WC or PW? Spare tire carrier the same?

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

WC or PW? Spare tire carrier the same?

Post by wc56daveyboy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:54 am

Anyone know if the 3/4 ton dodge open cab weapons carrier spare tire carrier is the same
As a civilian PW...or no?

I’m pretty sure the 1/2 ton military differs from the 3/4 ton militaries as the 1/2 ton is straight, the 3/4 toners have a bend in them

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: WC or PW? Spare tire carrier the same?

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:09 am

The straight Power Wagon spare tire bracket will not fit a military 3/4-ton Dodge because the 3/4-ton spare tire bracket has a twist in it near its base to compensate for being mounted at the driver's entry, where the frame rail it bolts to angles inward toward the engine. The twist squares up the 3/4-ton tire mounting plate and stud to be perpendicular to the 3/4-ton running board that has a dip in it to accommodate the spare tire.

The Power Wagon spare tire bracket mounts further rearward on the passenger side where the frame rail is straight, so does not require or have a twist in it for its tire mounting plate and stud to be perpendicular to the flat running board where the PW spare tire mounts.

The military 1/2-ton Dodge spare tire bracket mounts in the same general area as the PW spare tire bracket, on a straight section of frame rail, so it too is straight and does not have a twist in it. However, the 1/2-ton spare tire bracket tilts rearward to move the spare tire away from the passenger door or entryway.
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

superdave
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by superdave » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 pm

I will ad that I would not use the word twist but the angles are different. the 3/4 ton WC spare tire mounts are a 90 degrees where the civilian flat fender power wagons are more around 60 degrees angle off the frame and the 1/2 tons are smaller and lean to the rear of the vehicle. you can see here in the pics. The two together one is the 1/2 ton on the left and on the right is the civilian power wagon (Dark Green) and the other pic is the 3/4 ton WC version.
Attachments
IMG_3105-1.JPG
IMG_3104-1.JPG
holder-spare-wheel-on-frame-dodge-net.jpg

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:15 pm

superdave:

Thank you for posting photos, which are very helpful. Your side-view bend angle is another way to distinguish and identify the three spare tire brackets, roughly ninety degrees for the two military brackets and about 60 degrees for the civilian PW bracket.

My twist is different from your angle. My twist refers to whether or not the 4 hole base of the bracket which bolts to the frame rail is parallel to the outer face of the upper mounting plate with the stud. As is visible in your photos, the lower bases of the 1/2-ton military and PW brackets are parallel to the flat faces of the upper stud mounting plates, even though they are not in the same vertical plane. Lines drawn horizontally across the back of the base (that bolts to the frame rail) and the front face of the upper stud mounting plate will never meet. Instead, they will continue parallel and separate into infinity (ignoring, for now, Einstein's Theory of Relativity wherein space is curved).

By contrast, the base of the 3/4-ton bracket is perhaps 15 degrees off parallel (i.e., twisted) from the face of the upper stud mounting plate, as seen in your last photo. Notice how the lower base is in a different plane than the flat front surface of the upper stud mounting plate, such that lines drawn horizontally across each flat surface will cross over each other in the receding distance, as two lines in perspective, even though the lines may not actually intersect each other because of different heights.

Thank you for your contribution.
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Super dave:

What’s the casting number on your 3/4 ton WC spare tire carrier please?

I always thought the correct casting number for a wc51/52 open cab 3/4 ton was:
CC925324

I also found one that “appears” to be the same shape and bend too, BUT it’s casting number is:

CC 925639

Anyone know if both numbers work, or one is right and the other is not?

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”