G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by superdave » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:58 am
superdave wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:29 pm
I thought it looked pretty good. You better be careful as this might turn into a business and give the others some competition :D .
Hi Dave,

Thanks. Don't know if I would ever be to the point of letting others examine my work and complain about it. I get enough of that at work now. :lol:

They still have your doors welded shut up there? Looks like Plymouth is a go. We have our spots all paid for and looking forward to the April event. More and more of the COVID restrictions are coming down for some reason in CA, so things are opening up here. I went out and about yesterday and really can't tell COVID existed around here.

Hope all is well, and hope to see you soon.
Yes all is well as can be expected in the crazy world. Still stuck on this side of the invisible wall and best guess I might be able to go to next years event if lucky.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:15 am

superdave wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 pm
Yes all is well as can be expected in the crazy world. Still stuck on this side of the invisible wall and best guess I might be able to go to next years event if lucky.
Well, that's a bummer. Can't believe it's already been two years since the last event. Looks like it'll be three for you.

Okay, we'll try to raise a glass of beer to you in any event...if we can. Maybe we can facetime you at the campfire one night. 8)

Take it easy,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

superdave
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by superdave » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:57 pm

Sounds good, take pics of all the deals I will miss :cry:

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:04 pm

Let's see. I'm been biding my time since August of last year when I ordered seat canvas for the Carryall. Approaching 9 months now. Still nothing. be nice to go for a ride it it someday. Working on my sewing skills to eventually make my own if I can get some canvas.

However, with idle time on my hands, I decided to change my original registration number placement on the tailgate which has been bothering me since I painted it. I finally took the time to erase it and paint/stencil it in a new location. I have asked where the proper location was originally. Answers ranged from the lower section to Dodge never painted blue drab on half-ton Dodge WC's. Only white registration numbers. Tough to find a factory photo of the rear of a Carryall generally. Most early photos I can find seem to be shot from the front of the vehicle.

Anyway, erased and moved registration number to the bottom of the tailgate right or wrong:

All done, and I feel much better about it:

Zeph

Tapper02
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Tapper02 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:42 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:04 pm
Hey, that's all that matters. Looks good...hope to see you next week in Plymouth. Bringing any of the toys?

-Tom
1944 Autocar M3A1 Halftrack
1944 Schelm Bros. M10 Ammunition Trailer

MVPA # 30507

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:16 pm

Tapper02 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:42 pm
zepher11 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:04 pm
Hey, that's all that matters. Looks good...hope to see you next week in Plymouth. Bringing any of the toys?

-Tom
Hi Tom,

I'll have the WC16 Command Car and I think I will get the MBT trailer on there as well. Looking forward to getting down there. Yes, come on down. I'm in either cabin 145 or 147. The map may have us mixed up, but we'll be at these two cabins. Hope to see you there!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:03 pm

Picked up a couple of yard-longs at the Plymouth show, so hung those up in the shop. Also received from Bob "chibobber" a replica mail pouch that were to be used by the press after the D-Day invasion. It's pretty cool, so hung that up over one of the yard -ongs I picked up. The yard-long to the lower right in the photo has a bunch of early Dodge VC and WC's. It's an awesome photo. One of my new favorites. Don't get a lot of vehicles in yard-longs tupically:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun May 16, 2021 5:45 pm

Hello Zeph,

What a great find, and great picture with all those early vehicles !
Another piece of history saved, that will be enjoyed again !!

I found a same sized picture in NH at an antique store of NH troops, before they were sent to France in WW1. It was taken in 1916, and I bought it 100 years to the month it was taken !
A long forgotten pic , now hanging in my jeep barn for the next era 😁
I love it, and all those old pictures.

Keep up your great works there, and your treasure hunting too !!

Thanks for posting!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon May 17, 2021 9:40 am

70th Division wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:45 pm
Hello Zeph,

What a great find, and great picture with all those early vehicles !
Another piece of history saved, that will be enjoyed again !!

