Zeph's Dodge WC52

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Zeph's Dodge WC52

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:34 am

Had a bit of an issue with my radiator in my WC52. Tree went through it. Not good. Have had it at the radiator shop for over a month now to get repaired. Probably be another month before it's done. In the meantime, I thought I would take the opportunity, with the whole front clip removed, to fixe a few things. Hole in the hood, hood hinge, and the paint on the front clip. Whoever painted it didn't use primer, so the paint has been flaking off for years now. The bed was primed.

I sourced a new hood hinge from Midwest Military and started the process:

Question for everyone. What is this plate that seems totally useless on both sides of the hood? They're on all the 3/4 and 1.5 ton Dodge WC hoods. Just a delete where an emblem may be placed? Been trying to figure it out for years. Seems like a lot of extra work just to have two bolts and a plate there:

Of course, body filler. The hood is warped from the heat when cutting in the hole. Made it warp more welding in the replacement metal:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Zeph's Dodge WC52

Post by chibobber » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:18 am

Just a WAG. The holes in the side hood with the plate. Could it be for a handle? The plate to be used as the back reinforcement. I imagine most used the latches to lift the hood sides so to save metal they just left it blanked out.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:27 am

chibobber wrote: โ†‘
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:18 am
Just a WAG. The holes in the side hood with the plate. Could it be for a handle? The plate to be used as the back reinforcement. I imagine most used the latches to lift the hood sides so to save metal they just left it blanked out.
Hmmm...that makes total sense. Have never seen a handle there, but maybe it was in production and was cancelled? I'll have to look at some post-war Powerwagons to see if they have hood handles. It would make sense as there really isn't any easy way to lift the hood other than the latches as you mention.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Hello Zeph,

Looks like important work you are getting done !!

Those hood side plates in question with the 2 screws are part of the radio suppression system.
The metal bar that is bolted there contacts the vertical bond strap bracket on the fender.

Here are some action pics from my Dodge manual .

Case solved ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Resized_20210722_203404.jpeg
Resized_20210722_203458.jpeg
My favorite manual !!
Resized_20210722_203925.jpeg

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:00 pm

70th Division wrote: โ†‘
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:39 pm
Hello Zeph,

Looks like important work you are getting done !!

Those hood side plates in question with the 2 screws are part of the radio suppression system.
The metal bar that is bolted there contacts the vertical bond strap bracket on the fender.

Here are some action pics from my Dodge manual .

Case solved ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. I have that manual, but I don't look in it enough. I'll have to check it out. I have the two ground straps on the hood. It's an original 6 volt vehicle. I've never really researched where all the ground straps go on the 6 volt 3/4 tons. I know the 6 volt vehicles has ground straps everywhere! Never would have thought that there would be grounding pads there.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:25 pm

Hi Zeph,

I like it, it is the only Dodge manual I have, but well written.
I imagine that the bolted in steel bar, is to make a rigid and solid contact with the grounding strap on fender while at the same time strengthening the side panel on the hood.
There appears to be quite a few on the 3/4 ton, many on the hood as well.

Keep us updated on your hood repairs !!

Ray

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:38 pm

Ray solved that! Great job. A handle there might still come in handy. :wink:

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Yes, that was great information from Ray!

I thought the hood was a lost cause as it had about a three inch tweak in it. It would pop one way and then the other. Then developed about a one inch divot on the front edge. It thought it was a lost cause, so I went to the boneyard and harvested another 3/4 ton hood and brought it in for work.

In the end, I decided to give the original another go. Took about two hours to heat shrink it back to its original shape, but I got it pretty close. I really did think it was a goner. After all the heat shrinking, I hammered and dollied it for a bit. I think I can save it. It needs some body filler, but tough to do body filler this time of year. I'll have to get up really early one morning and see if I can mix it and apply before it hardens:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:40 am

Painted and started reassembling the front end on the WC52. Also blasted and re-painted all of the hardware.

Painting has been tough due to the heat. Was up at 5am yesterday to paint my hood, but it was already 80 degrees. Ramps up to 110 pretty quick. Sure would be nice to have an air conditioned paint booth. One can dream. lol

Saved the one side of the hood. Looks a little wrinkly on the inside, but I'm not too worried about that. Skim coat of filler on the top side looks good enough for government work.

Good side:

Fenders turned out ok. A victim of the heat. I may re-paint, or just keep them as is. We'll see.

Also, received my rebuilt 12 volt conversion generator and electronic regulator. Converting to 12 volt. Changed the fuel gauge, lights, coil, and I have to replace my 6 volt electronic ignition with a new one. Not to mention battery.

