Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:06 pm

Painted on the blue drab hood registration numbers this week. Turned out pretty good.

This evening I cut down some oak I had to reproduce the 79 year old rear window frame wood. I have to re-use the rear upper wood piece as it is curved. Steam bent I believe is how the did it back then. Since the original holes were wallered-out and wood cracked, I will flip them from side to side and I re-drilled the holes. Had to make all of the recesses in the wood sections for the window channel clips. Took a bit of time to cut all the wood down and cut the recesses:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

fernando mendes
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by fernando mendes » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:28 am

:shock:
08.Set.17 576.jpg
28.abril.18 2437.jpg
Jeep Willys MB DoD dec,16 1942 s/n:196275
Dodge B3-B 4x2 1952 s/n:90099559
CCKW 353 Banjo 1944 s/n:309623

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:16 pm

Been rather warm here of late, so my blasting time on the big parts for the Carryall project I need to work on is nil. I did clean up a few small parts for OD paint:

Installed a couple of the door bumpers. They were a little tricky to install as they have a metal insert that tends to fall out while trying to install the screw:

Took the time this weekend to rip the Oak wood planks for the floor. They need to be pretty close to right on size wise. I'm not much of a wood worker, but I think it went pretty good. The table saw is a handy item. A friend gave it to me when he scored a new one. It beats the Skill saw I'm used to using for this type of project:

Fit like a glove. Looks pretty good:

Now need to cut for length. The rear is at an angle. The front sections are all at the same length. Taking my time to make sure I don't cut them too short:

Today I picked up my windows from the window shop. Been a couple weeks. They called me at 3:50 pm on Friday and said they were ready, but closed at 4:00 pm. I'm a half-hour away. Was hoping to have them to install over the weekend. In any event, I wished they would have just called me on Monday. Oh well, have them now. And I can say they did an outstanding job, so was really worth the wait. Just be another week until I can get to thinking about them again:

Zeph

Dozerman51
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Dozerman51 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi Zeph,
Great work. Can’t wait for a ride in the finished product. :D :D :D :D

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 am

Dozerman51 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:49 pm
Hi Zeph,
Great work. Can’t wait for a ride in the finished product. :D :D :D :D
Thanks! Looks like the next meet at Plymouth will be April 2021. Lots of cancellation of events going on nowadays. :(
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:39 pm

Novembers elections will probably have an effect on these shutdowns. We will have to wait and see.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:29 am

mdainsd wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:39 pm
Novembers elections will probably have an effect on these shutdowns. We will have to wait and see.
In response to the state-wide orders in California to wear a mask in public and at work, I sent out guidelines for all of our staff. When employees ask me how long will this be in effect, I just say until November 4th. :)
Zeph

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:58 am

Perfect!
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:24 pm

This past weekend I took the plunge in trying to install the windows on the WC26. Not sure why I have been dreading it. Probably because I made the window boxes and worried nothing would align. Well, it was judgement day. First had to repair some of the regulators. No parts available, so had to make up some springs for the regulator rollers. Had to grind off the studs to install, and then weld them back in:

Not quite factory, but hopefully they'll last a while. Should the rollers get some white lithium grease? I grease the regulator gears with WLG, but it doesn't appear the rollers were ever greased:

Had to make the roller stops so the rollers don't run out of the channels after the install. Used a 1/4-20 screw, had to cut short then tightened down a nut. Then ground each side to allow them to insert into the channel and used a nut on the other side. Had to make a number of them. A bit time consuming:

No idea how to install these windows. Lots of trial and error. Took a long time to get the first one installed. Last one took about 10 minutes. I think the stress of breaking the glass had passed:

Now to figure out the regulators. The rollers are installed in the channels and then the window box cover is set and the regulator is bolted to the cover so that the windows may be cranked.

The interior trim has to be installed, but I noticed a bit of a gap between the window weather stripping and the body in one area. I used a shower rod to push into place as I installed the trim:

All installed. Windows are really tight, but I guess that's good. Maybe they'll loosen up as they seat over time?

After I blasted all of the panels, primed, and installed, I just couldn't take the poor condition of the left rear panel. It had a ton of gouges in the metal and was pretty rugged looking. I pulled out another one and blasted it. Noticed that the seat bracket mount location was cracked in three locations, so had to fix that before I primed:

Some trim going in. Since I had to replace all of the wood, I didn't have the original holes to go by, so I have to drill all new ones along the way. Slow going:

Most of the trim aligned. Lots of massaging to get everything to fit, but wanted to go through the process before getting the panels painted:

A little hot for paint..over 100 degrees, but found some bugless shade and painted up the window panels so they could bake in the sun for a few hours:

I think there is a trick to installing the windows, but never really figured it out. I also feel like I did a few hundred sit ups as my stomach muscles are super sore today from threading and tugging on the weather stripping during the install.

Felt good to get the windows in. Finally a real sense of accomplishment. Yee haw!!
Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:40 am

The elephant is getting smaller.Looking good. :D

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:52 am

chibobber wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:40 am
The elephant is getting smaller.Looking good. :D
It is!

