What kind of WCs is my Dad posing with

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
Fushigi Ojisan
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

What kind of WCs is my Dad posing with

Post by Fushigi Ojisan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:56 pm

During my last visit to my parents, one of my sisters pulled out my parents photo album, and there was this photograph of my father from the Second World War.

He had mentioned working on Dodges, and his ride was a "six-by" WC-63. So I am curious what these units are

Thanks
Attachments
D2.jpg
D1.jpg

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: What kind of WCs is my Dad posing with

Post by zepher11 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Fushigi Ojisan wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:56 pm
During my last visit to my parents, one of my sisters pulled out my parents photo album, and there was this photograph of my father from the Second World War.

He had mentioned working on Dodges, and his ride was a "six-by" WC-63. So I am curious what these units are

Thanks
Those are 3/4 ton Dodges. Either a WC51 or WC52. The Dodge WC62 and WC63 were 1.5 ton trucks with dual axles in the rear.

Dodge WC 3/4 ton:

Fantastic photos to cherish of your father.

Thanks for sharing!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Fushigi Ojisan
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Fushigi Ojisan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:09 am

Thanks for the input.

Curious about something. Given my late father's experience was with WCs, did the Army have units that worked exclusively on GM or Dodge trucks? He never mentioned other trucks, just Jeeps and Dodges

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:51 am

There are more accurate descriptions than below but in a nut shell it depended on the unit (duty) you were assigned.
Wheeled Vehicle mechanic worked on Wheeled Vehicles, there may have been a specialty training for heavy wheeled vehicles, but it was educational classes required for differing skills.
The "Technical Manual" TM specific to the vehicle guided the mechanic through repairs, the jeep up to large trucks all are basically the same automotive system, usually just bigger components and occasionally brake systems (Air VS. Hydraulic).

Armor added a different set of tools and skills required as track/turret require different techniques, but a tracked mechanic could fix a jeep as long as he had a TM, he may be trained on ordnance for minor gun repairs as well.
Same with Aircraft mechanics (and aircraft mechanics tool set, different set of skills, some certifications, but engine basics are similar enough for them to fix automotive.
Ordnance Mechanic fixed artillery and there you broke out into small arms and heavy arms and artillery due to skill sets and tools required to work on anything from a .45/M1 Garand/M1 Carbine/M1A1 75mm Howitzer, 240mm Cannon. all had excellent TMs, but the skills went with the assignments and certified training for the repairs.

Then there are Echelons....these are levels of repair, unit mechanics change oil, bearings swap engines tune them up etc. If it required a rebuild they pulled it out and sent it to "upper" Echelon units that specialized in fixing those components or rebuilding a worn out vehicle.

In WWII the TMs covered pretty much everything from driving to rebuild, then they switched up in the late 40's to a system with Tech Manuals following the work loads
TM-10 Operator level stuff, check it out, lube it, drive it and report any obvious problems.
-20 Fix and replace components, troubleshoot mechanical issues do quarterly adjustments and oil changes.
-20P (the first level of parts manual for a mechanic to use in ordering parts, major pieces for their level of maintenance)
-30 Starting to rebuild the vehicle level of maintenance manual.
-30P Rebuild parts books (exploded engine parts, transmission components, starter teardown illustrations, brackets and fixtures, etc.)
-40 overhauls of the whole thing, troubleshoot circuit boards and sub component rebuilds.

Sometimes the levels crossed over if it was a simple item like binoculars and the book would go TM-34 indicating there wasn't a higher level pub.
Hope that gives you some basic idea, for specifics of rank structure and ratings there are plenty of other web sites.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Fushigi Ojisan
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Fushigi Ojisan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:43 pm

My Dad was in a HAM (Heavy Automotive Maintenance) Company, again, not sure if it was the 445th or 455th. I do know it was made up mostly of men from the Ohio River Valley and western Great Lakes regions. He mentioned fix and replace, so most of his work was -20 level.

One story he told me was that during the Battle of the Bulge, he was sent to a forward deopt/motor pool to evacuate as much as possible and destroy what they couldn't take. He mentioned that he only had room for "a tank engine". I had always assumed that because of the weight, that meant he took a WC-63. But after posting this, I found the radial sherman engines were a hair over 1500 pounds, could he have evacuated one in 3/4-ton WC?

Only other casual wartime photo my family has is him in Paris posing next to a Citroen Traction Avant.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:54 am

1500Lbs is within the capabilities of a 3/4T truck, easily handle it.
In general the Army load ''rating' is 1/2 of the road load, so if you had a 1/4 ton it can safely handle 1/2 ton on the road and 1/4T off road.
1/4T = 1000Lbs (on road)
3/4T = 3000Lbs (on road)
1-1/2T - 6000Lbs (on road) 6x6
2-1/2T = 5000Lbs (on road)6x6
5T = 10,000Lbs (on road)6x6

We have two WC 52's we pulled from barns down here we are going to go through for running and brakes, they were used in Medial role (deployed overseas and returned from Patrick Henry Field) and the other was in the Navy. Both surplused out in '47 or so and parked in the barn. only one has a 3" rusty area. Great find and eventual purchase for someone wanting a 99% survivor truck.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Fushigi Ojisan
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Fushigi Ojisan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:27 am

Thank you.

This means my father could have used as WC-52 as his "daily driver" and the WC-63 for missions.

Would like to see pics of yours if possible.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Fushigi Ojisan
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Fushigi Ojisan » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:29 pm

Another wartime pic of my Dad
20210501_192953.jpg

Fushigi Ojisan
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Fushigi Ojisan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:06 am

Just putting it put there, Dad passed away on this day in 2009

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:00 am

All honor to your Father. I miss mine every day. We are fortunate to have men in our lives who taught, thought, gave and led us on a good path. Of course, to the women who did some heavy lifting in that process also.
Best to you, Eddie
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”