WC 51/52 beds out there?

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

WC 51/52 beds out there?

Post by USAFpj » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:13 pm

Gents- I'm at the crossroads whether I could rebuild my 3/4T bed, or consider what may already be out there. My composite bed will require a full wood kit with strips/fasteners, holes welded in, panel beating in the rear corners (what gauge steel is that :shock: ), front panel is bowed, and the passenger side tool box was torched off. Those re-enforcing vertical braces on the tailgate are factory spot-welded. Was this a Canadian thing?

I'm not scared of the rebuild, but if I could save the $$$ by finding a relatively dent free bed, I would consider that.

Anyone have a lead?

johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: WC 51/52 beds out there?

Post by johnseidts » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:49 pm

You have too much there to walk away from in my opinion. I have a WC-62/63 Bed which might have the pieces you need to repair your passenger side that I would be willing to part out, if you decide to go that direction. Otherwise, I think you are going to have to purchase another truck to get what you need.
John K. Seidts RN:
Wanted to Buy any aircraft parts or aviation items
Wanted- WWII US Medical and Engineer Items

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:21 am

Thanks, John. What tool would typically make a decent cut that would allow the new bed piece to be welded in? That steel is unbelievably thick..

johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by johnseidts » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:05 pm

It is 15 gauge which is a real good thing for us as you can easily weld 14 or 16 gauge to it and make it look good. I have some surgery to do on one of my WC 64 (KD) bodies, and my plan was to use a 6 inch grinder with a cut-off wheel, and the die-grinder or torch for detailed cutting. The thickness of the body works in your favor for making welding mistakes. Do you want photos and measurements of my front right corner on the WC62/63 bed to see if it fits with what you have? I just looked and have photos of the section you need. It is rough, but has what you need to fix your truck.
John K. Seidts RN:

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:51 am

You have an easy restoration; there are no more beds in the wild, at least none better than yours. I use a 4.5 inch angle grinder with cut off wheels; easy to cut that steel. Get some 16 ga sheet steel and weld away. Front panel: remove it and straighten it, or get a new one from VPW. Tail gates; cut off those strips with your new angle grinder. Vintage has those too.
My WC63 had both rear panels gone; I made new ones, and the dog bowls that hold the rear reflectors; are made from, dog bowls.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:07 am

Do you want photos and measurements of my front right corner...
Thanks, John. Let me evaluate what I'm working with. If I start working on that front right box, I'll PM ya.

johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by johnseidts » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:38 am

I still have the photos. Here is one of the section you are interested in. Think fast, as somebody else PM'd me interested in pieces off of it already... I'm going to say you have first dibs because I offered it to you here first.

John K. Seidts RN:

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”