Have like four more major project categories to complete now. Front doors, rear doors, wood floor, and seats....after I button up the interior panels.

All just a bit time consuming other than the seats. I'll have to figure out what to do there. Only thing I don't do myself yet are the engines and the seats. Now if I had more time on my hands, I may do those eventually. Have rebuilt small block Chevy engines years ago, so have a little experience. I can sew a little as my wife refuses to do any sewing, so always have had to repair my own things that needed it. However, never have used a sewing machine...
Zeph

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:07 pm

Hey Zeph, this Carry-all of yours is coming together nicely. I can tell you from experience of being a Glazier by trade for most of my life, that glass run channel will loosen up over time as the windows are rolled up and down. When I repaired the window assemblies in my 1st. Chevy, it was like that. Really tight rolling the window up and down. They finally started getting easier after about 4 years. The mohair used is really stout material and is that way to keep water intrusion to an absolute minimum.
You'll be glad that they are tight for a while. Have you ever been driving down the road and hear some faint and annoying whistle in the rear corner of your car. You get to thinking, where is that dang whistle coming from and how do I STOP IT :evil: !!?? Well, not gonna happen with your Carry-all. :)
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:12 am

D.R.H. wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:07 pm
Hey Zeph, this Carry-all of yours is coming together nicely. I can tell you from experience of being a Glazier by trade for most of my life, that glass run channel will loosen up over time as the windows are rolled up and down. When I repaired the window assemblies in my 1st. Chevy, it was like that. Really tight rolling the window up and down. They finally started getting easier after about 4 years. The mohair used is really stout material and is that way to keep water intrusion to an absolute minimum.
You'll be glad that they are tight for a while. Have you ever been driving down the road and hear some faint and annoying whistle in the rear corner of your car. You get to thinking, where is that dang whistle coming from and how do I STOP IT :evil: !!?? Well, not gonna happen with your Carry-all. :)
Thank you. I was figuring/hoping that tighter was better starting out. I was worried about the window channels not sealing to the outside body as there were gaps there, but using the shower rod to press them outward whilst installing the trim did help seal those gaps. I hope the whistling is kept to a minimum. Of course, in my other vehicles the transmission usually drones out most noises. :shock:
Zeph

Dozerman51

Post by Dozerman51 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Premier work there Zeph. My cousin and I were up there this past Thursday to do some work on his property. Finished the work yesterday. Were planning on staying until Sunday morning, but today was going to be like 106 up there. We decided to cut our losses and came home today. I left there at 8:45 and was at my door in San Carlos at 12:10. With the COVID-19 around, the freeways are a breeze to drive. Even here in the Bay Area it’s like it was 40-50 years ago. Stay cool up there and I love following your progress.
Joe

zepher11
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:21 pm

Dozerman51 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:03 pm
Premier work there Zeph. My cousin and I were up there this past Thursday to do some work on his property. Finished the work yesterday. Were planning on staying until Sunday morning, but today was going to be like 106 up there. We decided to cut our losses and came home today. I left there at 8:45 and was at my door in San Carlos at 12:10. With the COVID-19 around, the freeways are a breeze to drive. Even here in the Bay Area it’s like it was 40-50 years ago. Stay cool up there and I love following your progress.
Joe
Hi Joe,

Oh, too bad you couldn't stop by for a visit. It was a little warm today. I got out in the shop at 7am and finished up around 6pm. I leaked quite a bit, but think it was only 106 outside and a little cooler in the shop at 105 degrees. 8) Not too bad. Worked all day out there when it was 112 the other day. I guess one just gets acclimated to it somewhat.

last evening I started placing the trim on the windows. Have to drill all the holes for the trim in the wood, so it's somewhat of a slow roll. Here are some shots from last evening getting the trim located:

Had to pay attention to the alignment of the upper trim as it forms a channel between the wood and the metal trim for the upper Masonite trim piece. Happy to have discovered that piece was needed before I got too deep into installing everything. One can see the channel here:

Then as I was placing the last screw on the last piece of window trim to finish the entire window project...the left rear window cracked. Not sure why. I really have a hard time relating how much of a buzz kill that was. I think if I had a hammer in my hand I probably would have heaved it thorough the window. Well, maybe not, but probably woulda felt good to do so.

I had just glued in the window channels last night. Destroyed the channel on the removal, so will have to secure another one. Will take in the window for a new piece this week. I did remember to get the rear door glass out as well. Forgot that last time I went to the window shop. This is what all the trim looked like before I had to yank the rear window out for replacement:

Seems like an endless supply of all kinds of screws, washers, and nuts on the interior pieces. Lots of blasting and painting of those components:

At least I had the trim in place to attempt to make a template and cut the Masonite upper trim pieces for each side to finish off the interior:

Cut the Masonite interior sections from the template:

Then had to locate the holes on the three roof ribs for the Masonite. Must be something between the ribs and Masonite as there is a gap of about 1/2 to 3/4"'s between the two which is kinda weird. Anyway, was able to locate them fairly decently:

Now I will need to paint the Masonite OD and wait for the window glass to get cut. May be a few weeks before they can get to that. Not looking forward to the reinstall of the window.
Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”