Yesterday, I attempted to fix the dash on the Carryall yesterday. The PO really couldn't have cut this panel out in a worse spot. All those ribs and cut the top right at the belt line where the dash rolls over. Really hard to weld and next to impossible to get a grinder in there without nicking another section of the ribbed area. Very tedious.
I wrapped up for the day and shot some primer on it to see how bad it will look. I may need to use a little Lab Metal or body filler once I get it in a little better shape:
Also welded on the inside. A bit tight in there. However, if I would have thought about it, I should have welded only on the inside. Then it would have been easier to clean up on the outside by filling in the voids with Lab Metal or body filler...:
Today, I adjusted the metal brake to bend up some window boxes. First cutting the sheet metal is always a challenge, but bought a saw which is pretty amazing. Metal doesn't get hot, and it doesn't create any sparks. Cuts like butter.
Bending up the boxes is a bit of a challenge, but gave it a shot. I think I may have went a little too thick gauge wise. I had measure the boxes and thought they were 18 gauge.
First I wanted to see if I could make up some window channels that go into the box. After adjustments, the third one came out pretty good. The others look okay too, but I was just trying to dial the machine in:
One can see the original channel in here. It's a bit rotted out like the boxes:
Cutting the box out:
Looks like a big rat was in behind the boxes. Actually, I think the PO thought it wasn't rusting quick enough and decided to aid the process by introducing some insulation behind all the boxes. Odd:
Backside and bottom of the window box. A bit rotted:
Here is my first attempt at a box. A little tricky to make the multiple bends:
Looks like it will fit. Will need some more work to complete, but I ran out of time today:
Overall, it was a good rainy day project.