Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:32 pm

wc56daveyboy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm
Zeph. Looking at your line up of available distributors, looks like none of them have the vacuum
Advance module or am
I missing something in the pics?

I'm about to replace my non vacuum, full
Mechanical distro with a vacuum advance to see if I can improve performance
HI Dave,

Yes. No vacuum advance modules. Vacuum advance was used from the T207 series until engine number 42001 in the T211 series. Engine number 42002 and beyond in the T211 series and all of the T215 trucks have mechanical advance distributors. No vacuum advance. My T211 Command Car project had a pre-42001 block, so I used a vacuum advance distributor. I think one can install a vacuum advance in a T211 series with an engine number beyond 42001, and in a T215 truck. They just would not be factory correct if one is into that thing.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Getting a lot of the small parts cleaned up for the Carryall. Finished up the Military Junior oil canister:

Rebuilt the firewall junction block. I bet the Dodge factory just received these ready to go. Not on this project. Take it off and complete rebuild:

Cleaned up fairly well:

Next was the fuel filter:

Have some others that I already rebuilt. At least they will be ready to go when needed on a future project:

Finished cleaning up the governor. I end up painting the governor, however I doubt that is correct. Love the old boxes of the day:

Next was the air cleaner. I dropped the darn thing and dented the lid so had to fix:

A number of rust holes about a inch up from the bottom of the insert. Used JB Weld to patch the holes. Also used body filler on the dented lid as there was no access from inside:

Started fitting the oil lines. Best to install these before the starter is actually bolted in:

The half-ton Dodge WC carburetors have distinctive tilt inward toward the engine. Not sure why:

I also cleaned up and installed the clutch and brake pedals. Installed a new bushing in the brake pedal:

Had to drill the hole to allow grease to enter the bushing:

All installed. The chassis is basically completed with the exception of cleaning and installing the three drive lines:

Today I started to remove the components from the firewall and dash. Also, have a gaping hole in the center ribbed section of the dash that needs to be closed:

Both the headlight switch and panel light switch are very corroded and rusty as were most of the parts on this rig. Likely will need new ones:

Zeph

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:39 am

Sorry for the very late response to your response on the following:
HI Dave,

Yes. No vacuum advance modules. Vacuum advance was used from the T207 series until engine number 42001 in the T211 series. Engine number 42002 and beyond in the T211 series and all of the T215 trucks have mechanical advance distributors. No vacuum advance. My T211 Command Car project had a pre-42001 block, so I used a vacuum advance distributor. I think one can install a vacuum advance in a T211 series with an engine number beyond 42001, and in a T215 truck. They just would not be factory correct if one is into that thing.
Well that's certainly news to me!!

I always assumed that mechanical only advance distributors were an old technology and as years and vehicles progressed, the engineers slowly introduced the vacuum distributor
(a vacuum distributor is actually still a mechanical distributor with vacuum module)

Anyway, I'm about to remove my IAD ,100% mechanical distributor with no vaccum module with a NOS, IGS distro with a vacuum module.

After all I'm not running the correct wartime block but rather a post war Plymouth engine.
And the post war engines did have vacuum modules.

Hoping for better, smoother performance.

To me it seems that the truck looses power on hills and the engine feels "choppy" . Not smooth at all.

I'm also thinking that the 100% mechanical weight distro, as designed, are to advance solely on engine rpm. So as one approaches a hill, hits the throttle harder, the distro sees no change in RPM, and can't sense the change in vacuum so doesn't adjust.

Anyway. I'm gonna try the vacuum model distro on my engine soon.

I guess this is neither here nor there for your truck as the correct distro is 100% mechanical!!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:46 am

wc56daveyboy wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:39 am
Sorry for the very late response to your response on the following: Well that's certainly news to me!!

I always assumed that mechanical only advance distributors were an old technology and as years and vehicles progressed, the engineers slowly introduced the vacuum distributor
(a vacuum distributor is actually still a mechanical distributor with vacuum module)

Anyway, I'm about to remove my IAD ,100% mechanical distributor with no vaccum module with a NOS, IGS distro with a vacuum module.

