zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Dozerman51 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:02 pm
Hi Zeph,
Looks like it’s coming along very nicely. Which vendor did you use for the wiring harness? I used Vintage Wiring Of Maine. Pricey, but top quality work and the installation instructions were very easy to follow. Hope you have a nice New Years. :D
Hi Joe,

I used Vintage Wiring of Maine as well. They muffed the harness above, so had to send it back and they fixed it. Has a lot of extra wires on it now which they say are ground wires. Not original, but there are like five extra wires on the harness now. As long as it is wired for two tall lights now and not four like it was originally, it should be ok. I hope!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:12 pm

Happy New Year!

Since it's the first day of the new decade, I felt the urge to shoot some OD. Weather was a little rainy this morning, but I held out and used wax and grease remover for a few hours to prep the body. Lots of real estate on this Carryall inside and out.

I stressed on the dash for a bit and taped it off to do the inside first then remove the tape and shoot the body and dash. Just before I rolled it out after the rain, I pulled the tape off the dash and ended up shooting the whole body inside and out all at once. Long job, but fun.

The bugs, however, showed up to be memorialized in the paint. I crush them with my finger into the paint and lay it on a little heavier. Always has worked in the past. Plus it's a military vehicle, eh?

Zeph

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Your Carry All is looking very nice Zeph. I really enjoy seeing your progress. I have to jump on board your 'complain train' about the bugs landing in the fresh paint. GGGRRRRR :evil: !! I don't know what it is about the paint or solvent that rings the dinner bell but, there is always a few that land in the paint. All I can think is, "If this bug only knew how much time and effort it took to get THIS point with my project, it wouldn't do that to MY paint" !!

This is how I feel about bugs landing in my freshly sprayed paint..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xx1yBtzZO4..... :lol:
Last edited by D.R.H. on Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Hello Zeph,

Happy New Year to You and all the G503'ers !!

What an inspirational and commendable job you have been doing on this rolling piece of US History !!
It looks beautiful, nice paint job :D :D :D

Your Dodge fleet is multiplying in a beautiful way !!

Did you repaint your Jeep, from what it was, or did you get another one ?

Thanks so much for all of the posts with your projects.

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:44 am

D.R.H. wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:33 pm
Your Carry All is looking very nice Zeph. I really enjoy seeing your progress. I have to jump on board your 'complain train' about the bugs landing in the fresh paint. GGGRRRRR :evil: !! I don't know what it is about the paint or solvent that rings the dinner bell but, there is always a few that land in the paint. All I can think is, "If this bug only knew how much time and effort it took to get THIS point with my project, it wouldn't do that to MY paint" !!

This is how I feel about bugs landing in my freshly sprayed paint..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xx1yBtzZO4..... :lol:
70th Division wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:33 pm
Hello Zeph,

Happy New Year to You and all the G503'ers !!

What an inspirational and commendable job you have been doing on this rolling piece of US History !!
It looks beautiful, nice paint job :D :D :D

Your Dodge fleet is multiplying in a beautiful way !!

Did you repaint your Jeep, from what it was, or did you get another one ?

Thanks so much for all of the posts with your projects.

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks. Yes, those bugs are amazing how they come out of nowhere direct to fresh paint. Look around before I start and not one bug to be found! Oh well, the booth rental is cheap, eh?

Ray, someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse on my first '42 GPW. Missed her and ended up acquiring a '43. In a sense I upgraded a year. 8) The new to me GPW has a great DOD of 12-7-1943. A famous, or should I say infamous date, for sure. Drive the new to me GPW a lot more than I ever drove the first one. Not sure why...I think I just wanted to keep it nice. Only had like 167 miles on it after I finished restoring it 7 years previous.
Zeph

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:16 am

Better than an E ticket at Disneyland.Now the real fun begins,can't wait!
Happy New Year!
Bob

superdave
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by superdave » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:13 pm

At the rate you are going it should be ready for Plymouth ??

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:52 pm

chibobber wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:16 am
Better than an E ticket at Disneyland.Now the real fun begins,can't wait!
Happy New Year!
Bob
Yes, now need to figure out how to get the body back on the frame by myself...without scratching it I might add. 8)
superdave wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:13 pm
At the rate you are going it should be ready for Plymouth ??
I would like to shoot for that, but not sure. Would be nice to shake it down on another convoy, eh?
Zeph

Gbcygnet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Gbcygnet » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:39 am

Happy new year Zeph.

