WC 52 Engine Noise

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: WC 52 Engine Noise

Post by W. Winget » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:18 am

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-103495-Gea ... 345&psc=1

Mobil 600W is actually about an SAE 110-120W gear oil. Those non-syncro gears may quiet sown a lot with this added into your transmission. Not sure how much it will effect extreme cold weather driving, but then do you drive it a lot in the Winter. :D
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:57 am

Thanks
No I do not drive that much in the winter. They salt the heck out of roads here, and not so fun with an open cab either. :lol: I will give it a shot.
Thank you so much.
Curt

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:57 am

Hello Sir
I got the truck back and definitely not the Motor. Thank goodness.
The Mechanic said the Modern 90 w Gear oil was too thin for old Gear Box , and like you he recommended a Heavier Gear Oil. Just like you said.
I found a dealer of Jeep Est Sud and they sell this 85W 140 Gear Oil for all their vehicles. Do you think it will be safe to try it? It is GL4. I posted a picture.
I cannot find the one you recommended anywhere in Europe.
Thanks so much for your help and advice.
Cheers
Curt
gear oil.jpg
Gear Oil sold by Jeep Sud Est for Military Old Jeeps, Dodges, etc.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:50 pm

As long as it is Sulfur free so it will not effect bronze, it cannot hurt to try it.
The Sulfur eats away at synchronizers, but you have none in the 3/4T gearbox... :D
Any thickener may suffice, they used to put sawdust in the transmission of used cars on cheap dealer lots to quiet the wear down and trick customers. Not the best thickener.
V/R W Winget

Now if it works, start shopping for the parts or another transmission to swap out while you rebuild the original. WAW :wink:

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:48 pm

Thanks Sir
I will definitely try it. I already have ordered the new Gearbox and get it next month.
I heard that from my Grandpa about Sawdust. He said they would also mash Bananas in the gears also, for temp fix. :lol: I let you know how it works, and greatly appreciate all your help and advice.
Cheers
Curt

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:22 am

Worms & Osthofen'67-69
Schweinfurt 84-86
Wurzburg 86-87
Grafenwöhr too many times to count.
Tschüss! :wink:

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:19 am

Hey Sir
I put the heavier gear oil in and it quietened down alot, but the noise is still there but not as loud.
weird!!!! I am replacing everything from Pilot bushing to the Gear Box. I got a new clutch pressure plat from John Bizal, and the rest from Wildenberg. The John Deere place here is are happy to help me change them out. They work on Unimogs also. Mr. Krauss said " It looks so easy it is like a toy",
Great folks and he services all our forklifts for DLA,

Friedberg 01-03
Iraq
Wiesbaden 03-05
Iraq
Kaiserslautern 08-11
Afghanistan
Bamberg 11-13
Afghanistan
Kaiserslautern 13-16 Retired
My last Graf was 2014 .
I am now a Contract Representative for Mannheim APS site.
Thank you for all your help and I let you know how everything goes.
Death before Dismount!!!
Curt

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:33 am

So we pulled the transmission out, changed the clutch and the Pilot bushing.
There was leakage around the shaft of the Tranny and the entire shaft was "wobbly".
The pilot bushing was good, but might as well replace it while everything was out.

Had a hard time getting the new tranny in. It was a crane and not a jack( was broke)
Then everything lined up aa far as turnning the back of the back end of the trans, and could see the entire flywheel turn. The problem was the T/O bearing was hanging up the complete installation. We aligned the Clutch with the tool for Dodge Flatheads, but what was the problem. We could not push the transmission until a few inches of the Bell housing.
The one young guy wanted to loosen the clutch housing a little then wiggle it into the pilot bushing, and us the bolts to pull it in flush.

I stopped him, and now we try again tomorrow with more help. I hear pulling the trans in with bolts are always bad. Glad I caught that.

Thanks for all your awesome help

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:59 am

If you drove (hammered) the pilot bushing in, have you checked it's Inner Diameter VS the transmission input shaft Outer Diameter?
You may need to "ream" the pilot bushing back to the proper specification.
V/R W. Winget

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi
Yes, we checked that after your message. That was it and it worked. They had used a slide hammer.
Thanks so much, and it works much better now with no leaking and dripping fluid everywhere.
I will test drive to tomorrow. Today we had to repair one of the brackets that mounts tire holder and cross beam. Some genius used hammer technology trying to line up the holes, instead of reading the TM.
It had a crack at the top and was bent to the point it made the holes off center. We reshaped, welded, painted and put it back on. It worked beautiful like it should.

