Help on my WC63

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Help on my WC63

Post by dpcd67 » Thu May 26, 2022 5:10 pm

I have a problem with my steering gear position; when it is mounted to the frame, the steering column hits the right side of the body tub, and when the column tube is installed it bends the steering shaft and makes it hard to turn.
The body is on straight and won't go any farther to the right.
If I put a 1/8ths inch washer on the front two steering gear bolts, it then aligns correctly.
What would you do?
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

PoW
Commodore
Commodore
Re: Help on my WC63

Post by PoW » Thu May 26, 2022 9:14 pm

I'd use the washers and call it good. :D

You're probably a victim of all the manufacturing tolerances giving you fits. Or just a plain old error during welding.

PoW
Dodges in the Arizona desert.

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Thu May 26, 2022 10:39 pm

Tom, is there a chance that the left frame rail is bent? Is the crossmember that supports the spare tire carrier installed? If not, that may re-align both frame rails?

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri May 27, 2022 6:57 am

I looked at that; frame is perfect. Cross member installed. The issue might be that this truck kit was made from three trucks; (I got it all dissembled in boxes like a big model kit, only with no glue) and might be tolerance stack up as POW said; but I never had this happen before. Steering gear box is like new and the teeth inside barely have worn off the finish.
I don't think the cab came from this frame because it was a different color. But it's so simple; these cabs are very small and light. I checked to see if it was warped too; it isn't. I can't move it any more to the right even if I opened up the frame bracket holes. It is already half inch more to the right than the left.
I thought about machining off the back of the steering box, but it would be hard to hold in my mill.
Here you can see the frame rail where the steering box bolts.
And a picture of the side of it. For no good reason.
Attachments
wc63 side - 1.jpeg
wc63 1 - 1.jpeg
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Fri May 27, 2022 8:17 am

That's a tough call- only because the washer addition sounds like it may remedy the issue. However, I would still want to get to the root of the alignment problem. You've messed with these old Dodges and Jeeps longer than I have, but I can't say I've run into past fitment issues if a frame, along with the tub/cab was true and not bent or warped. Something seems odd?

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 am

Hello,

I wonder if maybe the cab could be from a KD ambulance and be made bigger or have some differences if your truck came as parts piles from various Dodges.

For example the KD fenders look like WC but are bigger I believe.
I think the hood may be longer too, even though it is an open cab.

But that is from memory, and may be less that accurate.

But it might be a clue ?

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Fri May 27, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:35 pm

I don't know why it is but it is. The cab and hood are all WC 63 or 52. Actually the hood is original to that frame. I sold what I think was the original cab because it had the top cut out of it for some unknown reason. But it came with two cabs. I called Vintage Power wagons this morning and they had not seen it either.
So I put the washers under the steering box and it works fine. Everything lines up now. I can't dwell on it any longer; thanks for the ideas too!
It will forever be a mystery with the only explanation that they shipped it that way and no one cared; it still worked.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”