The Dodge is looking great, you're building a fabulous collection.

I've only got room for one military vehicle; some people may recognise it!......
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG (129.38 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Ford GPW 24.03.1942
Serial no. GPW6024

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:55 am

Gbcygnet wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:39 am
Happy new year Zeph.

The Dodge is looking great, you're building a fabulous collection.

I've only got room for one military vehicle; some people may recognise it!......
Thank you! For some reason that does look familiar. :) Great photo as well!

Happy New Year!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:34 am

Started to accumulated the body mounting hardware and pads, etc..., also started blasting small parts now that the body is painted up. Nice to do clean and get into OD some parts other than the body.

I did get all the grill parts blasted with the exception of the grill. Forgot to do that. I'll get it next time.

Also went to install my dash pad only to find out I should have ordered the fasteners when I ordered the pad. I've learned that before one installs anything on the freshly painted body, the firewall pad is number one!

Routed the main wiring for the lights along the frame cross member. I neglected to install the double clips there when I placed the hard line earlier, so had to redo that:

Also, found the time to flip the bumperettes on the frame which I installed upside down in error. Evidently, I was having flashbacks to the installation of my WC16 Command Car bumperettes...installed opposite of the WC26 Carryall. They were a lot easier to remove than when I originally removed the solidly rusted nuts on initial teardown.

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:39 pm

Since it took the engine shop over a year to complete the Carryall engine, a guy I know asked me if I needed an engine rebuilt. I thought sure. It would be good to get a jump start on the next project. Then I ended up having him do three for me. All these are T215's that I had. Two other engines the blocks were cracked beyond repair. He was able to stitch two of these together and save them. Not sure what's going in what yet, but being the planner I planned ahead:

Also, have kept busy with cleaning parts for the Carryall. Lots of little pieces to be cleaned and painted. I received the fasteners for the firewall pad and installed that this weekend. Felt great to actually start installing items on the body.

Now I need to get the body back on the chassis before I add too much and can't get it back on the chassis by myself. Would be nice to install the windows in the window boxes while the body is still on the rotisserie, but that would add too much weight, so will need to do that after installed on the chassis.

Now thinking of the electrical component installations. Not my strong suit. Mildly stressed just thinking about it:

Firewall pad installed:

Now installing the small items:

A little body work on the nose piece:

A lot of the correct bolts were missing. Plus a lot were rusted beyond reuse. Pulled out some of my Dodge WC bolt collection and decided to just blast a bunch of them to be used later if needed:

Nose piece getting some Gillespie or Ron's OD paint. I alternate about 50% between the two brands. Body could be one brand with hood and fenders the other. Can't tell the difference between the two. When they say 33070 on the can, it's 33070:

Hope to start assembling all of the grill components soon now that they are painted.
Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:02 pm

Great progress! I know what you mean about electrical.Old guy I knew said to treat it like plumbing,wire/pipe,switches/valves. I kept telling him I ain't
no plumber. :shock:
Bob

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:18 am

chibobber wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:02 pm
Great progress! I know what you mean about electrical.Old guy I knew said to treat it like plumbing,wire/pipe,switches/valves. I kept telling him I ain't
no plumber. :shock:
Bob
Thank you Bob, lol...yes, if I have great instructions, and the wiring diagram match the harness I'm installing I do pretty good. My Command Car project wiring from Vintage Wiring was awesome to install and I was fine. This new Vintage Wiring harness doesn't match much of anything on their wiring diagrams. Just worried I'll fry something when I got to start it up.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:18 pm

Hello Zeph,

Wow look at those engines :D :D :D :D
That is a beautiful sight that all G members would drool over.....so nice to see them like that !!

If you don't mind me asking, what did your engine guy charge to do an engine ?
I have some Dodge engines that need that level of TLC, not to mention some Jeep engines .

They look incredible and ready to Keep ' em Rolling when they are installed.

Keep up your good work, I bought that DUKW engine from California that was posted here on the G last week.
It may need an overhaul as well.

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”