Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Well, the day has arrived where I needed to massage the tailgate. I knew it would be out of alignment with the body. I measured from multiple points on each side of the interior back to the rears posts and all the measurements matched side to side, so I figured the tailgate was a bit twisted? Wasn't sure that to do, but I found this photo and description in one of my manuals. I figured I would stick a block between the upper part and give it a talking to.

Here's the manual photo:

The passenger side looks pretty decent:

Driver's side...not so much. Bit of a gap at the top:

And the body line gap is a bit wonky:

Time for a high dollar block treatment:

I channeled my former karate days and used my heel on the upper left point on the tailgate. It was kinda high, but I landed a few good ones. I missed a few times high...and low....not good. Dented it pretty well on the low misses:

After many many heel blows, it finally moved to where I think I can live with it:

Even the seam looks better after closing the gap:

The fallout was that the lower passenger side of the tailgate started moving outward:

After repeated heel blows, knocked out a bunch more coal slag:

Stuck on the top door. It fits pretty good now as well. I just need to figure out how to move it over toward the passenger side a bit:

I decided to fix the body line gaps where the lower door meets the body. I tried a number of things like bending/folding a section of 18 gauge, but that didn't do too well, so used two sections of 14 gauge and welded them together to match the thickness of the tailgate:

Welding a bit on the inside:

Mostly added to the driver's side:

Added on little section to the passenger side:

Now need to do a little grinding to get the fit and feel down.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Karate? Did not know that. I don't think I can get my foot that high. Looks like it worked. Is the rest of the door pretty solid?
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Zeph,
It's getting there.Got to love that old thick sheet metal. :D

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm

timsresort wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:57 pm
Karate? Did not know that. I don't think I can get my foot that high. Looks like it worked. Is the rest of the door pretty solid?
Overall, the lower door is a wrinkly, but I'll try to smooth it out. Seems solid though. I think it was re-skinned in its past. The left rear quarter took a pretty big hit and was crushed inward. The lower door looks like it was crushed in the same incident. I can see some repair work that was completed. Not too sure how much body filler is on it yet until I blast it.

chibobber wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:14 pm
Zeph,
It's getting there.Got to love that old thick sheet metal. :D
Tim's got me on the clock, so I need to get cracking. The Carryall metal seems to be fairly thin compared to the half-ton command car. The tailgate is pretty solid though. I must have kicked that thing a fifty times. I think I had about a 33% hit average. Missing high was an adventure!
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:45 am

Those Carryall tailgates are the Achilles heel of those trucks in my opinion. Reminds be of a story. A friend and I were clearing out "inventory" (clutter in the back yard). We advertised all the junk and in the mix were three axles out from under a dodge 6X6. A guy shows up driving a half ton carry all and wants all three axles. Sold em to him and asked when he wanted to pick them up. He says right now! My friend and I look at each other in disbelief. But the guy brought a friend and they boosted the first axle up in the back of that poor old truck. They tried the second one (with out help) and couldn't make it in with just one lift. The weight of that axle was supported on that poor tailgate and it instantly did an imitation of a taco shell, it was folded at about 90 degrees. The guy just carried on and got all three axles in that poor truck.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:10 pm

mdainsd wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:45 am
Those Carryall tailgates are the Achilles heel of those trucks in my opinion. Reminds be of a story. A friend and I were clearing out "inventory" (clutter in the back yard). We advertised all the junk and in the mix were three axles out from under a dodge 6X6. A guy shows up driving a half ton carry all and wants all three axles. Sold em to him and asked when he wanted to pick them up. He says right now! My friend and I look at each other in disbelief. But the guy brought a friend and they boosted the first axle up in the back of that poor old truck. They tried the second one (with out help) and couldn't make it in with just one lift. The weight of that axle was supported on that poor tailgate and it instantly did an imitation of a taco shell, it was folded at about 90 degrees. The guy just carried on and got all three axles in that poor truck.
Yes, those things get beat up for sure. Just getting back into the swing of things. My Sony laptop bit the dust after 10 years. Really bummed out about that. After a period of mourning, about an hour...I had to go to Best Buy to find a replacement that wouldn't be close to what I had. Sony doesn't make laptops any longer.

Well, talked into a HP laptop. Spent half a day getting it running. Next morning...it exploded. Last computer, ten years. New computer, ten hours. Much what I figured would happen. Take it back get a replacement HP. Yeah, these are great they say. Next one lasts two days...dead after setting it up. Much what I figured. Moved on to a Dell. Seems to still be working well after a week or so now. Still painful. Laptops are completely different than they were 10 years ago.

Anyway, in the meantime, I continued to work on the lower tailgate for the Carryall. Welded some more on the metal to close the body line gaps. Then a bit of grinding here and there. Lots of installing and removing the tailgate:

Last Sunday I slipped out of the house at 3:30am and made the four and a half hour drive over to South Lake Tahoe to Timsresort. He found a 3/4 ton Carryall. I, of course, decided to recover it. Why? I have no idea. Oh well, made it back over Echo Summit at about 7,400 feet with my crappy brakes after replacing the wheel hubs on my F-250 the day before. They don't make those like they used to as well, but now have them figured out.

Pretty complete '42 Carryall. I know Dodge made 8,400 of these for the military in 1942 only. Not sure why they didn't make that many, but there were discontinued early. Maybe the same reason they had to discontinue the Command Car production during the war. Don't call it a Command Car and maybe the Germans won't single it out for an 88 up the tailpipe.

