zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:58 am

Dozerman51 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:12 am
Hi Zeph,
Great work on the widows. Yes, this new age rubber leaves much to be desired. That frame has seen much better days. Just install one of the NOS ones you picked up some time ago and be done with it. You can always take it apart save the glass etc and mess around later trying to weld up and repair it. Can it be done, of course. Just will take time. It is a hobby so it’s not like the business motto of “Time is money”. :D :D :D. My Cousin is having some roofs replaced at his Ranch in early Oct. I’ll get in touch with you and see if I we can come by and look at your progress. Have a nice weekend.
Joe
Thanks Joe. Yeah, I have one NOS window frame, but really wanted to save it for a decent restoration project. I think I may try to make the VC1 a better overall restoration then the WC26. I don't think it's worthy of a NOS windshield. :lol:

I have like five open cab windshield frames and only need one. Wish they could be converted somehow. I can probably make this one decent. We'll see.

Yes, shoot me a PM and let me know when your're coming up. Likely won't be going anywhere for some time after October 1st.

Take care,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:28 am

Well, I couldn't resist in placing the rear registration number. I been moving this stencil around the garage for a long time. was worried I would ruin it or lose it:

Wasn't sure which went in first the door latches or the window hardware. Finally figured latches first:

Took some time to adjust the door strikers to get the doors to latch properly and fit the opening well. Actually they didn't turn out too bad:

The little clips that are used to hold the weather stripping for the rear doors are really little. Tough to hold and the punch into the holes in the doors, so made a little tool. A long #6 screw with nut:

Also installed the little rubber window bumpers in the front doors. Now those were a little tricky to get in there:

I hope to see if I can figure out the front door window install today.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Continuing on my missing to get as much completed on the Carryall. After I installed the door latch remotes, the driver's side was a bit sloppy. Would lock with the handle. There is no key, so one has to push the handle forward and it locks. Will this would not. The passenger side has the key lock on the old cars.

Anyway, wanted to see if I could fix it before I installed the windows in the doors. So out it came and it was interesting. The notches for the spring detent looks good from the outside, but it is just a razor thin facade. Behind it is completely worn down. Decided to pull everything apart and zipped a couple of small welds on the lever with the notches.

Used a hand file to re-establish the notches and put it all back together. Works fantastic now. Locks and stays as intended.

Then onto the door glass. Had to install the channel and then figure out hwo to get the glass into the channel and mount the side channel. If I cold do that then I could install the regulator.

Roller stops to keep the wheels from popping out.

The window channel I had to make and weld inside the door worked well.

Window cranks and door handles ready to go, but I don't have the little pins that hold them on. I swear I ordered some, but can't find 'em!

Starting to look like a real truck. Stuck the stars on the doors as well:

Zeph

Dozerman51
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Dozerman51 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:55 am

Quick trip to a hardware store for some roll
pins will cure that problem. :D :D

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:08 pm

Dozerman51 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:55 am
Quick trip to a hardware store for some roll
pins will cure that problem. :D :D
I was eyeballing some rivets I have earlier. I made some for the WC54. I just know I ordered some... :x
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Figured I would pull apart the windshield and clean it up for the time being. Lots of work pulling this thing apart with the silicone. Didn't want to bend/damage the frame or break the glass:

Couldn't get the sealant off the windows until I used some lacquer thinner. That and a lot of elbow grease did the trick:

Blasted the sealant residue and all the paint off, and then primered:

A little OD:

Then, which seems to be happening more and more with the paint I have used for the past ten years, this cracking effect happens. Same primer manufacturer as the OD paint that I've used a hundred times. Also notice that the rattle cans of the same paint that I get in the gallons is not matching very well now. Never had a problem in the past. Weird. I have been having to shoot parts over again often now.

Does leave that vintage look though:

Only one more weekend of work left until I put this thing away for months...
Zeph

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:37 pm

OKAY, ZEPH!! You are now at the point of your restoration that is in my area of expertise, GLASS. I don't want to go too far off the reservation and start calling whomever set the glass in your windshield bad names, but that work had been done incorrectly. As you have found out, removing glass that has been set in silicon is a frustrating effort. The most dangerous aspect is receiving a severe laceration from your razor-knife and filleting a tendon in one of your fingers.
If you would like, you can start here at 'lucky page 13' and follow how I set the glass in my Chevy windshield frame. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=271244&start=180. Any local glass shop in your area can order the Tuff-Pak, Wax and a Bone for you to help your efforts. The glass will be 1/4" in thickness, measure the glass pocket and you will be able to determine the correct thickness of the Tuff-Pak tape that you will need. https://www.pksupplies.com/crl-tuff-pak ... ml?id=5105.
If you need any tips or help, we can talk about it. I doubt that you will need help though. Good luck and your Carry-All is looking very, very nice. Dave.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:52 am

