Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:43 pm

Right on. Only took three months, but now am officially registered with 1941 plates for the Carryall:

My wife evicted me from the shop today for Christmas, so I pulled the Carryall out of the garage for only the second time. Also had to pull the Command Car out. Well need to be outside for a week or so. Hopefully, the weather won't be too hard on them:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

superdave
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by superdave » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:07 pm

Looking really good, the fleet is growing. Nice to see Green grass still as its about 4 months away for us here.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:23 pm

superdave wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:07 pm
Looking really good, the fleet is growing. Nice to see Green grass still as its about 4 months away for us here.
Thanks Superdave. Yes, the lawn has been holding out. Freezing most nights, but it's still keeping its color.

We're hoping for an April show at Plymouth. If so, hope you can make it down after your long winter slumber. 8)

Stay warm,
Zeph

superdave
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by superdave » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:28 pm

I would really love to come to the event if its a go but sadly I doubt that the Borders will be open with such high cases of the virus still upon us :(

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:00 am

superdave wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:28 pm
I would really love to come to the event if its a go but sadly I doubt that the Borders will be open with such high cases of the virus still upon us :(
Oh Yeah, I forgot about the border. You're probably correct. :(
Zeph

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:04 pm

All of your hard work paid off nicely. Beautiful trucks Zeph. I would like to suggest that you take one of your oil lines apart to check if the end fittings are barbed. I was on the freeway in my Command Car near Van Nuys Ca. on a Sat. afternoon drive at 55 M's.P.H. when the pressure side of my oil line to the filter blew off. One moment I had 44 lbs. of pressure, the next ZERO. Luckily when I pulled over the engine was still pumping oil out. I by-passed the filter and filled the engine with fresh oil, 4 quarts, and went straight home. It was a repro from India and not barbed.
I wound up replacing the rubber hoses with steel braided Aero-quip lines and A/N fittings. I didn't like the "silver color" of them much, BUT I like the idea of replacing my $3000.00 engine less. I'll try to my post here and provide a link, but it was some time ago.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:57 am

D.R.H. wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:04 pm
All of your hard work paid off nicely. Beautiful trucks Zeph. I would like to suggest that you take one of your oil lines apart to check if the end fittings are barbed. I was on the freeway in my Command Car near Van Nuys Ca. on a Sat. afternoon drive at 55 M's.P.H. when the pressure side of my oil line to the filter blew off. One moment I had 44 lbs. of pressure, the next ZERO. Luckily when I pulled over the engine was still pumping oil out. I by-passed the filter and filled the engine with fresh oil, 4 quarts, and went straight home. It was a repro from India and not barbed.
I wound up replacing the rubber hoses with steel braided Aero-quip lines and A/N fittings. I didn't like the "silver color" of them much, BUT I like the idea of replacing my $3000.00 engine less. I'll try to my post here and provide a link, but it was some time ago.
Thank you. A few of the hard oil lines are NOS Dodge, but I did have to get some brake lines for the other oil lines at NAPA. I compared the NOS and the Napa lines, and other than the NAPA lines having an extended threaded male fixture on one end, they look and feel identical in construction.

I hope the NAPA brake lines can take 44lbs PSI, or we really need to be careful out there. :lol:
Zeph

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Hi Zeph, I found my thread from early 2012. However I didn't post any photos of the new oil lines with A/N fittings back then. Sorry...
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:26 pm

D.R.H. wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:13 pm
Hi Zeph, I found my thread from early 2012. However I didn't post any photos of the new oil lines with A/N fittings back then. Sorry...
No problem. I'm familiar with those fittings as I raced cars for more years than I can remember. Built a lot of those lines. Not the easiest to do. Oil was extremely critical back then as it is now. :)
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:31 pm

Found enough original brake hose clips for the Carryall. Takes four to install the lower and upper springs. I couldn't find the lower springs, so need to get another set.

Zeph

Dozerman51
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Dozerman51 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:57 pm

Great work on the carryall Zeph. Looks like it just came off the assembly line. 👍👍👍👍. I’ll have to ask you for some tips on replacing the outer windshield rubber. Mines all cracked to hell after 10 years. Going to check my service brakes tomorrow. One wheel is grabbing like hell when I lightly apply the brakes 1st thing in the morning. It doesn’t pull to one side or another though. After about 2 or three stops like this, no more lock-ups the rest of the day. It rolls good and stops straight with no pulling. I think it could be a wheel cylinder not working correctly or maybe a brake hose that is deteriorating internally. The trials and tribulations of owning a military dodge I guess. 🤣🤣🤣. Have a nice weekend.
Joe

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:40 pm

Dozerman51 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:57 pm
Great work on the carryall Zeph. Looks like it just came off the assembly line. 👍👍👍👍. I’ll have to ask you for some tips on replacing the outer windshield rubber. Mines all cracked to hell after 10 years. Going to check my service brakes tomorrow. One wheel is grabbing like hell when I lightly apply the brakes 1st thing in the morning. It doesn’t pull to one side or another though. After about 2 or three stops like this, no more lock-ups the rest of the day. It rolls good and stops straight with no pulling. I think it could be a wheel cylinder not working correctly or maybe a brake hose that is deteriorating internally. The trials and tribulations of owning a military dodge I guess. 🤣🤣🤣. Have a nice weekend.
Joe
Hi Joe,

Thanks. If you pull the windshield and bring it with you the next time you come up, we can knock it out.

Seems like there is always a brake issue going on with these trucks. However, fairly easy to diagnose and correct. Other than the pulling of the drums aren't as simple as later model vehicles. I guess it forces one to re-pack the bearings, eh?

Have a great weekend as well!
Zeph

Dozerman51

Post by Dozerman51 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi Zeph,
Thanks for the offer.👍👍. I will most likely take you up on that offer. Could be this month or next. I will give you plenty of notice. That carryall of yours is a real beauty. 👍👍👍👍
Take care and stay healthy,
Joe

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:15 am

Dozerman51 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:05 pm
Hi Zeph,
Thanks for the offer.👍👍. I will most likely take you up on that offer. Could be this month or next. I will give you plenty of notice. That carryall of yours is a real beauty. 👍👍👍👍
Take care and stay healthy,
Joe
Sounds good Joe.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Managed to get the black out drive light resistor installed finally. Resistor holder from MWM. I'm on week 20 of waiting for my seat covers. Was told 6-8 weeks, but likely will be 12 months before I can think about getting them. The economic boom going on is nothing like I've ever seen in my life. Can't get anyone to do anything as they are overwhelmed with work.

Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”