Zeph's Dodge WC52

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC52

Post by mdainsd » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:27 am

Holding out for April. I went to a fall meet, the last one at Tower Park in the fall and wasn't impressed. Its a long, long drive, especially with a trailer. Towing a big trailer through the greater Los Angeles area is a trip through hell.

So Lytle Canyon end of this month, Parker in January and Plymouth in April is the plan. I am seeing if my trailer can deal with the CC. I weighed the truck and it is right on the mark at 5,000lbs.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:08 am

mdainsd wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:27 am
Holding out for April. I went to a fall meet, the last one at Tower Park in the fall and wasn't impressed. Its a long, long drive, especially with a trailer. Towing a big trailer through the greater Los Angeles area is a trip through hell.

So Lytle Canyon end of this month, Parker in January and Plymouth in April is the plan. I am seeing if my trailer can deal with the CC. I weighed the truck and it is right on the mark at 5,000lbs.
I can understand that. The long hauls are a drag...no pun intended. Especially where we're at. Only thing close to us is Plymouth. Barely over a three hour drive, so that's nice.

Having lived up here all my life, and LA being a 11 hour drive for me to get there, I've only been there twice in my life. Last time three months ago. It was pretty packed freeway wise, but not as crazy as San Francisco Bay Area traffic from what I have experienced. Drivers there are crazy. Never ceases to amaze me what I see when I go down there.

5,000 lbs sounds about right for the truck weight. What is Parker? Thought about going to Lytle Canyon, but like you it's a 10 hour drive for me. Maybe next year.

Take it easy,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:19 am

Parker Arizona, or more specifically the Parker Strip. New show that is a spin off from the regular Phoenix meet. First one was this last January. Not a huge crowd, actually small. BUT, it is at a campsite right on the Colorado river. Walking distance to bars and restaurants on the river. Very cool! I think the low attendance had to do with first show and of course the Covids...

They had a dinner the last night with Keynote speaker. The guy is the curator of the Yuma Proving Gounds and gave a great lecture on the WW2 Desert Training Center, part of which became the YPGs. I spoke with him afterward. He has a shared interest in White Scout Cars. He said if I brought mine to the Proving Grounds we could tour the remains of Camp Iguana, something most people don't get to do as that area is closed to the public.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:57 pm

mdainsd wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:19 am
Parker Arizona, or more specifically the Parker Strip. New show that is a spin off from the regular Phoenix meet. First one was this last January. Not a huge crowd, actually small. BUT, it is at a campsite right on the Colorado river. Walking distance to bars and restaurants on the river. Very cool! I think the low attendance had to do with first show and of course the Covids...

They had a dinner the last night with Keynote speaker. The guy is the curator of the Yuma Proving Gounds and gave a great lecture on the WW2 Desert Training Center, part of which became the YPGs. I spoke with him afterward. He has a shared interest in White Scout Cars. He said if I brought mine to the Proving Grounds we could tour the remains of Camp Iguana, something most people don't get to do as that area is closed to the public.
That sounds like a great location for an event!

Came back from Plymouth Sunday, and wrapped up the wiring on the WC52. Only issue I had was the hi-beam switch. I never get that wired the first time. Of course not as it is one of the most difficult things to get to and wire. I had just put the floor plate back in before I tested the switch!

Anyway, that's the only thing that didn't work right off the bat. Every light and gauge works now and with new wire! Even the high beam red light works now. It was painted over with OD before this project.

The new black out switch and the panel light switch both disintegrated upon installation. They were not built very well and all the internals/springs fell out. Had to rebuild them, but they are fine now. Those springs in there are small, but I was able to find them.

That little red cap on the dash by the steering wheel has been there since I acquired the truck. Someone put in a 6 volt cigarette lighter. It was painted over with OD inside, so I cleaned it up and now it's a 12 volt phone charger. I'll have to find a better cap for it:

Let there be light! Happy to have all this completed now and running well:

I even installed the draft pads that I have had for like 7 years! Man that's back breaking work. And that last screw to the right of the brake pedal is a real PITA. lol

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:23 am

Hello Zeph,

Your work looks great, very nice installations !
I like the idea of a phone charger for the truck.
That is always a must have when travelling.

