Early 1/2 Ton Command Car Found and Recovered

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Early 1/2 Ton Command Car Found and Recovered

Post by mdainsd » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:50 pm

Very nice! I got new hinges from MWM for my WC-57. Finding the right riveting tool was a bit challenging, but I found one. I couldn't be happier with the outcome.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:25 pm

Hi,

That is great to hear !
I will order a hinge, maybe 2 , 1 for my WC-52.
I also will need to get hinges for the lower side hood panels.
If they are available that will be great !! If not, I will try to use a commercial piano hinge and rivet it in with the correct rivets the way its was originally.
I still have to get a Command Car shed built , as you remember I also recently rescued a WC-56 Command Car that I am wanting to get to work on as well. But I have to complete the GPW first, but will work on the Dodges as time permits. We have been having crazy rain everyday this summer, all day long. Makes it difficult to work on things, and build things as it is a different weather pattern from years before.
I will get to work on the hood tomorrow !!!
I am just amazed that such a beautiful Dodge was just left to rot away in the elements, abandoned and forgotten about.
I need to find a new floor assembly for it. I am sure I once saw them advertised , the entire floor.
But I haven't seen any listed. I will speak with Midwest and VPW to see what the options are.
They may be available in Europe.
I know the good people at Jeepest in France have the 3/4 ton Command Car 2 part rear floor panels.
Midwest lists the far rear 1/2 ton CC floor panel. I hope they make the main center one !!
I will find out this weekend if anyone has them over there.

She will roll again !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:11 am

I just ordered a hood hinge from MWM for my WC52 hood. And I received the rivet tool that Mark mentions. I think I picked up the same one he did. Looks like it'll come in handy for a lot of different tasks.

1/2 ton hoods are a dime a dozen. I think I have like five or six lying around. Doesn't seem like anyone wants one when I take them to a show. Should be some around near you I would think.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:24 am

3/4 ton hoods too :cry: . I bought 8 or ten of them to get two near perfect halves. Early and late, I stopped hauling them around as no one even asked about them. The original was more than good enough. But it only had its single faded coat of paint and visible registration numbers. I couldn't bring myself to sand it down, so it hangs in the shop now.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:04 pm

mdainsd wrote: โ†‘
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:24 am
3/4 ton hoods too :cry: . I bought 8 or ten of them to get two near perfect halves. Early and late, I stopped hauling them around as no one even asked about them. The original was more than good enough. But it only had its single faded coat of paint and visible registration numbers. I couldn't bring myself to sand it down, so it hangs in the shop now.
Me too. I have a nice 3/4 ton hood and nose hanging in my shop as well. Always wonder....where did the truck go that had this nice hood.... :lol:
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:38 pm

Hello Zeph,

The half tons hoods here in Florida are actually rare things. I have never seen one for sale, and actual half ton vehicles are about as rare to find in these parts too.
The unrestored WC-12 I found here in Florida was brought in from California by by another G member.
Most surplus vehicles sold in Florida are likely long gone due to moisture and sand. If they are left outside, they will rust into the ground.

I will try to save this rough hood, but if I can't I will make it a wall art display and look to find a good west coast hood ๐Ÿ˜
I practice my skills when I cut and weld patches , so practice is always a good thing.

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:58 am

Hello,

Does anyone have a set of half ton Command Car rear floor pans that are collecting dust ?
As far as I know they are no longer being made, but VPM once had them but that was years ago, and I talked to them today and they no longer have a supplier that makes them. I called Midwest, they only have the rear section under the back seat being made.
I will call John when he gets back to see if they are making any more of the floor.
I guess I might have to make my own, and use my other CC for pattern dimensions.
At least it will be covered with a rubber floor mat ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:47 pm

Hello,

Here are some nice pics of a WC-6.
What a beautiful Dodge Military Truck !!
The fenders have a different set of hole patterns for the headlight/cats eye lights. The cat eyes are attached to the headlight buckets, not mounted solo to the fender like the next model half ton CC.
id_wc6_700_03(1).jpg
id_wc6_full(1).jpg
I have located one good headlight assembly, does anyone have another one they might be willing to sell ?

