Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:47 am

chibobber wrote: โ†‘
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:17 pm
Good thing you retired. Now you can dedicate yourself to your new profession as the "Head motorpool chief cook and bottle washer" :D
lol...yes, and I'm really enjoying it. Everyday now is like my Saturday and Sundays used to be. I get up with all the things I want to get down, and only get 10% completed. One thing I have noticed is that weeks go by like days now. Time is flying. I was hoping it would slow down a little...
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:19 pm

Hello Zeph,

Great update !!
I really like your stenciling on the Carryall, it
looks great, and hopefully people can see it and understand !!

It is OK on the engine mount issue .... it was the HEAT ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Your works have been that of a Master Craftsman, all the way .

I was lucky enough to get a 12V 3/4 ton generator last week from Frank, in Georgia, as well as the short running board for the driver's side of the half ton Command Car.

I know I and others are waiting in anticipation for your next project !!

You should be a Dodge Professor, with a Masters degree in Dodge WC Restoration tech, by now ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Keep us posted,

Hopefully cooler temperatures will arrive soon !

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:03 pm

70th Division wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:19 pm
Hello Zeph,

Great update !!
I really like your stenciling on the Carryall, it
looks great, and hopefully people can see it and understand !!

It is OK on the engine mount issue .... it was the HEAT ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Your works have been that of a Master Craftsman, all the way .

I was lucky enough to get a 12V 3/4 ton generator last week from Frank, in Georgia, as well as the short running board for the driver's side of the half ton Command Car.

I know I and others are waiting in anticipation for your next project !!

You should be a Dodge Professor, with a Masters degree in Dodge WC Restoration tech, by now ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Keep us posted,

Hopefully cooler temperatures will arrive soon !

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Still learning everyday. I corrected the rear motor mounts today. Let's just say that's not an easy job with everything installed. Just getting the cotter pins out of the motor mount bolts was a project in itself. Anyway, managed to get them done. Took me about three hours all together. Had to remove the floor mat and removed the wood floor to allow the engine and trans to be raised.

It is a lot smoother now sitting in the cab with the engine running. Still not happy with the carburetor. I have sent it back once for repair after I received it. It's a little better, but pulsates which drives me crazy. The builder evidently couldn't get that corrected. I'll see if it gets any better, but I doubt it.

The weather cooled down the past few days. Lower 90's. Almost need a jacket as I'm getting a little chilled out there!

That's great you scored the 12 volt genny from Frank. I've sourced quite a few parts from him over the years. I think I bought one of my 12 genny's from him. Would love to go by his place someday. I bet that would be a fun place to check out.

Thanks for the kind comments. I appreciate it.

Cheers,
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:31 am

Hello Zeph,

That is great that you got the mounts corrected.

I don't know if you have contacted Scoutpilot here on the G about your carb, but he says he can do the WC carbs.
I had him rebuild several jeep ones so far, and will send him my Dodge ones soon, just to have them rebuilt.

Frank is great, he brought 2 loads of parts to me halfway into Florida.
So nice to do that !
My brother picked up the Carryall body and parts from him.
He dropped the trailer off, and would return 2 days later to load it up. Well Frank had it all loaded up before he got back.
That is pretty nice service right there !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:11 pm

Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:31 am
Hello Zeph,

That is great that you got the mounts corrected.

I don't know if you have contacted Scoutpilot here on the G about your carb, but he says he can do the WC carbs.
I had him rebuild several jeep ones so far, and will send him my Dodge ones soon, just to have them rebuilt.

Frank is great, he brought 2 loads of parts to me halfway into Florida.
So nice to do that !
My brother picked up the Carryall body and parts from him.
He dropped the trailer off, and would return 2 days later to load it up. Well Frank had it all loaded up before he got back.
That is pretty nice service right there !!!

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

I have thought about sending my Jeep carb to Scoutpilot for a rebuild. I didn't realize he worked on the Dodge WC carbs. It's brand new, but pulsated really bad when first installed. Sent it back and it's a little better, but still has a pulsation, if that's a word. Driving slow in first gear creeping with my foot on the pedal, I can feel it lunging...then normal, then lunging over and over again. It's weird. I need to drive it around a little more and see if it goes away.

Frank sure sounds like a guy one would like to know for sure. That's awesome he did all that for you. Only if everyone could be like Frank!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:11 pm

Started the wiring harness install today. Not for the faint of heart. Lots of threading the thread through the needle so to speak. I wish I would have started this project before I put the front end back on, but at that time wasn't really thinking I'd be doing this. Almost pulled the fuel tank to run the wires. Plus there is no access hole in the bed for the fuel tank sending unit. I think I'm going to make one. I did manage to get the new harness with all the taillight connectors along the frame past the fuel tank and out the little hole in the rear frame cross member.

Then the real hard part was snaking the harness past the brake master cylinder along the frame. Wasn't very easy pulling the old harness out. Finally after many tries I got it through. Then DOH! I neglected to pass the harness through the middle cross frame hole along the frame. Almost cried. lol Had to pull it out and thread it through where I missed and then again around the master cylinder. Finally got it! That was tedious....