The truck looks awesome especially with the lights and everything working !!

Best Regards,
Ray

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:21 am

If you found an old cigarette lighter from a car in the junkyard, then 3D printed an OD knob that states: "Power" or "Power Wagon" in a double line, with the font of the CHOKE knob, etc. 99.9% of the inspectors would think it was a factory option. :D
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:36 pm

70th Division wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:23 am
Hello Zeph,

Your work looks great, very nice installations !
I like the idea of a phone charger for the truck.
That is always a must have when travelling.

The truck looks awesome especially with the lights and everything working !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray, Thanks. I think the charger will be handy. If it wasn't already there, and I were to put one in, I may find a more discreet location. I may look at the other trucks as well for a discreet locations. Not a bad thing to have whist out cruising around, or at a car show.
W. Winget wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:21 am
If you found an old cigarette lighter from a car in the junkyard, then 3D printed an OD knob that states: "Power" or "Power Wagon" in a double line, with the font of the CHOKE knob, etc. 99.9% of the inspectors would think it was a factory option. :D
V/R W. Winget
You know...I have a number of used metal WC dash knobs ratholed. That's a great idea, I could make a round piece of wood with an OD knob on it and it would blend in fairly well. Film at 11...lol
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:07 pm

Found a chunk of wood dowel that I sanded down to the radius of the charger hole. Drilled it for a 1/4 x 28 threaded rod and attached a metal light switch knob on it. Fits right in, and blends in a lot better than the red plug. Now if I ever use it for a phone charge, I just need to pull the knob out:

Zeph

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:14 pm

SWEET!
W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:24 am

zepher11 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:07 pm
Found a chunk of wood dowel that I sanded down to the radius of the charger hole.
Zeph, looks great! As does the whole truck! Nicely done with the upgrades.
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:03 am

twinflyer17 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:24 am
Zeph, looks great! As does the whole truck! Nicely done with the upgrades.
Thank you. It is nice to know there is new wiring all the way round now, and that I don't need to worry about it. Plus having everything working and a new radiator is nice too. Just in time for the fall. Temps have dropped to the upper 90's now, so enjoying that!

Can't wait for the first person that wants to light a cigarette with the lighter. I does say "LIGHTS" on the knob after all. lol

I almost forgot one thing. I need a trailer box so I can wire in the trailer socket for the six volt trailers.

Kind regards,
Zeph

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:53 am

zepher11 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:03 am

. . . I almost forgot one thing. I need a trailer box so I can wire in the trailer socket for the six volt trailers.
Zeph:

Vintage Power Wagons has NOS Trailer Resistor boxes (CC# 1089661) for $38.00 plus shipping. See their 2021 online catalog, Group 6 - Electrical -page 12. Can't beat a NOS box at that price. :D And you will need a special trailer receptacle with 5 wiring studs on its rear, not 4, because the ground blade is electrically divided in two. Should be a piece of cake this time for you. :wink:
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:48 am

LOL! Here we go again! Zeph just LOVES the resistor box and trailer socket!

wdxc3pw
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by wdxc3pw » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:33 pm

Fred, you are the man! Parts finder expert!

Frank

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Zeph:

Vintage Power Wagons has NOS Trailer Resistor boxes (CC# 1089661) for $38.00 plus shipping. See their 2021 online catalog, Group 6 - Electrical -page 12. Can't beat a NOS box at that price. :D And you will need a special trailer receptacle with 5 wiring studs on its rear, not 4, because the ground blade is electrically divided in two. Should be a piece of cake this time for you. :wink:
[/quote]

I still have never found a five bladed trailer sockets. Even all my 12 volt trucks have the four bladed. Am hoping to find one some day.
mdainsd wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:48 am
LOL! Here we go again! Zeph just LOVES the resistor box and trailer socket!
lol..well, thanks to you all my four bladed sockets work now on my 12 volt trucks to step the voltage from 12 to 6 volts for my trailers. Appreciate it!
Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”