Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:12 pm

Spent the entire day block sanding the body. Was not as bad as I thought after applying a ton of body filler. I think another thick coat of sanding primer and then will be good for the sealer primer. Then the final OD. Just need to figure out when to paint the OD. Getting too hot, even in the morning, to lay down a final coat. We'll see:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:55 pm

I think I'm on my third full coat of sanding primer now. I've sweated out a lot of beer over the last week sanding and sanding on this thing. Finally, I think I can lay down the final primer sealer coat. Maybe tomorrow. If that looks fairly decent, I will try to figure out when I can knock out a bug free final paint job.

Gets warm fast now, so have to get the painting done by about 7am or earlier, or the paint dries between leaving the gun and getting to the body. Tried some rattle can primer yesterday afternoon. Just bounced off the body:

Zeph

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:16 pm

Gets warm fast now, so have to get the painting done by about 7am or earlier, or the paint dries between leaving the gun and getting to the body.
What different worlds we live in, me and you.

It’s too COLD most days for me to paint!
I gotta warm up the paint and metal
Parts or it runs!!

Today I was driving at around 1pm today to run an errand and I seen 36 degrees on my trucks thermometer

Seriously? June 12th and it’s 36 degrees?
Perpetual winter up here in Colorado!
Attachments
IMG_7508.jpeg

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:01 am

wc56daveyboy wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:16 pm
Gets warm fast now, so have to get the painting done by about 7am or earlier, or the paint dries between leaving the gun and getting to the body.
What different worlds we live in, me and you.

It’s too COLD most days for me to paint!
I gotta warm up the paint and metal
Parts or it runs!!

Today I was driving at around 1pm today to run an errand and I seen 36 degrees on my trucks thermometer

Seriously? June 12th and it’s 36 degrees?
Perpetual winter up here in Colorado!
That is amazing. Way too cold for me. Overall, it's been fairly cool so far by our standards, however that's going to change. Trying to beat the heat this morning. Hoping to get the primer painted early. Looks like we'll be in the 100's starting tomorrow, and tomorrow's low is projected to be 69 degrees. No jacket required. Hahaha...
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:58 pm

Monumental, at least for me. Laid down the final primer...so to speak. Still a few areas that will need to be fixed, but overall, I thought it came out better than I thought it would. The heat was coming on fast, so it looks a little dry at the end of the second coat. Also, minimal buggage. I think I only counted like 10 bugs encased in the primer.

I will be constructing a temporary paint booth for the OD coat once I get the body ready for that. Hope to keep the bugs out of the final OD coat. Not going to hold my breath. lol

Zeph

Ernie Baals
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ernie Baals » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:47 pm

Looks great!!!!!
Rip Dad 1/22/24 to 12/21/11
I will always love and miss you.
Ernie Baals MVPA 104C and 3104, AACA, SJC MVPA

Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government
that requires every citizen to prove
they are insured……but not everyone
must prove they are a citizen”

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:09 pm

Looking sweet. As always we see every little blemish where others do not even notice. The curse of being a perfectionist. One thing nice about watching you rebuilt these rare vehicles is knowing they will not be trailer queens. What a legacy! :D

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:07 am

Ernie Baals wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:47 pm
Looks great!!!!!
chibobber wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:09 pm
Looking sweet. As always we see every little blemish where others do not even notice. The curse of being a perfectionist. One thing nice about watching you rebuilt these rare vehicles is knowing they will not be trailer queens. What a legacy! :D
Thanks guys. Felt pretty gool getting this whole body into primer. Was just checking the weather report. Looks like the next couple of days at 100 degrees, but then next week drops down into the 80's! In June here? Wow, not going to complain about cool weather. Any day under a 100 degrees is a gift now.

Have a plan in my mind to build a little paint booth. May give that a go today.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:05 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:58 pm
Monumental, at least for me. Laid down the final primer...so to speak. Still a few areas that will need to be fixed, but overall, I thought it came out better than I thought it would. The heat was coming on fast, so it looks a little dry at the end of the second coat. Also, minimal buggage. I think I only counted like 10 bugs encased in the primer.

I will be constructing a temporary paint booth for the OD coat once I get the body ready for that. Hope to keep the bugs out of the final OD coat. Not going to hold my breath. lol

Well done Zeph !!
She is looking great with the primer finally on it, and that cooler weather should help out a lot when adding the beautiful olive drab paint !

Very exciting as you are very close to assembly time :D :D !

