Horn Button Replacement

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
Eric Szalanda
G-Private
G-Private

Horn Button Replacement

Post by Eric Szalanda » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:01 am

Hi,
I have a horn button replacement kit and I cannot figure out how it goes together. I think that I have sorted the button and springs, but for the life of me I can't see how the contact with the wire is situated. it slips through the larger bit with the cut outs to hold the button down and is larger than the nut.
Here is what I have. The lower contact has nothing to secure it.
A photo or drawing showing the correct set up would be marvellous.
20181011_172954.jpg
20181011_172954.jpg (174.03 KiB) Viewed 100 times

zoob
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Horn Button Replacement

Post by zoob » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:03 am

The TM should show you the information you need to know. The metal bracket with 3 lugs pointing upwards, goes in on top of the steering wheel, I think. Have you got the horn wire insulator? Most of the kits on the market are missing that most important part. Good luck.

ng19delta
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: Horn Button Replacement

Post by ng19delta » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:53 am

You need to disassemble the bottom plate, spring, and top plate(Looking at your pic, you have the hub side of the assembly showing- you press it down, and disengage the fingers of the lower plate from those of the upper, releasing the spring). When you assemble the wheel to the worm shaft (steering shaft), you put the wheel on first, then the bottom plate, which will fit over the worm shaft, then the wheel nut. Then place the spring and plate on, and feed the horn wire down through the worm tube. Smart money runs a piece of safety wire(mechanics wire) from the lower end through to the top, first, to attach to the wire, and use to pull it through. Then place the horn button into position, and push it down, while rotating the fingers back under the fingers of the lower plate, again compressing the spring.

Hope this helps...

Scott

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”