Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:24 am

I think I've finally completed the floor install for the Carryall! Drilled the final holes for the front wood cover cap, and drilled all of the holes for the seat keys and spare tire holder and installed all of those screws as well. I still need to cut two sheet metal plates to cover the front floor body bolts, but that should be it.

What a workout. Can't believe how long this "little" project went on. Of course, it took me all day to install the washers, lock washers and all the nuts on all the bolts underneath. I had to figure out how to hold the screws/bolts down while installing the nuts. Then had to figure out how to tighten them all. :dunno:

I was up and down from inside on the floor to sliding under the truck hundreds of times it seems. Didn't help that it was 110 degrees. Perspired just a tad.

I did manage to get the front doors blasted when it was only like 100 degrees out in the am. Second time as the floor project took so long to complete. I just didn't have time to work on them. I test mixed a bit of body filler yesterday. Dried in like 10 seconds, so not sure I can work on the doors anyway. Nice to have the floor done in any event!

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:23 am

That interior is looking Factory New. Well done.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Apr 42 GPW 14518 USA 2069296
Mar 42 GPW 5765 USA 2060543
Converto Dump Trailer 0885566

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 am

17thAirborne wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:23 am
That interior is looking Factory New. Well done.
Thanks Oz!

Hope all is well.
Zeph

Dozerman51
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Dozerman51 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi Zeph,
Like right off the assembly line. Superb work there.... no doubt about it. I’m here in June Lake Ca cooling my jets off from the heat blast in the Bay Area. It’s a pleasant 81 here. Don’t get heat stroke working in that weather up in Cottonwood.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:52 am

Dozerman51 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:33 pm
Hi Zeph,
Like right off the assembly line. Superb work there.... no doubt about it. I’m here in June Lake Ca cooling my jets off from the heat blast in the Bay Area. It’s a pleasant 81 here. Don’t get heat stroke working in that weather up in Cottonwood.
Thanks Joe. Sounds like a great place to cool your jets! It was pleasant 81 degrees here on my way to work at 6 am this morning. 8)
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:44 pm

Moving on with working on the front doors of the Carryall. They are pretty beat, so need some fairly extensive bodywork. First, they were really dented and the metal was stretched fairly good. Figured I would torch them and hammer and dolly the molecules to the center in hopes the oil canning would tighten up and cease.

It was so hot out that I used some ice to keep the water cool:

Well, it appeared to work, but still have a lot of body work to do:

Just a smidge of body filler:

Shot a little Red Oxide to seal every thing up:

Then a little of the 2X primer:

Now the work begins:

I sanded and sanded and then shot some more 2X on the doors:

Finally ready to go for an attempt at final OD:

Not happy with the OD. Had a couple of runs. It was cooler today. Only 99 degrees, but still the paint drys before it hits the door sometimes. I'll sand them down...again...and shoot them in the early morning when it's really cool like 85 degrees.

Also took a break and installed the floor mat for the cab:

Then painted up the rear chains and latches and installed the leather covers:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:05 pm

Well, I did finally shoot the front doors and mounted them up. Actually kinda odd seeing the doors installed now after looking at this beast for a few years without the doors:

Now on to the tailgate which was a wrinkly mess. Been dreading this project, but actually getting a bit more confident on how to go about making it look decent:

More hardware for the tailgate. A never ending supply of hardware it seems:

I then made a discovery as I was looking over the front doors to see how the locking mechanisms and window hardware goes back in. The metal window channel that is welded in on the side of the door where it latches was missing from the passenger door! I don't recall it being missing when I removed everything. Very weird:

Here's where it should be:

Here's the one that's inside the driver's door:

Great! Now I need to make one and figure out how to weld it inside the door now that it's all painted. Lovely. Well, might as well get to it. Made up the channel:

Kinda like building a ship in a bottle, but just enough room to get my MIG welder tip in there upside down. I couldn't see with my helmet, so had to do it by feel and without looking:

Whew! All done and didn't scorch the fresh paint:

Now on to the upper tailgate door. It needs a bit of work too. Nice work by the PO on a repair here:

I cleaned up and painted the original rear view mirror and installed. Nice to get back to the little things:

Also installed the lower front door seals:

I attempted to apply the final OD on the tailgate this evening as the temperature was only 90 degrees. All went well and looked perfect until the last pass! Gun clogged and spit out chunks on the lower part of the tailgate. Now need to re-sand and shoot that again in the morning. Hopefully, there won't be too much ash falling to mix into the paint as I spray. Bugs used to be my number one enemy, but now it's ash from all the fires around us. Has been about 75 to 80 degrees around five an in the morning, but should be in the 60's tomorrow morning before it starts heating up.
Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:06 am

Zeph,
Always worry about you and yours when the fires are raging.Glad your okay! Great progress,looking good as always.
Stay safe.
Bob

Dozerman51

Post by Dozerman51 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:09 am

Coming along nicely. Installing that 1 piece lower door weatherstrip is a piece of cake. John Bizal really has it dialed in.Hopefully the fires stay away from the Cottonwood area. Stay cool up there and take it slow and steady. :D

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:46 am

chibobber wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:06 am
Zeph,
Always worry about you and yours when the fires are raging.Glad your okay! Great progress,looking good as always.
Stay safe.
Bob
Fortunately, we are well here. Fires all around us, but none in Shasta County at this time. Just socked in with smoke for about a month now. I actually thought I saw someone wearing a mask up here, but I'm sure I was mistaken. No one would do that and be thought to me wearing one due to some flu bug.

Carryall is slowly getting there. Going to have clavicle surgery Oct. 1st, so that will slow me down. Starting to stress as I don't watch TV and never sit down when I'm home. I'm full bore almost 24/7. :?

