zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:06 pm

chibobber wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:47 pm
Zeph,
Just wanted to wish you the best on your upcoming surgery.Keep us up to date.
Bend the shifter arm.Make it work for you.The next guy can worry about correctness.
Maybe in awhile you can sort hardware,sit down with a muffin tin or two and get organized. :wink:
Bob
Thanks Bob. Appreciate it. Yes, I'm sure I'll be sneaking out and tidying up a bit here and there left handed. 8)

Now we're just watchin the fire out in the back behind our house. Might be the first time my solar array produces overnight. Really getting smoky here too. Just about to switch from swamp cooler to A/C for the night. Gonna be over a 100 degrees for the rest of the week, but the wind has died down which is a very good thing. Just shot this a few minutes ago. Fire is over 31,000 acres now. Was at 15,000 this morning:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:51 am

What a nightmare! Thinking to you.
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:03 am

YLG80 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:51 am
What a nightmare! Thinking to you.
Yves
Thank you Yves,

All is well still here. Tough sleeping overnight with the smell of smoke seeping into the house.

Really doesn't look like the fire has advanced our direction. Winds are non-existent this morning, so that will really help with containment.
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:24 pm

That is another super job, Bet you feel great! Shifter problem? Move the seat back. Get your legs straightened out a little. Those trucks were built when the average male height was 5'7" :)
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:01 pm

mdainsd wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:24 pm
That is another super job, Bet you feel great! Shifter problem? Move the seat back. Get your legs straightened out a little. Those trucks were built when the average male height was 5'7" :)
Yeah, those guys were fairly small. I'll have to figure out how to mock up the seat a little further back to see if that helps. It's fairly comfortable now. May be better back a bit. As long as I can get my leg back to get to the brake pedal it would be good. If not, may have to bend the shifter cane just a tad.

Thanks. Yes, it does feel pretty good to get in and actually drive it a little. I'm a little worried though as nothing is leaking onto the concrete the last few days. As they say, it a WWII truck isn't leaking, add oil. Geez, I have a check list, and I'm pretty sure I added oil to everything! :shock:
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:33 am

So about three weeks out from shoulder surgery. Other than a nice four inch gash, and a couple of one inchers, on my shoulder, I couldn't be any happier with the results to this point. Was able to get back in the shop in seven days. Was able to drill, grind and weld. A little tender, but never had the pain I was expecting. First couple of days was on some heavy pain meds. Now can't really tell I had surgery unless reaching for the ceiling, which I can do, but a little tight. Amazing what they can do nowadays. Still trying to maintain, but tough. Thankfully, work has been really busy, so I haven't really been home a lot.

A couple weeks ago I welded up a rear license plate bracket for the WC26. There really isn't a natural location on the Carryall for a plate, so located an existing hole on the frame and used a single bolt to hold it. Seconds to remove if I should feel the need. When I only welded the bolt to the frame I had made and mounted it, there was a bit of vibration when I would hit it. So I added a brace to it. Now it's rock solid and doesn't vibrate:

One can almost see it from the rear:

Blasted and painted:

Today, I'm going to dink around with the front seat frame with the goal of moving it back four inches without modifying the seat frame or base. Lots of thoughts, but I don't want to raise the seat at all. Easy way would be to just make a bracket for each side, but that would raise the seat due to the downward tabs on the seat frame. Now thinking four individual brackets, but will need to noodle on that a bit longer. I have some other ideas as well, but none are good:

Be nice to still use the under seat storage once I figure out what to do. I also switched the lag bolts that I initially used for the lower wood base clips I had made, and I replaced them with T-Nuts and through bolted. Much more solid and won't come apart later. Not sure how the so called tool box that goes behind the driver's seat will fit if the seat frame is moved back four inches:

Installed the wipers arms a couple weeks ago. Those were a little tricky to install one handed at the time and get the nut on there with the spring loaded arms. Took a long time, but pulled it off. Eastwood had the tire step on sale for like $20 and free shipping, so I finally picked one of those up. One can see it on the passenger side front tire. Nice to reach the windshield. I'm thinking within a month I'll leave it on and try to drive out of the garage and see how that goes. lol:

Also, had a little photo shoot last weekend. Nice to be able to shift the transmissions again with my right arm!