That looks like a great Ben Hur in the background too !

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:25 pm

70th Division wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:05 pm
Well done Zeph !!
She is looking great with the primer finally on it, and that cooler weather should help out a lot when adding the beautiful olive drab paint !

Very exciting as you are very close to assembly time :D :D !

That looks like a great Ben Hur in the background too !

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Yes, that's my "dump run" Ben Hur Trailer. I have a complete 1942 Nash Kelvinator BH I would like to restore. Have everything for it including the wood, bows, bow hardware, and wiring harness, etc... Another project. Also have a complete original wood Willys Ben Hur trailer. All is original including the wood and canvas cover. Needs a little TLC. Some of the wood rack components have really shrunk over the last 80 years.

I did get a little time today to build a frame for the temporary paint booth. Have some clear visqueen that I will use for the four sides and roof. Need to find a box fan and filter to help blow the overspray outta there....:

Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:15 am

John,
The spray booth looks like it will work out well."visqeen" haven't heard that term in a while. I'm sure your aware, wet the floor down to make over spray easier to clean up. Don't forget to cover the rafters.
Can't wait for the build out.
Bob

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:58 pm

chibobber wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:15 am
John,
The spray booth looks like it will work out well."visqeen" haven't heard that term in a while. I'm sure your aware, wet the floor down to make over spray easier to clean up. Don't forget to cover the rafters.
Can't wait for the build out.
Bob
Of course, hasn't been windy here for months. Today...30 mph winds this morning and most of the day! lol Figures. Anyway. Only 95 degrees and the wind made it feel cooler. Sanded the the entire body inside and out and filled some minor holes that popped up where some of the body filler is.
Really can't beat the weather. Next week the forecast is showing a high of 74 degrees on Monday! What? That's insane. We had well over 70 days over 100 degrees last year. Hope we can stay below that this year. We'll take the cool weather. Looks like Sunday the temp will only be in the mid to high 50's at around 5am. I think I'm going to shoot for that for paint day.

I'll put the Visqueen on the five sides of the temp paint booth including the roof...I hope. Wind should subside. I was planning on using a tarp to cover the concrete. I also picked up a box fan and a filter at the ACE hardware today. I'll rig that up to blow in fresh air and try to keep the buggage to a minimum. I have my fine point bug tweezers for the errant bug that will want to memorialize themselves in the paint.

Can't wait to get the whole body in OD. Trying to figure out how I did my WC16 body interior and body outside all at once. I just shot that rig in the driveway early in the morning. I'll get it figured out. Lots of real estate on these bodies.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:26 am

Hello Zeph,

Your paint booth project sounds perfect !

A good painting plan, with the temps cooperating, it will be a big well planned effort !

Looking forward to the progress, and how it comes out !

Keep those bug tweezers handy :D !
Hopefully you won't need them !

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:00 pm

70th Division wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:26 am
Hello Zeph,

A good painting plan, with the temps cooperating, it will be a big well planned effort !

Best Regards,
Ray
Final prep on the body today. Shooting for a Monday morning...6am-ish paint job. Weather report is showing a high of 74 degrees here on Monday! 54 degrees around 6am. Totally crazy. Lived here all my life, and it should be 100's every day here now. We haven't even used our air conditioner yet this year. Global cooling! I'll take it as we had 75 days of over 100 degrees last year. I'm digging it.

Hope to get the visqueen up tomorrow and everything ready to go on the temp paint booth. I need to run an air hose 300 feet from my front shop to the rear shop to get air for my paint gun. We'll see how that goes:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:42 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:00 pm
70th Division wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:26 am
Hello Zeph,

Best Regards,
Ray
Final prep on the body today. Shooting for a Monday morning...6am-ish paint job. Weather report is showing a high of 74 degrees here on Monday! 54 degrees around 6am. Totally crazy. Lived here all my life, and it should be 100's every day here now. We haven't even used our air conditioner yet this year. Global cooling! I'll take it as we had 75 days of over 100 degrees last year. I'm digging it.

Hope to get the visqueen up tomorrow and everything ready to go on the temp paint booth. I need to run an air hose 300 feet from my front shop to the rear shop to get air for my paint gun. We'll see how that goes:

Looks great !

Enjoy and take advantage of the good weather !! Good luck with the painting!
I understand that Lake Shasta is filled up again , right to the brim, from all the snow pack you had this winter,
and the reservoirs are all filled up in California.
That is great to hear !

Keep us posted !
Ray

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”