Dozerman51 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:09 am
Coming along nicely. Installing that 1 piece lower door weatherstrip is a piece of cake. John Bizal really has it dialed in.Hopefully the fires stay away from the Cottonwood area. Stay cool up there and take it slow and steady. :D
Thanks Joe. Yes, JB makes some great parts. Appreciate his contributions to our hobby. Next time you're up here, stop on my.

I took the WC51 to downtown Cottonwood, ok, so called downtown. lol Anyway, they couldn't have the car show that's held each September, so they held a cruise night. A couple people did get outta their cars, but only for a few hours. :o Anyway, there were a lot of cars. The main drag in front of Roger's Frosty was repaved with rubber. Just when one thought the smoke couldn't get any worse:

A little video I shot last eveing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFjyyv6j9tE

Take care,
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:01 pm

Still plugging along. Knocked out a few other minor projects on the WC26 Carryall this past Saturday. Turned my attention to the rear upper door. Not too beat up. A bit of body work on the outside and some holes to be filled on the inside. Not sure why a PO cut a bunch of holes in the upper clam shell:

Also installed the door stops. Note to self: don't install the kick panels until these are installed. Oh well, that's all done now:

Also finally had the time to shoot the final OD on the lower tailgate after a few miss-fires. Had to re-sand this a few times which seemed to take forever:

Cleaned up the upper door lift/support too:

Primer time for the upper door:

Final Red Oxide primer:

Of course me favorite color:

Now is the time I have been waiting for for a long time. I did a lot of work fixing the opening for the rear doors. Plus making the doors fit the openings. Seems like years...actually it has been years to get to this point. The moment of truth is upon us:

Can't forget the lower rear doot handle. Blast and paint:

Checking for fit and feel of the rear door latches:

Now time for the real money shot with both door in place:

I now can think about how to install the rear glass:

I also found some NOS door remote springs and some springs for the door latches. Not quite like the originals, so had to modify a bit. Hoping they will work. At least now I can think about installing the front door glass and latches:

Well, sadly all this is going to come to a screeching halt. I was hoping to finish the Carryall, but I have been a bit of a slacker. I've basically been working one handed for some time as I need shoulder surgery. Don't want to do it, but it limits what I can do. Did I say painful? It really slows me down on projects like this. October 1st is D-day as I go under the knife and will be out of action for a number of months. Hopefully, I can just about have everything completed with the exception of the seats...so close, but yet so far.

It's going to be hard on me because I don't sit down when I'm home. I don't watch TV. I'm just designed to do projects for some reason. It's gonna be hard to lay low. Oh well, hopefully the pain will go away and then I can actually get some work done for a change! :shock:
Zeph

superdave
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by superdave » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:52 pm

Well I hope your surgery goes well, Fingers crossed. I will miss the updates but a persons health comes first and take your time to mend as if you push yourself too hard it may backfire and take longer to heel in the long run, Ask me how I know.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:52 am

superdave wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:52 pm
Well I hope your surgery goes well, Fingers crossed. I will miss the updates but a persons health comes first and take your time to mend as if you push yourself too hard it may backfire and take longer to heel in the long run, Ask me how I know.
Thanks Superdave. Yeah, you're right. Holding back and taking it easy will not be too easy, but I need to do so. It's actually a Distel Clavicle Resection. I had it done in 2010 after having the bone on bone for about 10 years and ignoring it. At the same time I had a Superior Labrum tear repaired on the same side after 26 years. A twofer. They didn't have a repair for the SL back in the day, but technology catches up so I had it.

Anyway, I had about two months of bliss without pain until the Physical Therapist pulled too hard on it as I complained for him not to. He popped it and it's been bad ever since. That was 2010. Going back to the same doctor. I told the doctor that he should put a pad between the bones. He said they do that now. Right on! Therefore I really want to make sure it heals right this time. It's is hell getting older. 8)

Good to hear from you. Hopefully, we'll see you at the next show down in Plymouth in April...!

Take care,
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:52 am

Now that I actually have some motivation to get off my butt and get the Carryall completed, I performed some rare weekday work last evening. Installed the lift support for the rear upper door:

Now trying to figure out which way the weather stripping is attached on the rear doors. These two photos show two ways it could be installed into the clips. Not sure which way to go yet:

One would think that after 80 years the original chain links would hold up. As I was squeezing the lower connecting link, I broke the regular chain link. Now that everything is cleaned up and put together, I need to weld that.

I was sorta dreading installing the rear window rubber seals. Primarily, cutting the rubber too short. It's an S style seal that goes over the metal lip of the window opening and then curves around and wraps around the edge of the window.

May have cut a little short now only worried about it shrinking and cracking. I have noticed that all the new rubber parts I get start cracking and degrading and need to be replaced in about three years.

That's if they are kept indoors. Likely would rot out in a year or so if left outside. Amazing how the 80 year old rubber holds up.

All installed:

Installed the metal clips on the inside:

Pulled out the windshield from storage. I remember when I put it away for later that I was thinking it didn't need any work and was good to go. Now something is not like the others. It looks like it needs to be binned. Not sure what to do with it at this time. The glass is the green glass and looks in good shape. The frame...not so much:

Zeph

Dozerman51

Post by Dozerman51 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi Zeph,
Great work on the widows. Yes, this new age rubber leaves much to be desired. That frame has seen much better days. Just install one of the NOS ones you picked up some time ago and be done with it. You can always take it apart save the glass etc and mess around later trying to weld up and repair it. Can it be done, of course. Just will take time. It is a hobby so it’s not like the business motto of “Time is money”. :D :D :D. My Cousin is having some roofs replaced at his Ranch in early Oct. I’ll get in touch with you and see if I we can come by and look at your progress. Have a nice weekend.
Joe

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”