After all I'm not running the correct wartime block but rather a post war Plymouth engine.
And the post war engines did have vacuum modules.

Hoping for better, smoother performance.

To me it seems that the truck looses power on hills and the engine feels "choppy" . Not smooth at all.

I'm also thinking that the 100% mechanical weight distro, as designed, are to advance solely on engine rpm. So as one approaches a hill, hits the throttle harder, the distro sees no change in RPM, and can't sense the change in vacuum so doesn't adjust.

Anyway. I'm gonna try the vacuum model distro on my engine soon.

I guess this is neither here nor there for your truck as the correct distro is 100% mechanical!!
Hi Dave,

I am working on restoring a mechanical distributor, but not opposed to a vacuum distributor if it does provide more git up and go going up hills. My WC52 is a dog on any incline.

Really interested in the outcome of the experiment. You should be able to determine the difference.

Thanks,
Zeph

Ghostrider5211
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Ghostrider5211 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 am

Hey Zeph,

I LOVE your progress! Well done!! I'm bookmarking everything and following along. Your threads have given me a much better understanding of how things work, and therefore I enter into the next piece to be restored with much more confidence.

That hole in your dash... how do you intend to repair it? I also have a hole cut in my dash. If you're familiar with the open cabs, there's an open part of the dash between the gauge cluster and the glovebox. It's a ribbed section and is located right above where the choke, throttle, ignition and all that stuff is. Someone cut a hole in that ribbed area. I have a replacement panel ready to go in, but I am unsure how I will repair that hole.
1942 WC-21
1942 WC-24
1942 WC-55/52
1943 Ford GPW
1952 M37
1952 M38A1
1955 M152CDN

RIP Adam R. Lang 10/2/87 - 9/8/16

Ghostrider5211
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Ghostrider5211 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:32 am

Also, I would suggest trying electrolysis on that light switch. The one on the WC-55 was just as bad, and IIRC couldn't be moved. We put it in a home made electrolysis device using a bucket, piece of rebar, and some copper wire, and of course some soap. That switch is now operable and looks almost new.
1942 WC-21
1942 WC-24
1942 WC-55/52
1943 Ford GPW
1952 M37
1952 M38A1
1955 M152CDN

RIP Adam R. Lang 10/2/87 - 9/8/16

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:32 pm

Ghostrider5211 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 am
Hey Zeph,

I LOVE your progress! Well done!! I'm bookmarking everything and following along. Your threads have given me a much better understanding of how things work, and therefore I enter into the next piece to be restored with much more confidence.

That hole in your dash... how do you intend to repair it? I also have a hole cut in my dash. If you're familiar with the open cabs, there's an open part of the dash between the gauge cluster and the glovebox. It's a ribbed section and is located right above where the choke, throttle, ignition and all that stuff is. Someone cut a hole in that ribbed area. I have a replacement panel ready to go in, but I am unsure how I will repair that hole.
Ghostrider5211 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:32 am
Also, I would suggest trying electrolysis on that light switch. The one on the WC-55 was just as bad, and IIRC couldn't be moved. We put it in a home made electrolysis device using a bucket, piece of rebar, and some copper wire, and of course some soap. That switch is now operable and looks almost new.
Thank you for the kind compliments. I appreciate it. On the hole, I actually have the part that was cut out of the dash. Very fortunate to have that. If you have the same type hole in the ribbed area, I'm sure you can find a donor truck dash somewhere. That would be the easiest solution.