I've added a lot of ground straps and buffed off paint for good connections over the years, but the truck lets me down every time I go somewhere. My other 6 volt vehicles are fine. Could never figure this one out.

Going on two months waiting for the radiator shop to repair my radiator. Would like to button this thing up. Probably be another month or more. One radiator shop in the County with one worker is not good. Eventually, I'll have to drive 160 miles to Sacramento to find a radiator shop, or maybe the few hours drive to Oregon.

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:18 am

Hello Zeph,

It is looking great , what a nice DodgeWC-52 model with a winch ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„
Nice save on the hood !!
Was the hole for a snorkel kit at one time ?

That is some incredible heat there in Northern California !!!

Florida is hot, but nowhere near that hot, feels like 100 here with high humidity, but cooler in the later afternoons.
Then the mosquitos show up .

Keep up your great works !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:25 am

70th Division wrote: โ†‘
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:18 am
Hello Zeph,

It is looking great , what a nice DodgeWC-52 model with a winch ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„
Nice save on the hood !!
Was the hole for a snorkel kit at one time ?

That is some incredible heat there in Northern California !!!

Florida is hot, but nowhere near that hot, feels like 100 here with high humidity, but cooler in the later afternoons.
Then the mosquitos show up .

Keep up your great works !!!

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

May have been some kind of snorkel. Had two square 1/4" holes to mount whatever it was. Happy to have it patched and painted now.

Yesterday I installed the Midwest Military replacement hood hinge. Beautiful piece of workmanship. Never disappointed with MWM's reproduction parts. It was amazing that the holes on the hinge aligned perfectly with all the rivet holes on both sides of the hood. That rarely happens! Only had to drill out one rivet hole on the driver's side for the front hood ground strap to match the other side of the hinge. I painted everything before I reassembled. Painted the rivets after installation. Nice to have a new hinge! Thank you MWM!

Had to hammer home two rivets by hand, one on each side, due to limited room due to the hood support channel underneath:

Rivets all painted:

A tad better without that gaping hole in the hood I would say!

Radiator has been in the shop for two months for repair. Tough getting anything done around here. Probably be another month or two before I get it back. Hopefully, they can get to it sooner and surprise me. I go by there, and it's always next up...but never gets done. People need to go back to work! Not really their fault. Only radiator shop in the County. Businesses are struggling. Sometimes I feel like going back to work...NOT.... :shock: :lol:
Zeph

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:48 am

Your work is an excellent example of what a NEVER Say Die attitude will bring about.

Very commendable....

...and very nice work, I might add.

Cheers
GPW1263

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:45 pm

Looking good! The new hinge makes a huge difference. I finally found a minty fan shroud for the -57. Im just not sure if i want to disassemble the truck that far just to put it in.

On the 12V conversion..

My understanding is that the 12V 3/4T used a 6V gauge with a resistor. Mine still had remnants of that up under the dash, so thats how mine is.

Then there is the voltmeter... I have read the 12V trucks had the volt meter due to the fact they were designed for radio equipment. I have seen WC51s and 52s with a voltmeter (and switch). I have also seen 6V versions of those trucks with either no voltmeter, or no voltmeter but the fifth instrument hole, filled with a big butch chassis plug. Just observations.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:52 pm

mdainsd wrote: โ†‘
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:45 pm
Looking good! The new hinge makes a huge difference. I finally found a minty fan shroud for the -57. Im just not sure if i want to disassemble the truck that far just to put it in.

On the 12V conversion..

My understanding is that the 12V 3/4T used a 6V gauge with a resistor. Mine still had remnants of that up under the dash, so thats how mine is.

Then there is the voltmeter... I have read the 12V trucks had the volt meter due to the fact they were designed for radio equipment. I have seen WC51s and 52s with a voltmeter (and switch). I have also seen 6V versions of those trucks with either no voltmeter, or no voltmeter but the fifth instrument hole, filled with a big butch chassis plug. Just observations.
Thanks Mark. No volt gauge on this truck. It's a 1942 6V from the factory. My 6 volt fuel gauge was bouncing all over the place for past eight years, so I just sourced a new 12 volt gauge from MWM. Hoping that it works okay. Sanded down the inside of the dash to help it find ground. We'll see when I get the radiator back.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:55 pm

Today I re-installed the hood seal that I removed earlier. Much easier to install than when the radiator was installed the first time. Not a lot of room back then. Piece of cake this time!

Zeph

Return to โ€œPower Wagon Forumsโ€