D.R.H. wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:37 pm
OKAY, ZEPH!! You are now at the point of your restoration that is in my area of expertise, GLASS. I don't want to go too far off the reservation and start calling whomever set the glass in your windshield bad names, but that work had been done incorrectly. As you have found out, removing glass that has been set in silicon is a frustrating effort. The most dangerous aspect is receiving a severe laceration from your razor-knife and filleting a tendon in one of your fingers.
If you would like, you can start here at 'lucky page 13' and follow how I set the glass in my Chevy windshield frame. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=271244&start=180. Any local glass shop in your area can order the Tuff-Pak, Wax and a Bone for you to help your efforts. The glass will be 1/4" in thickness, measure the glass pocket and you will be able to determine the correct thickness of the Tuff-Pak tape that you will need. https://www.pksupplies.com/crl-tuff-pak ... ml?id=5105.
If you need any tips or help, we can talk about it. I doubt that you will need help though. Good luck and your Carry-All is looking very, very nice. Dave.
That's good stuff. Just missed me though. I took all the parts to the glass shop on Monday to assemble for me while I'm at work. I will be out of action for about six months within a week, so this coming Saturday is my last hurrah to work on the WC26. I'm hoping I can install the rubber around the frame and then the windshield on the WC26 this Saturday.

If it doesn't happen it'll be a looonnnggg time until it does happen. Ideally, I hope to get a front seat mocked up this weekend too. That way I can actually move the Carry-All around a little until I can recover...I hope. May be a bridge too far, but I'll see what I can do. Love the tutorial on the glass install on your thread. Had not seen that. It's a keeper. In the future I will be using your process!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:21 am

Worked over the windshield. The hardest part is installing the outer rubber weather stripping. Has a little "T" section that tucks up inside. No idea how Rosie installed these back in the day, but like most Dodge part installations there always seems to be trick or technique that has to be discovered. Looked at the above thread, but neglected to get any wax to help, and since it's a minimum of an hour to go get anything, I just toughed it out.

After trying to stuff it in the channel a myriad of ways for over an hour, I finally discovered a way to do it. After the discovery, took 10 minutes to get the whole thing installed.

After that, had to hulk this thing up into place, hold it, and try to get it in the proper location by myself...no wonder I need surgery. lol

Anyway, tight fit inside the wiper mounting locations. Using the side sliders and lower latch managed to massage it into place and tighten the bolts:

The command center:

Next I wanted to finish installing the window regulator handles. Of course, nothing fits. Odd that I have NOS spring loaded escutcheons and handles as well as a couple window regulators. Will a 5 minute job too over an hour to get a couple handles on. Had to cut the regulator crank pins the handles slide onto and re-drill the holes for the pins that the escutcheons cover. Will I was able to get them on, but highly unlikely I can get them back off when needed. We'll see. Even had to grind the inner part of the escutcheons to slide over the regulator:

Way too long:

Butchered final version. Muff the first on up a bit. Tough to drill after installed. Kinda wished I had discovered this before I installed everything:

Next, I really want to at least get the driver's seat mocked up to some degree, so if I need to move the truck I can have me or someone else do it. I cut the first piece of plywood and tried to figure out how to mount in on the seat back:

I muffed the driver's side door star. The stencil material ripped and got stuck in the fresh white paint as I was removing it. Looked like...well, bad. Had to tape off around the star and re-sand it and paint. Then I muffed that and had white overspray all around the star. Just trying to hurry as I'm running out of time. Need to slow down. Anyway, taped off the star and re-shot the OD:

Well, all done with the exception of the seats. Was hoping to drive this soon, but that will have to wait:

Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:47 am

That os one fine looking addition to the stable! Sorry you have to be down after going under the knife for so long. But don't rush the come back. I did that twice in life and I pay a price for it every day.

On the escutcheons. Im going from memories of 1974, but I remember those as being rubber on my '41 ambulance? Of course it had a had life as a Nursery truck before I rescued it so who knows...

Any rate that carryall looks grand!