Welding is in order:

Took a close look the other day at the window boxes that I need to cut out, make new ones, and reinstall. Looks like fun...:

Also have some body holes to close:

As well as some other rust issues:

Wheel wells:

Still decided to roll the body into the repair bay. Now just need some motivation:

Pulled the windshield:

Although the glove box looked pretty good, still a bit rugged on the inside. Hinge welded crooked on the box and pretty rusty:

Removed the firewall pad. Lots of holes in the firewall:

Panorama of the shop on the body move day. Probably too small to see here:

Received a distributor rebuild kit and rebuilt the distributor yesterday. It took me a few hours to remove the pin holding the shaft collar. Ruined quite a few punches. It really put up a fight. I tried to be careful to keep from bending the shaft:

Noticed the one of the original bushings had a hole in it that aligned with the oiler. So had to drill the new one. Also found that there is a felt wick that goes in the oiler passage way to the bushing. Lined up the hole on the install:

New springs:

Easy peasy to set the points whilst the distributor is out of the engine:

Don't forget the gasket:

Stuffed it into the engine:

Installed the spark plug wires and mounted the horn properly:

Zeph

superdave
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by superdave » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 pm

Looking good, Glad you pick the easy ones to restore

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:25 am

What a blessing it is to watch your work progress. Definitely the gold standard.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:31 pm

17thAirborne wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:25 am
What a blessing it is to watch your work progress. Definitely the gold standard.
Thanks Oz. I think I'm off the gold standard and now on the rust standard. Hope all is going well with your move.
superdave wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 pm
Looking good, Glad you pick the easy ones to restore
Thanks Superdave. Are you heading down to Playmouth this year for the MVCC event in April?

PS: Very sorry to see your namesake go to that big stunt show in the sky. Lots of fond memories of his skits back in the day. He will be missed.
Zeph

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Distro rebuild kit?

Where did ya get that?

I have at least three very fine, nearly new distro of various types.

I even bought a so called NOS unit last year that the bushing was far from tight.

I need to get some bushings to make these perfectly tight again

superdave
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by superdave » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks Superdave. Are you heading down to Playmouth this year for the MVCC event in April?

PS: Very sorry to see your namesake go to that big stunt show in the sky. Lots of fond memories of his skits back in the day. He will be missed.

Yes I hope to get down for the event this year,It sounds like it might be like it use to be at this new location.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:54 pm

superdave wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 pm
Yes I hope to get down for the event this year,It sounds like it might be like it use to be at this new location.
Very good. I think it should be a pretty good event. At least the venue looks to be perfect for this type of show.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:10 pm

Yesterday, I attempted to fix the dash on the Carryall yesterday. The PO really couldn't have cut this panel out in a worse spot. All those ribs and cut the top right at the belt line where the dash rolls over. Really hard to weld and next to impossible to get a grinder in there without nicking another section of the ribbed area. Very tedious.

I wrapped up for the day and shot some primer on it to see how bad it will look. I may need to use a little Lab Metal or body filler once I get it in a little better shape:

Also welded on the inside. A bit tight in there. However, if I would have thought about it, I should have welded only on the inside. Then it would have been easier to clean up on the outside by filling in the voids with Lab Metal or body filler...:

Today, I adjusted the metal brake to bend up some window boxes. First cutting the sheet metal is always a challenge, but bought a saw which is pretty amazing. Metal doesn't get hot, and it doesn't create any sparks. Cuts like butter.

Bending up the boxes is a bit of a challenge, but gave it a shot. I think I may have went a little too thick gauge wise. I had measure the boxes and thought they were 18 gauge.

First I wanted to see if I could make up some window channels that go into the box. After adjustments, the third one came out pretty good. The others look okay too, but I was just trying to dial the machine in:

One can see the original channel in here. It's a bit rotted out like the boxes:

Cutting the box out:

Looks like a big rat was in behind the boxes. Actually, I think the PO thought it wasn't rusting quick enough and decided to aid the process by introducing some insulation behind all the boxes. Odd:

Backside and bottom of the window box. A bit rotted:

Here is my first attempt at a box. A little tricky to make the multiple bends:

Looks like it will fit. Will need some more work to complete, but I ran out of time today:

Overall, it was a good rainy day project.
Zeph

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:32 pm

I had a very similiar hole in my dash( aka radio cutout I believe!)

It actually made more sense to break the spot welds and other bead weld to remove the old dash and replace with another donor dash.

Mind u I didnt do that work!

I have a good freind who is a body man who did the replacement. It was his idea. He actually said it was easier to replace the entire dash then Try and weld in and graft in a piece like this

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”