WC Windshield Frame Cowl Seal Question

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
signsup
banned

WC Windshield Frame Cowl Seal Question

Post by signsup » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 am

Acquired an outer windshield frame and was told it was a European return, but would fit perfectly with the inner windshield and to my WC56 command car, which it does. However when I purchased the outer windshield to cowl gasket from Vintage Powerwagons, I was told it just slipped into some sort of track or groove on the lower frame. And the gasket is basically round with a little flap on it to do so.
However, I cannot find any sort of groove or track on my windshield nor can I find any screw mounting holes to attach anything to the bottom rail or lower front skin of the frame..

Before I resort to creating my own fix like just gluing or drilling and screwing some sort of attachment through this gasket, amy I missing something? Does this European return mention make this a different style f gasket that I need to acquire?

I can take and post photos, but it is what it is. Any thoughts,, or suggestions?

I'll hang up and listen. can go anywhere.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: WC Windshield Frame Cowl Seal Question

Post by zepher11 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:56 am

Here is the one on my WC52. Just above the seal is the channel which is made into the sheet metal. Be interested in seeing your outer frame section. The seal does just slide in there if not beat up and rusted...or actually just there:
WC52 Cowl Seal.JPG
Cowl Seal - 3/4 Ton Dodge WC
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Outer frame came to us a little toasty, so we don't know if Bubba ground off the gasket track or if the lower skin has been replaced sometime in it's lifetime. I cannot feel any traces of the old track if there was one. But it sounds like with no track in place I am on my own as to how to attach this seal.
I take photos like I mow my lawn...if I go over the same place often enough, I'm bound to get coverage. So I apologize in advance for the photos...but here is what I have to work with. Inner frame is being painted, so it is not installed in these photos.
windshield 1.JPG
windshield 2.JPG
windshield 3.JPG
windshield 4.JPG
windshield 5.JPG
windshield 6.JPG
windshield 7.JPG
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Yes, looks like it's been ground off or replaced in the past. Unless it's an early late thing with the type of seal. My seal is the canvas style vs. rubber like used on the Jeeps.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:13 am

Just another shot for consideration, here's a Survivor 1943 Dodge WC51 we hauled home last week, Barn stored for the past 40+ years, one is US Navy, one US Army assigned to Patrick Henry Field and maintenance sheets showing lube and parts out of Fort Belvoir (at least the signing officer was out of there) has 20K on the clock.
I had to remove some 4" extension brackets the Navy had mounted on the windshield hinges to make the windshields lean backward for some dumb reason, at least the original hardware was there. Note the canvas gasket is either fully crushed into an indentation, or made that way at the factory.
V/R W. Winget
Navy Dodge Windshield gasket.jpg
1943 Dodge Windshield Factory fitted
Hing mod.jpg
Hotrod Hinge Mod tilting windshield back on both vehicles Original parts still in place.
Survivors.jpg
Pair of 1943 WC 51 Survivors USN and US Army
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Ted-Ber
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Ted-Ber » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:14 pm

Hello Dodge experts.
A colleague bought a Dodge WC (VIN No. 31695910) with body number 4290-164881 in which there are fragments of the windshield frame seal made of tarpaulin (canvas). Question - were such original and in what years used?
Last edited by Ted-Ber on Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:14 pm

I'd think with Rubber being a Wartime Shortage item, the canvas (as seen on the trucks above) would be the Wartime issue item.
Might have to look at an original manual or Parts SNL to tell though.
V/R W Winget

PS: Still have these 2 trucks if anyone wants one, we'll eventually start them up and then list them, but open to someone wanting to spend 7-8K on a decent survivor before I get busy. WAW
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Tim Shanteler
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tim Shanteler » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:55 am

I've had 2 windshields with canvas in them.
Tim

1945 WC-57 81674456
1944 WC-52 81750129
1945 MB 430629
1943 Ford GPW133609
1943 Ben Hur 0347395 (Gertstenlager)

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”