Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Zeph's Dodge VC1 Command Car Restoration

Post by chibobber » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:06 am

The shop inspector has spoken. Great looking progress. Did you use a step drill on the shims?
Bob

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:18 am

Hello Zeph,

A great update in progress !!
I am glad that posting will go on for this super rare vehicle ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

We all appreciate your efforts to share your hard works with the G and the larger world.

You are a master at your craft, and an inspiration for us all on our vehicle works as well !!

Keep ' em Rolling !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:29 pm

chibobber wrote: โ†‘
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:06 am
The shop inspector has spoken. Great looking progress. Did you use a step drill on the shims?
Bob
You know, I bought a set of step drills some time ago, and I keep forgetting to use them. seems every time I get done with something I realize I shoulda used the step drill bits. I think I just need to lay them on the bench so I know they are there!

70th Division wrote: โ†‘
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:18 am
Hello Zeph,

A great update in progress !!
I am glad that posting will go on for this super rare vehicle ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

We all appreciate your efforts to share your hard works with the G and the larger world.

You are a master at your craft, and an inspiration for us all on our vehicle works as well !!

Keep ' em Rolling !!!

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. Got side tracked for a few days, but moved forward a little more the past couple of days. Stated thinking about the transfer case shims and the rubber vibration insulators. First, I can't figure out why the have four 1/4 inch transfer case shims for the mounts made of metal. I think I would have made the mounts a 1/4 inch longer, but what do I know. Must be a good reason. I looked around the shop for some rubber, and finally found a little chunk of radiator hose that I save. See, hoarding does come in handy on occasion. lol

After I was able to get that out of my mind, I turned my thoughts to the shocks and replacing the rubber bushings. Lots of little parts to the knee action shocks:

Figured I'd paint the body and running mount wood blocks while I was working on the shocks:

Now onto the fuel tank and trying to figure out a strap solution for the lower side. I had the original brackets for the top of the tank. Pretty heavy duty metal clips. Seems a bit of overkill and a waste of metal:

I had some weird tanks straps, so checked those out and it looked like they would fit fairly well, so cut of the straps and modified them to work:

Looks like they will work. I had some 1 inch wide 1/4 inch felt that I used to line the lower straps:

Found a tag inside the tank as I was cleaning it out. It's an NOS tank from about 1963 it appears. I heard that it's from Canada and it was for some type of Plymouth car. Fits well, howevrer:

Painted up the tank:

Finally, after sanding down the brakes and having the hubs on and off for what seems like a hundred times the rear wheels are actually mounted! Still was worried about how tight everything is at the rear axle:

Had to source a battery box. Figures, I had a nice one and sold it! I should have my hoarding card revoked immediate

So, was thinking I was going to get the front wheels on. Not so fast my friend. Like everything else on this VC the tolerances are tight. Foiled by modern sized lock washers. I couldn't get the wheel past these as the stuck out like a thousandth of an inch!

Anyway, after dealing with the above issue....ta da! A rolling chassis. Was worried I wouldn't be able to push it around due to the tightness in the front and rear axles. I was wrong. Rolls like butter. Very happy about that:

After spending so much time on the chassis, now I can move on and dink around with the engine:

Thought I would get the wiring, brake lines and fuel lines run around the engine area before I attempted to install the engine:

Engine install time:

Had this starter rebuilt and stuck it into place:

The rebuilt generator, which is correct for a VC1, was a bit of work. I don't have the original genny bracket. The genny is smaller than a Dodge WC, however I modified a Dodge WC 6 volt genny lower bracket to fit. I also had to use a Dodge WC 12 volt upper bracket to get everything to fit:

I had picked up two Dodge WC half-ton transfer cases some time ago, so pulled them out and will use one for the VC. I have to switch the mechanic yokes to the Detroit style yokes:

Donor transfer case for the harvesting of the Detroit style yokes on the left with the NOS transfer case on the right. I hem hawed on trying to figure out if I should open up the NOS transfer case or leave it as is and just change the yokes and seals:

The Detroit yokes look great. No wear grooves in them. That's great!

I like taking off the Detroit yokes vs. the mechanic yokes. Barely can get to the mechanic yoke cotter pins as they are recessed down inside. was a bit of work to get them out:

Oh hell, popped open the NOS case. I just couldn't stand it. I'll replace the gaskets, seals and get everything cleaned up. Oh well:

In the meantime, I searched and searched and found some 3/8 inch x 24 acorn nuts. I thought it would look cool to have them on the front axle flanges. Wha'dya think? Of course I'll blast and paint OD. Had a better finished look than just plain ol' nuts, eh?:

I also installed the five running board frame brackets:

Finished up the modification of the generator brackets. Everything appears to be in alinement now....belt-wise that is:

Looks good enough for government work now:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

superdave
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by superdave » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:07 pm

WOW you are making fast work of this project you might want to slow down a bit otherwise it will be done before Christmas and then whats the next project?