Zeph

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:12 am

Zeph,
Glad your back to live action. At least your down time was short and saved your psyche. :? The seat will present challenges, looking forward to the solution. Motor Pool looks great!
Bob

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm

chibobber wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:12 am
Zeph,
Glad your back to live action. At least your down time was short and saved your psyche. :? The seat will present challenges, looking forward to the solution. Motor Pool looks great!
Bob
Thanks Bob! Yes, totally stoked that I can dink around in the garage already. Although, after today, a bit sore. Yeah, the seat is a little problematic. First I wanted to make sure that I kept the same 71 degree angle:

The rear tabs end up being really close to the floor. I can make some simple feet to support those, but the problem is holding it down if I want to late brake someone at a stop light and not have the seat eject me forward. In addition to making sure the front is secured, the rear of the seat frame needs to be secured somehow as well:

I like that at least the frame barely contacts the rear corners of the seat pan. That should provide a little extra support along with the two front mounting points:

Finally, after looking for a solution for an hour or so, I ended up thinking that angle iron would be something to use for the strength. I figured that I could weld tabs at an angle front and rear, and then drill mounting holes to attach it to the seat pane. That way I could add another tab four inches back from the front seat mounting location and then mount the seat frame front tabs there:

Here are the two bracket before mounting them and locating the tabs for the front seat mounts::

Brackets mounted with the front seat tabs now welded on. I needed to determine where to drill the holes for the front seat frame tabs:

Since I was moving a bit slow today, I ran outta time. Seems like I mounted and dismounted the brackets ten times. I did get the brackets drilled, primed, and painted, however. I'm thinking I will use two of the pipe clamps that I used for the wood seat bottom to hold the rear part of the seat frame down.
Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:55 am

Zeph,
Looks like it will work fine. How will you fill the gap at the front of the box structure ?Maybe a hinged panel for easy access.This way you do not have the undo the rear seat mount to access the area.Put a couple of stiffening ribs in to avoid tin canning and your set. :wink:
Bob

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:28 pm

chibobber wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:55 am
Zeph,
Looks like it will work fine. How will you fill the gap at the front of the box structure ?Maybe a hinged panel for easy access.This way you do not have the undo the rear seat mount to access the area.Put a couple of stiffening ribs in to avoid tin canning and your set. :wink:
Bob
Good eye Bob, I was thinking the same thing about maybe putting a hinged cover on that front section. Not a great deal of room, but thought if I sectioned that off from the rest of the compartment, it would be a nice little hidey hole.

Sort of a better view of the brackets, and fitting the rear seat frame clamps:

You can see that front area is a little tight. I'll have to see if a hinged panel would work there. For sure a cover of sorts. in any event, the location is perfect...maybe a little tight in second for my leg, but certainly much better. I looked it up. Average WWII GI 5'8" tall and 145 to 150lbs. I'm six inches taller and about 30lbs heavier:

Nice to get it modified and not have to cut or weld any of the original parts:

Now trying to figure out how the tool box will fit behind the front seat now. It'll be four inches further back of course. It might be a little tight for the middle seat passengers, but not sure as of yet. May be fine. We'll see:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:30 pm

Since I'm winged and can't do anything with the seats on the Carryall at this point, I goofed off with trying to figure out how to clean up a couple fire extinguishers. Was going to OD them after bead blasting, but then after I had bead blasted I ran them against my wire wheel on the bench grinder. Buffed out pretty decent:

I then figured I would get some of the oil canisters ready and installed on the new engines I have rat-holed in the garage. More bead blasting, paint, decals and then installed one. A couple more to go maybe next weekend:

Really feeling the urge to get going on the Dodge VC1. I'll probably document that project on my Facebook page and abandon the G for that one. May knock out a Ben Hur trailer before that, however. Just need two good arms to really get cracking....
Zeph

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:43 am

I am glad to have read that your surgery went well Zeph. I KNOW YOUR PAIN. I had my right shoulder fixed back in 2007 and it made all the difference in the world. I just read over this page and things are looking really nice at you place! The carry-all looks great!! Keep up the great work...
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

henry13
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by henry13 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Hello I live in Europe in Belgium I'm looking for all information about the black rubber seal of the roof, could you give me this information: brand, seller, ....

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Hello Zeph,

I am so glad that things went well for your procedure !!!!
Your work has been so incredible and we all enjoy your posts so very much !!!

These oil canisters are looking great, and I know you have those sweet engines ready to go
when needed :D :D :D

I hope that you will also post your super rare early VC- 1 restoration here on the G as well,
if that will be possible !!

Your work is so important for others to see and follow, it would be unsettling to not see
that here on the G.

Keep up your great works !!!

Everyone appreciates all that you do saving our history !!!
We know it is also a huge effort documenting your work, but it is highly appreciated !!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Zeph,
I know it can be a pain to document and post your projects. I along with many others would really miss watching your work. The one thing that I like is being able to make suggestions. You always accept them with grace. As always I take what I can get and appreciate it.
Continued good healing and health.
Bob

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”