Thanks Sir
I let you know how the ride goes and it cured the rattle noise.
Cheers
Curt

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:14 pm

Well
I test drove today. Everything worked beautiful. The clutch has never been better with the new fork and all new stuff. It was great, then after about 5 minutes the rattle was back.

I am total at a loss. Stopped the truck and listened to the engine. Only the fuel pump made a ticking noise like they all do. We checked the bearings, valve clearance, and great oil pressure. two mechanics checked it. We replaced everything from Pilot bushing back to drive shaft. I checked to make sure all u joints were new and tight.

No exhaust leak at manifold, also new and tight. Water pump is old but seems okay, and not making noise or leaking. Belts, spark plugs, timing checked. I am at a total loss.
The noise seems to get quiet after 30 mph.

Could it be the starter and flywheel. The sound comes from that area of the truck. I did start the truck after taking the flywheel cover off. while my friend placed it in neutral, held the brake. I went into the pit and have him rev the motor. Nothing and made no noise. I did not see damage on the flywheel or did it wobble. I appeared to flow smoothly. Maybe with a load on it driving it does it? I also checked to make sure the starter pedal is all the way out. Its is new, but once stuck on me, but we readjusted it at the starter armature. It worked ok then.

Last question. Could it be in the axel or differential? If I could only crawl under it while its driving. It would help but dangerous. LOL

I appreciate all your advice and patience with my issue. I am totally burned out on it. So I will take a break and go to Ciney this weekend. Thanks again for everything
C/R

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:05 am

Hello
I found the problem noise and feel really stupid to what it was!!!!! It was the starter bearing shot to heck.
Unbelievable, when I asked everyone and they said it could not be that if it was not making a noise starting. So I did not bother it anymore.

After all the replacements and checks. It was the only thing left. I pulled it off and it was a 6v on my 12 V system. Literally, when you held it and turned it left to right. The entire inside slid back and forth very sloppy. Even when the arm was held tight. I held the arm and turned the gear and it was sloppy turn both left and right. The mechanic said it was a wonder it even worked.

I replaced the starter with a new rebuilt 12V starter from Jeepest France, and it fired right up and there was no rattle at all. The new starter has a return spring on the arm, where the old one did not. That helps the return much better. You have the foot pedal spring and this one.

After all that work and checking. It was that simple. I am stunned, angry but learned very much. well now I know the entire truck inside and out. LOL Thanks so much for all your expert advice and help. If anyone ever post this rattle noise again. I will recommend pulling the starter also and checking it.
Thanks so much and wish all the best
Curt

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:41 pm

Peace of mind is priceless when trying to drive back home some nights.
Now you know for certain what the condition of the insides of your truck are, MUCH better than 90% of others on the road out there.
So congratulations and enjoy her excellent condition.
V/R W. Winget

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:08 pm

Sir
You are absolutely right. Priceless is what I learned from you and others, while exploring the mechanics of the thing. I get to bring her back home in 2023. It is amazing how much better it drives and performs.
Thank you so much again
Chees
Curt

Blue1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Blue1 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:08 pm

Hi Sir
Long time since we last spoke.
I just swapped the engine out for an original T214 Early which matches my 1942 Truck.
I bought in Holland, put a new crank, bearings, timing gears amd chain, plus of course all new gaskets.
Then checked pistons, valves and Camshaft. all was perfect. Now I have a completely new engine.

The old one was a Franken motor. The block was from late 50s with T214 Oil pan and head. The crank had been replaced but after inspection, the bearings were wearing. The Dutch guys had used propane on it and the valves would need replacing. Dang propane !!! The block was re stamped for 1949 T137 and came from a Mowag. I will try to sell it because too heavy to ship home. I think my engine should last a lifetime now and do not need a extra one.

I also put a brand new Gear box in, and had the old one rebuilt. It will go home.
I wanted to thank you again for all your advice. It really helped alot. Have a wonderful Holidays Seasons
Cheers
Curt

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”