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:10 pm

Hello,

Wow Zeph !!!!
You are really making rapid progress !!!

I am amazed at what you get done in only a few days.

The parts look great..

Do you have a good place that rebuilds the generators ?

Also did you have to do any work on the knee shocks ?

Rebuild or were they good ?

Is your engine one of the batch you had rebuilt a while back ?

It looks great !

I like the yellow tips on the fan blade too !
Keep us posted ,
I hope I can up my productivity to your level ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ !!

I spend a lot of time working, but
sometimes things seem to stand still.

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:32 am

superdave wrote: โ†‘
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:07 pm
WOW you are making fast work of this project you might want to slow down a bit otherwise it will be done before Christmas and then whats the next project?
lol...yes, it's nice to have more time to dink around on the projects. I have a stash of trucks out back, so I don't think I'll run out of projects before I run out of time. Next projects are in this order at the moment after the VC1: Dodge WC57, Dodge WC22, Dodge WC63, and if I have anything left in the tank, the Dodge WC53, and the Chevy M6 bomb truck. I have a Dodge WC62 as well, but I think the WC63 will be enough for me.

Did I hear they have released the hounds, and that Canadians can move about the country and in to the USofA? If so, maybe we'll see you at Plymouth in April?
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:10 pm
Hello,

Wow Zeph !!!!
You are really making rapid progress !!!

I am amazed at what you get done in only a few days.

The parts look great..

Do you have a good place that rebuilds the generators ?

Also did you have to do any work on the knee shocks ?

Rebuild or were they good ?

Is your engine one of the batch you had rebuilt a while back ?

It looks great !

I like the yellow tips on the fan blade too !
Keep us posted ,
I hope I can up my productivity to your level ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ !!

I spend a lot of time working, but
sometimes things seem to stand still.

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray, yes been nice with the cool weather. Saturday was 81 degrees and in the 70's mostly. Dodging some rain here and there as well.

I took eight sets of gennys and regulators to the Genernator as well as a starter to be rebuilt. All the regulators are his design and electronic. Everything is 155 amp now, so charging seems to be pretty good and the headlights seem to be fairly bright. Here's a shot of some of the junk I took up to him. Had to rotate as I left some in the trucks to drive while he finished these, then I switched them out and he took the operational ones and rebuilt them. Made everything A circuit positive ground. I left the VC and WC22 six volt. Everything else converted to 12 volt:

The come back like this. The VC regulator is the small one which is original. Took me some time to find the correct regulator and genny for the VC:

Here's Don's website. He's a great guy. He delivered all my stuff to the house. He's been here three times now. Really saved the shipping costs as these things are heavy. Well over 400lbs altogether: https://www.gener-nator.com/

I only cleaned up the knee shocks and replaced all the rubber bushings. They seem to be ok. I have like 20 sets lying around, so used the four best that appeared to work and don't leak. I have never had one rebuilt. If they don't work and that's all I have, it still goes on. I don't think they do too much with the heavy springs. I don't load these things up too much.

The engine is one of the three I had rebuilt last year. I had to remember to install the correct bell housing for the VC vs. the Dodge WC. That will ruin your day pretty quickly if not. lol

I also now have the wiring harnesses for all my future truck rebuilds and two sets for Ben Hurs. I always figure the longest lead time is engines and wiring harnesses. Everything else I do myself. Looks like I need a couple more engines rebuilt now.
Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:27 am

Bravo! Love the progress. The step bits are great for sheet metal holes. Used them all the time on motorcycle fenders.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:54 am

chibobber wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:27 am
Bravo! Love the progress. The step bits are great for sheet metal holes. Used them all the time on motorcycle fenders.
I need to get with the program. I've probably had a set of three step bits, but have yet to ever use one. Totally slips my mine. I'll work on that. 8)
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:43 am

Been goofing off raking leaves, putting up Christmas lights, and enjoying the Thanksgiving holiday. I did sneak in a little time to work on the VC1.

First, had to paint the acorn nuts for the front axle flanges. Actually look pretty good:

Also received back my hood ornament. Price was reasonable for the place in Reno. $135 all in with shipping both ways:

I also finally bit the bullet to straighten the front frame rails so I could install the bumper. Pondered it for some time, but finally had to resort to heat to make it happen. Didn't want to burn off the new primer and paint, but what's one to do. Here's the bend before I started. Tilted inward:

Cleaned up and repainted:

It's a collision of bolts in this area. Almost like the German war machine. Why use one part when ten parts will do the same thing:

Nice to get it all together. Still will have to take it apart a bit to get the brush guard on later:

Also finished up the transfer case:

Hulking this thing up with one hand and trying to install the bolts, shims and rubber insulators is a workout. Still think a third hand would be a good mutation to the human body. Darn thing must weigh about 80 to 100 lbs.