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:52 pm

Hello,

Here is the 1 headlight assembly I will be getting from a fellow G member, thanks Frank !!
Screenshot_20210712-143503_Samsung_Internet(1).jpg
jpeg-imag(1).jpg
Notice how the cat eye light is attached, right to the bucket !!

I also just got a set of WC-6 drive shafts
...the power of positive thinking ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:20 am

The early Dodge WC's, T207 series, had the marker lights attached. I don't know why, but I have a few sets of those headlight buckets, but no T207's.

The floor in my Command Car was rough, so I made my own. I didn't realize they had made replacement panels previously. Hat channels from John at Midwest Military were super handy for that project. I had to replace all of the cross members, and then I had to bend the HC's for the tire surround area as well as the rear quarter panel 90 degree turns. I have photos on my CC thread if you haven't seen that part of the project.

What else are you missing?
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:56 am

Hello Zeph,

I followed your thread from the beginning, outstanding work !!!
That is great that the floor is able to be built from scratch. I see that Midwest makes the far rear floor section, so that will be great.
I need the driver's side headlight bucket assembly for this model.
The radiator is also missing.
I just bought a set of WC-6 driveshafts, and a new front frame cross member , and some additional parts.

I am missing the inner windshield, the rear tailgate, but of course much more.
I must finish a project or 2 first, but I would like to collect a few parts as I go so I will have them available for the restoration when ready.

The original fenders, I think I can repair and patch up.
They have rust damage in many areas. But cutting, welding, and grinding should fix them right up. I have a set of good 1/2 ton fenders, but not the WC-6 type.
I am trying to focus on not having any idle time, time which can be put to use repairing parts from this CC, my Jeep, and the 3/4 ton CC.
I figure if I keep at it, it will get done๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Inch by inch, the battle is won !!

You have been a great inspiration to me , on getting and staying focused and motivated !!
My New Years Resolution this year was to get something productive done, every day, whether large or small, just keep making forward progress on everything.
I have been sticking to it, and will be building a CC barn now, and finishing the 1943 GPW for which I have made a post for its restoration.

Naturally a good beer supply makes everything work together better ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:11 pm

Hello,

Well I have to start somewhere ๐Ÿ˜
I have restored a nice original glove box for the Command Car.

First , I had to hand sand it, then I re-spot welded both sides of the floor as some original spots had come loose.
That worked out perfectly and it is rock solid again.

Here are some pics :
Resized_20210717_170757.jpeg
Resized_20210717_182304.jpeg
Resized_20210717_182310.jpeg
Resized_20210717_231204(1).jpeg
A small step along the way, but I had some idle time and wanted to get something done ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I will store it away until needed.

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:14 pm

Hello,

I picked up a pile of parts Sunday.
Thanks Frank !!!!
Many are for the Command Car, and a few for my 43 GPW project.
Resized_20210725_163040.jpeg
Here are some pics of the early headlight assembly.
Resized_20210725_163410.jpeg
Resized_20210725_163436.jpeg
Resized_20210725_163420.jpeg
Resized_20210725_164853.jpeg
As you can see the headlight bulb is a Corcoran-Brown bulb, and in pretty decent shape !
I believe the cat eye is also a C-B light .

I will take it apart and see if it is a cover lense like earlier type ones a cars in the mid 1930's.
But it does say sealed beam on it, so probably not.
This will be a fun item to restore back into service !!!!

Best Regards,
Ray

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:08 pm

Ray:

That Corcoran-Brown headlamp bulb is a real treasure. I can't recall ever seeing one before. It's great that Frank included it among the parts you acquired from him. :D
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:56 am

Nice parts score Ray.

I did find three sets of the T207 headlight with marker lights attached yesterday. Sounds like you are all set there now. Excellent!

What else are you still looking for?
Zeph

Return to โ€œPower Wagon Forumsโ€