I found a same sized picture in NH at an antique store of NH troops, before they were sent to France in WW1. It was taken in 1916, and I bought it 100 years to the month it was taken !
A long forgotten pic , now hanging in my jeep barn for the next era 😁
I love it, and all those old pictures.

Keep up your great works there, and your treasure hunting too !!

Thanks for posting!

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Yes, very happy with this yard-long...really like all the Dodge trucks. I have a number of yard-longs now with vehicles in them. One has a Slat Grill Jeep. Another one has a few CCKW's and Ben Hur trailers lurking about. I can look at these photos over and over and still see things I've missed previously. Happy to be able to have them up to view.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:08 pm

After spending the last few months learning to sew, I finally made the leap to see if I could make some seat covers for the Carryall. I'm basing these off of some Carryall canvas seats from photos I picked off the internet. Tough to see the insides in photos to see exactly how the real sewers do it, but I think I'm getting close. Learned a lot on these two covers. Seat bottom and seat back for the driver's seat.

The canvas holder rack I made came in handy to roll the canvas off for cutting:

Made the base canvas that attaches to the top section first:

After sewing the base canvas to the top canvas:

I think they call it top stitching, but it appears in a lot of photos that the canvas for seat covers is sewn from the top again after the two sections are sewn together. Not sure exactly why, but I've been practicing that. I think it looks pretty cool in any event:

Then foam and the white stuff. Not sure what they call it, batting? Used that to fill in the mistakes I made cutting the foam. I tapered the lower cushion, which is six inches thick, so that it tapers toward the back. Six inches at the front, and only four inches at the rear of the foam. Really tough to cut, but I have a bread knife that seems to work ok, but leaves lots of divots. The white stuff seems to hide the small divots:

I had read where it's a good idea to put some type of waterproof cover under the canvas to prevent something wet from seeping into the foam. Hmmm...Not sure it's worth it. May not do it on the other bases:

A little bit of pucker factor, but not too bad for a start. Only six more cushions to go...:

Here are a couple of the photos I was using to figure out how the canvas is sewn. Pretty close:

Here's the top stitch photo I had to work from to figure out how it's done:

Nice to have a seat!!

Still have my canvas seat cover order in that I made last August. Likely will cancel it if they ever call to get going...when I contact them they say don't contact us, we'll contact you when we're ready.... At least they motivated me to learn something new. :)
Zeph

superdave
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by superdave » Mon May 24, 2021 11:09 pm

For what its worth I think you did a fantastic job on the covers.

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Tue May 25, 2021 5:09 am

Looks great! Have you tried a steamer to remove the puckers? A lot of those Saturday car TV shows put those steamers to work on everything including carpets to de-wrinkle.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:16 am

superdave wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:09 pm
For what its worth I think you did a fantastic job on the covers.
Thanks superdave!

mdainsd wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:09 am
Looks great! Have you tried a steamer to remove the puckers? A lot of those Saturday car TV shows put those steamers to work on everything including carpets to de-wrinkle.
Not sure if that would work. One individual mentioned to me that to prevent the pucker I should make the foam larger and/or the seam allowance smaller. I had made a practice cover, but for some reason made the seam allowance about an inch larger. I'll make is smaller on the next cover and see how they fit. It would have the surrounding seam on top up higher on the foam. We'll see how that goes. Also bunches up when stapling at the bottom. Must be a trick for that as well.
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Tue May 25, 2021 4:45 pm

I didn't want to spring for one and find it wouldn't work. When I got the leather seats for the CC they had minor puckering. I broke out the cheapie wall paper steamer and gave it a try. Worked great for me.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:52 pm

mdainsd wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:45 pm
I didn't want to spring for one and find it wouldn't work. When I got the leather seats for the CC they had minor puckering. I broke out the cheapie wall paper steamer and gave it a try. Worked great for me.
Might work. Seems like the canvas would shrink and tighten up if something like that was used.
Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”