I kept noticing the shocks, or shock links actually, didn't look quite right. Seemed like the were in full rebound, or at their limit of travel. I had some NOS long straight shock links, so heated them up and bent them to fit. Did add a little extra travel where the arm sits in the middle of its travel. Probably just over thinking it as usual:

I had some NOS cage nuts for the transmission that are actually good. Had about 10 others that just had a hint of rust on them which makes them useless. Really a bummer. I guess it's good to have a couple good ones:

The transmission is pretty rugged. Looks like it ran for quite a while without the speedo cable on. Also had a standard nut holding on the parking brake drum. Usually they are a castellated nut. It did have a cotter pin in there to keep it from backing all the way off, but the nut was still backed off about an 1/8 of an inch. The nut was large where I couldn't get a wrench or a thin wall socket on it, so had to heat it up and chisel it off:

Some of the other nuts were quite rusted and the heads were toast. Had to weld some nuts on a few to get them off:

Overall it look pretty good inside gear wise. Some of the shafts are grooved beyond re-use. Likely due to the loose nut:

Found a castellated nut, so when I put it back together it hopefully won't back off like the non-castellated nut did:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:22 pm

Hello Zeph,

What a lot of great work in this update !!

You get more done I think, before most people get out of bed ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ !

That frame straightening looks like it came out beautiful !

The other works look impressive too, do you think the transmission will be good to go as far as the original gears ?

Keep up your Great work !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:47 pm

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:22 pm
Hello Zeph,

What a lot of great work in this update !!

You get more done I think, before most people get out of bed ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ !

That frame straightening looks like it came out beautiful !

The other works look impressive too, do you think the transmission will be good to go as far as the original gears ?

Keep up your Great work !!!

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

Thanks! lol...that's funny. Once in a while my wife says the same thing. Getting more done my 9am than most people get done all day. I guess not sitting around or watching TV leaves a bit of time to dink around.

I think the transmission gears are good, but I have four sets of NOS gears and shafts that I will use. I wish I had these before I did my Command Car and Carryall transmission rebuilds. I'll probably pass these gears on to someone that may need them. I think good gears are getting a little more difficult to find nowadays.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Hi Zeph,

I am looking for a Dodge half ton transmission for my WC-12 or the gears to properly rebuild it, so if have a good spare transmission or you decide to sell a gear set, please let me know as I would be interested.

I am chipping away on my jeep project, and also a little on the GMC and Dodge , and love it !!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:46 am

Thanks Ray. I have had the gears and transmission pieces soaking in Simple Green for the past few days. Hopefully, pulling them out for cleaning today to see what they look like overall. I know the case and the other parts will be a workout to clean. A lot of caked on grease that nothing will touch but elbow grease.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Was going to pull apart the transmission piece that the is used to shift the transfer case into four wheel drive. Removed the inside bolt that was safety wire tied. After I removed the bolt, I decided to just leave it alone. Had to put the bolt back in and get that safety wire back in there. That wasn't too easy, but done:

Also pulled out all the gears and shafts I need to rebuild the transmission. Lots of Cosmoline clean up in my immediate future:

Ray....I cleaned the gears I removed from the transmission. They had a little surface rusts, however the cluster gear has some pitting. A real bummer that they weren't all in the oil. If it were me, I'd re-use all the gears, with the exception of the cluster gear, for a rebuild if I didn't have the new gears. Probably would use the cluster as well if it was all I had. I believe there is a cluster gear on ebay for $500. VPW shows that they are all out now. I'll probably just rat hole all of these gears.

However, if you are interested in the three decent gears. $150 shipped. $175 shipped if you want the cluster gear as well. These things are pretty heavy.

I tried to take some close up photos. I hit them with the wire wheel just to give an idea what they would look like if totally wire wheeled:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 pm

Hello Zeph,

Thanks !
I will take them all for $175 shipped.
I will sent payment your way !
I am not sure of the shape of the gears in my WC-12 transmission, so with yours and mine , I should have enough to do a rebuild.
I assume they share the same transmission ?

I took the frozen stick shifter and cover off my transmission and added oil.
I will add white vinegar in there likely as well.it removes rust pretty well.
There was water and oil in there.
Nice that some moron shot out all the windows and headlights some years ago in California with a pellet gun as no bullet holes in the steel, and let the rain in all these years.

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to โ€œPower Wagon Forumsโ€