Have you been following that VC-1 command car on eBay. It is crying out to you... :twisted:
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:07 am

mdainsd wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:47 am
That os one fine looking addition to the stable! Sorry you have to be down after going under the knife for so long. But don't rush the come back. I did that twice in life and I pay a price for it every day.

On the escutcheons. Im going from memories of 1974, but I remember those as being rubber on my '41 ambulance? Of course it had a had life as a Nursery truck before I rescued it so who knows...

Any rate that carryall looks grand!

Have you been following that VC-1 command car on eBay. It is crying out to you... :twisted:
Thanks! Yes, these are metal escutcheons. I have seen the robber ones listed. I had some for my WC54 which were metal and were a lot different. These ones have a lip so when the pin to hold the handle on encases/covers the pin and goes past the pin as the lip is like a rounded 1/16". Not sure how to get the pins out later as the spring loaded section can't be pushed in as the pin is behind the lip.

The WC54 ones had about a 1/4" internal flat area that covered the pin so one could push it back in and remove the pin. The pin didn't get behind the lip. The ones I have are not designed this way, but were listed as NOS Dodge WC half-ton. If they are...very poor design, or my handles are wrong. I know the regulators are different. I think one side is 3/4 ton and the other side is half-ton. Anyhoo, nice to have them as to not have them.

Yes, staying down will be tough, but my wife is already on me and I haven't had the surgery yet. :lol:
Zeph

Dozerman51

Post by Dozerman51 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:24 am

Great work on everything. Top notch job. Hope that fire is getting contained near you. Kind of scary. No question about it. Stay safe and follow the Dr’s directions.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:00 am

Dozerman51 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:24 am
Great work on everything. Top notch job. Hope that fire is getting contained near you. Kind of scary. No question about it. Stay safe and follow the Dr’s directions.
Thanks Joe. Yes, we're keeping an eye on it. This was the view yesterday afternoon. Nice glow and could see the flames after dark. May be moving our direction now, but I'm at work. We'll get word if there may be the need to bug out:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Figured it was my last day to rock and roll on the Carryall. Really wanted to get at least the driver's seat mocked up. Set about building a removable lower seat pad. Figured I would have it clip in on the lower bar and snap in on the front bar:

Used some pipe clamps. After cutting the clamps to fit, and routering the bottom board to allow it to recess over the mounting tabs, it snaps in nice and tight. That will allow access to the storage under the seat.

Going with 6" HD foam on the bottom and 4" on the seat backs. I need to cut a taper on the lower pad so that it'll tuck in under the seat back. Working on how to engineer that:

Figured before I go any further, I better mount the seat in the cab and see how it feels. Want to be able to see out and not bump my head on the ceiling. I dwarf the average WWII soldier at 6'2' and 178lbs.

First thing I noticed is that the driver's door just closes. Not a lot of room for error. May need to shrink the seat pad and wood a bit:

Uh oh, Houston, we have a problem. Seat felt great. Height was perfect and view out the windshield perfect. Hmmm...when in first or second gear I can't move my leg and get to the brake pedal. My leg gets wedged between the steering wheel and shifter cane. Have the same problem in the Command Car, but make it work:

First gear. Shift know at my knee pinning in my leg so I can't lift it.

Second gear pulled down. One can see the black shift knob:

Another shot of second gear pinning in my leg:

Well, now that I had a seat, I couldn't let not using the brake slow me down. Ta da! First light of day:

Also shot a couple of videos for posterity. As I recover I can watch these over the next few months and convince myself I accomplished something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0wec6bShzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kTzeCk_lYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IWY6V71HHU

The only oddities was that the amp gauge was pegged to the charge side, and there was a sound like a blinker on which was odd. Thought it was the circuit breaker cutting off and on.

Well, I put the trickle charger on the battery. Not sure when it was last charged. However, it starts instantly.

Came home this evening after thinking about it all day. Battery was now fully charged. Started it up...amp gauge doesn't peg now. That's good. However, the blinker sound was still there. Kept tracing the sound under the dash, and then outside the vehicle with the engine running. Couldn't figure it out until I looked up and saw the vacuum wiper motor going back and forth...click, click, click. No wiper arm or blade on it yet. I didn't even know if they worked. Well, the driver's side does. :lol_hitti

Anyhoo, wrapping this thing up.
Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:47 pm

Zeph,
Just wanted to wish you the best on your upcoming surgery.Keep us up to date.
Bend the shifter arm.Make it work for you.The next guy can worry about correctness.
Maybe in awhile you can sort hardware,sit down with a muffin tin or two and get organized. :wink:
Bob

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”