Anyway, pretty complete, but hammered pretty hard all around:

The PO squeezed a Spitfire 251 in there. sort of a sought after engine, but disassembled in the engine bay. Pan is missing with the pistons and rods off the crank. They're inside the vehicle along with the oil pan, but the crank is a bit rusty in the block:

PO also punched through a huge bolt for a tire holder right through the window regulator. Ouch!

Some light blue paint under some OD. Appears it says United States Coast Guard in dark blue paint:

Some early rare T207 Dodge WC headlights buckets in the back:

Dash is in pretty decent shape:

This had a snow plow on it, and sadly they welded a plate right over the serial number. It appears the serial number is lost to history forever. Not sure how to get this registered yet. The pink slip has the engine number as the VIN number. The engine is long gone of course. Oh well, I'll figure it out:

Pretty cool rig. Almost thinking of just getting it running and keep the look. Well have to think about that....
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:35 pm

I'll take that voltmeter! :twisted:
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:44 pm

mdainsd wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:35 pm
I'll take that voltmeter! :twisted:
lol..yeah, was very happy to see that was in nice shape. The one in my WC57 is roached. :shock: I don't think I have ever seen one of those for sale before. Like the half-ton radio car gauges they are rare. I have found a couple of the half-ton gauges, however.

Do you know the manufacturer of the voltmeter gauge?
Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:27 pm

....and the motor pool just keeps on a' growin'!!! :shock: (Mrs.Zephs reaction)

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:52 pm

chibobber wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:27 pm
....and the motor pool just keeps on a' growin'!!! :shock: (Mrs.Zephs reaction)
Fortunately, she was out of town. She's back now. Still sitting on the trailer next to the house as I figure out where to rat-hole it, I know she has seen it, but no comment....yet! :o
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:04 pm

Been crazy here. Has been in the 80's and then right before Thanksgiving it snows and rains. Funny, I went to HF to check out the deals this morning. It's obvious that a lot of folks waited till the last second before the storm to prepare:

Meanwhile, back to the Carryall project, I figured I better get the rear fenders in shape and fitted to the body before I paint. The fenders were pretty beat up from the one accident that caved in the driver's side quarter panel. Plus, there were a lot of whiskey dents as well. They are waded up pretty good:

Fitted the passenger side. Doesn't fit too well at the rear where it was really beat up. I cut a little piece of the welting/fender seal that should help covering up some flaws. I hammered on it pretty good with it in place. Actually too good as I actually broke loose a bunch of the body filler. I didn't realize I was hammering right on the wheel well. Kind of a bummer to have to do that all over again, but oh well:

Next I moved on to the driver's side. Really was bent down at the rear where the fuel filler goes through the fender here:

Wasn't sure how to fix that. Wanted to hammer on it while it was mounted, but after the disaster to the passenger side wheel well, I decided not to do so. I finally decided I would chain down the rotisserie and used the engine hoist for what it was intended to do. Everything but pull an engine. haha:

Well, that didn't work too well, so had to remove it and pull out the BFH and go to town on it. These fenders are not easy to handle. The are like almost six feet long and thin. Tough to hold in position and hammer on them, but I managed the best I could. Finally beat it enough where I think I can live with both the fenders now:

Now I can blast all the Bondo and paint off the fenders and reapply some body filler and see how they end up.

Check what I found today. As I was lying on the floor of the garage getting intimate with the fenders I noticed something on the ceiling. Well, yesterday I was grinding a bolt off an exhaust manifold with a 3" cut off wheel. The wheel caught and exploded. Couldn't find all the parts of the cut off wheel. Well, today I found the other piece that I couldn't find. In the ceiling! Glad I position myself differently after hearing of people getting injured when these things let go. I need to start wearing my full face shield when using the wheel:

Stuck the landing.
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:55 pm

Welcome to my world or rear fender shenanigans...

There is a part of 1/2t carry all rear fenders on the big online auction site. Maybe moves you ahead?

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:34 pm

mdainsd wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:55 pm
Welcome to my world or rear fender shenanigans...

There is a part of 1/2t carry all rear fenders on the big online auction site. Maybe moves you ahead?
I'll have to take a look. I saw what I thought were command car fenders on there the other day. Maybe they were the carryall fenders. Thanks.
Zeph

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:08 pm

Zeph:

I'm curious as to why you encased much of your RapidAir Maxline compressed air tubing with what looks like water heater pipe insulation. Are you trying to keep the compressed warm, cool, or at a constant temperature? Or for some other reason? Thanks, and . . .
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:05 pm

Fred Coldwell wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:08 pm
Zeph:

I'm curious as to why you encased much of your RapidAir Maxline compressed air tubing with what looks like water heater pipe insulation. Are you trying to keep the compressed warm, cool, or at a constant temperature? Or for some other reason? Thanks, and . . .
Hi Fred,

Yes, it was for a very scientific reason...NOT! The blue line comes coiled up and it's very difficult to get perfectly straight. I have seen where guys build an elaborate wheel system to try and get it perfectly straight. I decided to use some extra electrical conduit to cover the blue line so I didn't have to stress out looking at it not being perfectly straight. I'm a little tiny bit anal, and that would drive me crazy. I thought it would also give it a somewhat industrial look.

Long story short, I just couldn't stand the blue Maxline being perfectly straight. I know I'm a little weird that way. :shock:
Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”