that I can't figure out where they go. Anyone have an idea where these may go?:

Starting to get stoked to get this thing wrapped up. Target date for completion will be April 2023 for the Plymouth MVCC show.
Zeph

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:12 am

John,
Mama must be happy with the kitchen reno. Let you back in the shop. :D Looking forward to seeing you finish this one up. Be safe and enjoy the build.
Bob

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:17 am

chibobber wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:12 am
John,
Mama must be happy with the kitchen reno. Let you back in the shop. :D Looking forward to seeing you finish this one up. Be safe and enjoy the build.
Bob
Hi Bob,

Thanks. Yes kitchen is all done. Happy to have that over and my wife is happy. Yee haw! Excited now to get cracking on the VC1. Still need to convert the two car garage into a craft room for her, but on the slow roll with that.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:13 am

zepher11 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:22 pm
I'm back. Slowly getting into the VC1 restoration again. I've been having issues with my Dodge WC16 and Dodge WC26, so spent a lot of time trying to get those trucks back to running correct. In the process, I used my NOS distributor for the VC1 in my Dodge WC16 to rule out issues with the distributor in that truck. Will, I learned something interesting. When I put the VC1 distributor in the WC16's 230ci engine the distributor was bucking and something was hammering on it. Really oscillated in when the truck was running. Weird.

Anyway. Found out that the early Dodge distributors have a larger diameter shaft as can be seen in the photo below. The top distributor in the photo is the VC1 distributor and the lower distributor is for a Dodge WC 230ci engine. Well after research found out the early distributors with the larger diameter shaft will be hit by the piston skirt in a 230ci engine. Learn something new everyday.

Viola! Not pretty, but the shaft is the same size now as the later distributors. i could see where the piston skirt was hitting the shaft, so shaved a little off. Stuck it back in the WC16's 230ci engine to verify, and it runs nice and not longer has the clicking of the piston skirt hitting it and it no longer oscillates. Now it's good to go for the VC1 engine:

Also started on the body work. Seems like all of the panels needed attention. The running boards, nose section, inner fender panels, and hood had some dents and cracks in the metal that needed welding up. I also realized that one hood side was n really bad shape after blasting. Found another VC hood out in my boneyard and the side I needed was in really good shape.

Starting to get stoked to get this thing wrapped up. Target date for completion will be April 2023 for the Plymouth MVCC show.

Hello Zeph,

What a nice update on your awesome early Command Car project, such beautiful work you are doing, and she is coming along great !!

That nose cone must have been a job getting it right, but looks good now, and very interesting about turning down the distributor shaft on your lathe.
Keep us posted on the fender repairs !

I am looking forward to your new progress, since you finished the "big" home repairs :D :D :D

Your shop looks great with all the wall art and pictures !!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:38 pm

Shot a little primer and paint on some of the VC1 parts. Weather was nice, but supposed to start dropping down into the 50's, so thought I better get on it today.

The upper nose section ended up having another minor dent in it that I couldn't see when it was blasted. I fixed a couple, but missed one, so pulled it out from getting any OD. Then the lower nosed section was just about completed when it slipped off the table in mid paint and fell face first into the gravel. I'll have to re-sand it and reshoot with the upper section when it's ready. Still looks decent in the photo, nut pretty bad:

Nice to get a few things into OD!
Zeph

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:39 am

Meticulous work as usual. You set the standard.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

primal4x4

Post by primal4x4 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:26 pm

17thAirborne wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:39 am
I'll second that motion

Oz, this is the first time I looked at your website. Incredible! More time will be spent going through the detailed pages.
Ed Bateman

- If posted pictures don't show they can are found here: https://imageevent.com/primal4x4

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:18 pm

Interesting to know that VC1 grilles are like buttered toast, they always fall the way you dont want them to. Plymouth is just around the corner!
Is it a Dodge showcase this coming meet?
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:09 pm

Hello Zeph,

That is looking great !!
The primed parts, and the olive drab looks great !!
It stinks when wet parts fall and get covered in dirt and crud !

I am sure hand sanding and repaint will make it all perfect 👍😁 !

The project is really staring to move along now !

Keep us posted .

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:22 am

17thAirborne wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:39 am
Thanks Oz. You do pretty nice work as well. Appreciate it.
primal4x4 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:26 pm

I'll second that motion

Oz, this is the first time I looked at your website. Incredible! More time will be spent going through the detailed pages.
Thanks Ed. I hadn't noticed Oz's page before either. I'll be taking a look as well.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:27 am

mdainsd wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:18 pm
Interesting to know that VC1 grilles are like buttered toast, they always fall the way you dont want them to. Plymouth is just around the corner!
Is it a Dodge showcase this coming meet?
Hi Mark. lol...yes, those grills were slipping around when I was completing the body work. Should have paid more attention, but always get in a hurry when paints being mixed up.

Yes, there will be a Dodge Showcase at the MVCC meet in Plymouth in April. More details to come soon.
70th Division wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:09 pm
Hello Zeph,

That is looking great !!
The primed parts, and the olive drab looks great !!
It stinks when wet parts fall and get covered in dirt and crud !

I am sure hand sanding and repaint will make it all perfect 👍😁 !

The project is really staring to move along now !

Keep us posted .

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Always a bummer to have to do it twice, but at least the inside of the grill is OD, so just have to worry about repairing and completing the repairs on the outside of the lower grill section. Will bee to remove some primer on the upper grill and complete some more body work on that. Shouldn't be too bad to get that knocked out.
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:59 am

Hope to make it to Plymouth with the CC in tow. Think I have sorted out a way to do that.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:25 am

mdainsd wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:59 am
Hope to make it to Plymouth with the CC in tow. Think I have sorted out a way to do that.
Right on. I wish I had a really big trailer. I'd bring a couple of Dodge WC's to Plymouth, and my GPW if they are having a Jeep Showcase as well.
Last edited by zepher11 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:34 am

Thats a big trailer! Im going more modest, a 20 footer 15K GVWR, so I can also haul the scout car too.

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”