Really wished I had a lift that's for sure. I got her up pretty high on the jack stands which helped a lot. I can sit under there in certain areas:

One can see that the wiring isn't in the best of shape. Almost 80 years old, so I guess it held up pretty good. The wiring under the dash is even worse....and scary:

Spent some time cleaning the junction block. Pulled all the studs and blasted them. Then coated them in dielectric grease:

Hopefully, I can mop up the headlight wire routing tomorrow, and then move on to wiring the junction block and then the under dash harness.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:27 am

Will be towing the Carryall down to the MVCC Plymouth show next week. Always stressed about windshield rock hits, especially looking at the four stars in my less than one year old tow vehicle's windshield, so made up a little windshield cover.

Sandwiched some leftover seat batting between two remnants of canvas. Fairly simple, but hoping for it to be effective. Plus, it holds the windshield wipers in place. Usually they end up on the roof upon arrival:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:10 am

Hello Zeph,

That is a brilliant invention !!!
Very nice work, and it will work perfect.

Keep us updated on the show .
Have a safe trip there !

Best Regards,
Ray

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:45 am

Screams for a little stencil art work. Maybe a "Kill Roy" :D Because you know it's a blank canvas. :lol:

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:03 pm

Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:10 am
Hello Zeph,

That is a brilliant invention !!!
Very nice work, and it will work perfect.

Keep us updated on the show .
Have a safe trip there !

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. I am interested to see how the show's attendance will be with all the fires/COVID. In any event, it'll be a nice place to relax. Kick back a bit more at the September shows vs. the April shows. April always seems to get more people out after the long winter.
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:45 am
Screams for a little stencil art work. Maybe a "Kill Roy" :D Because you know it's a blank canvas. :lol:
That's funny. I was thinking the same thing. I actually stenciled a 2" "WC26" on it today. However, I hadn't thought about adding a Kilroy, but I'll be on that tomorrow! lol
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Okay, so completed a little artwork. Not that I'm much of an artist. I also ran some binding all around the outer edge. Was just going to leave it raw, but then thought I may keep this for a bit of time:

Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:15 pm

Bravo! :D

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:09 am

Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:15 pm
Bravo! :D
I hope to get on that jump seat bottom today, however thinking about switching out that new carb on the Carryall for the one on my Command Car for the Plymouth show.

Something's still wrong with the carb. I have sent it back once for repair, but it continues to perform terribly. I lost the fuel pump on the Command Car a couple of weeks ago and switched it out to rebuilt vintage fuel pump. Will, it only lasted a few days. Had it idling in the driveway and the engine died after about 20 minutes. The hand pump works, so I can move it a few feet before the bowl runs out of fuel. Gets annoying having to jump out, open the hood, and pump fuel into the bowl. I just can't get any of the new or rebuilt fuel pumps to last. Frustrating. I want to drive my trucks, but it's a pain to have the fuel pump go out and try to figure out how to get home. My wife refuses to go in my trucks any longer. Thank you fuel pumps!

Now thinking of figuring out how to install an electronic fuel pump in all the trucks. I like the originality of the mechanical pumps, but I think I'm reaching my limit of patience with them. I even lost the fuel pump in my GPW right before a parade. Probably the crappy overpriced fuel here in CalifornIA. I'm seeing diesel approaching $5 now locally.
Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:23 am

The electric fuel pump maybe the way to go. Make sure you wire it to the ignition side so it only comes on when you turn on the key. Do not put it on a separate switch, ask me how I know. Brothers 69 Boss 302 Mustang, go to store, forget fuel pump is on ,jump out, come back, fire her up literally. Pump
filled the manifold valley and ignited on start up. Got the fire out and spent the week end cleaning up and rewiring the engine. I think most people use Edelbrock pumps. Watch your pressure as you do not need much, not like fuel injection.
Good luck.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:40 pm

Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:23 am
The electric fuel pump maybe the way to go. Make sure you wire it to the ignition side so it only comes on when you turn on the key. Do not put it on a separate switch, ask me how I know. Brothers 69 Boss 302 Mustang, go to store, forget fuel pump is on ,jump out, come back, fire her up literally. Pump
filled the manifold valley and ignited on start up. Got the fire out and spent the week end cleaning up and rewiring the engine. I think most people use Edelbrock pumps. Watch your pressure as you do not need much, not like fuel injection.
Good luck.
Yikes! That's a bit scary. I've had a few engine fires in the past. They are never enjoyable. Had one in my 1969 Camaro in 1980. Muffed up the pain on the hood. Wasn't very happy about that.

Anyway, I was sidetracked today. Had people that wanted tours yesterday of my shop and museum in the house, so that burned a lot of time. Then had another today. Always seems someone or a group wants to come by. I wanted to get the jump seat pan figured out today, but then I was loading up for Wednesday's trip and next thing you know I'm sewing up some sort of storage contraption for the back of the Carryall. I had stuck some stuff behind the rear seat and more stuff in a cardboard box. Will it just didn't look right and would mar everything back there. I thought a canvas holder of some sort was in order. I came up with something like this:

I'll paint the wood OD after I get back. I think it'll be a fairly good hold all for a lot of items.

Then I figure I'd better get on the jump seat bottom cover. Made a template out of cardboard:

I used the template to cut out some metal. Tomorrow, I'll drill holes for some hold down screws, blast it, paint it, and then get it installed:

Zeph

Return to โ€œPower Wagon Forumsโ€