Dodge Flathead Engine from Westfield Massachusetts to Calif.

Driving one way empty? Need something moved? Coordinating the movement of rolling stock & parts among gee members.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Dodge Flathead Engine from Westfield Massachusetts to Calif.

Post by zepher11 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:13 pm

Looking for anyone that may be hauling from Mass to California. Pick up location is Westfield, Mass. Sacramento or Reno, NV would work for me to pick up.

Cargo is a Dodge WC flathead 6 cylinder engine on a pallet.

PM me if anyone happens to be able to assist.

Thank you!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Dodge Flathead Engine from Westfield Massachusetts to Calif.

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:11 pm

Fastenal.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:54 pm

dpcd67 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:11 pm
Fastenal.
I did mention Fastenal to the seller as I have used them to ship heavy items. He didn't seem too interested in moving it to Fastenal. We'll see how it goes. Not going to hold my breath that it happens.
Zeph

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:16 am

If he can't get it to them, maybe you can contact a local mover, or a guy with a truck, to take it to them. Our local Fastenal even provides the pallets and will strap it down for you, so all you have to do is get it there, which, fortunately for me, is only 2 miles away. They seem to charge by the pallet load and don't much care what is on it. And here at least, they don't weigh them, so I just guess and they take that.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:34 am

dpcd67 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:16 am
If he can't get it to them, maybe you can contact a local mover, or a guy with a truck, to take it to them. Our local Fastenal even provides the pallets and will strap it down for you, so all you have to do is get it there, which, fortunately for me, is only 2 miles away. They seem to charge by the pallet load and don't much care what is on it. And here at least, they don't weigh them, so I just guess and they take that.
Yes, I'll have to work on that. Hadn't thought about a local mover. Fastenal is pretty close here as well. Only about 20 miles, so pretty fortunate.
Zeph

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:13 am

Have you tried to get a price from Fastenal, they have told me numerous times that the trucks to CA are always filled so they cant take it that far. another issue, most engines have hoses, and wires hanging off the, dripping oil and antifreeze, Truck cleanup costs $250 if it leaks, and they may not take it anyway if it looks like it may leak, just look at their contract, they want oil pans off auto trannies, etc,

Try U ship, put all the info in there, on a skit, hoses hanging, etc, get a pic if possible, wait 2 or so weeks till the bidding starts on the skid, i would still expect 500 or so for that trip.

No friends in MA, who can crate it and drop it off say at Fed ex freight terminal?, like $800 though,

Adam

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:44 pm

Adam wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:13 am
Have you tried to get a price from Fastenal, they have told me numerous times that the trucks to CA are always filled so they cant take it that far. another issue, most engines have hoses, and wires hanging off the, dripping oil and antifreeze, Truck cleanup costs $250 if it leaks, and they may not take it anyway if it looks like it may leak, just look at their contract, they want oil pans off auto trannies, etc,

Try U ship, put all the info in there, on a skit, hoses hanging, etc, get a pic if possible, wait 2 or so weeks till the bidding starts on the skid, i would still expect 500 or so for that trip.

No friends in MA, who can crate it and drop it off say at Fed ex freight terminal?, like $800 though,

Adam
Thanks Adam,

I looked up the Fastenal in Westfield and it says it's permanently closed, so was trying to figure out the next closest location. Hadn't really thought about the engine leaking, but that could happen depending on how it's placed on the skid.

Everything I had read was that they can't get anyone to bring trucks back to California as everyone is leaving. Most of my friends have left for other states after they retire. Maybe that's just U-Haul trucks and trailers.

Thanks for the tips. Tough for me to work it out being on the receiving end. When I sell things to folks in other states, I work it out here and make it happen. This may just be a bridge too far to make it happen.

Cheers,
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:47 am

Well, the engine shipper was good to go to Fastenal. However, living in the sticks got me again. Fastenal declined to ship to California, or more specifically, our area of California. Thought it was too good to be true. I told the engine owner I'm out and sell it to someone else. I'll go with a different engine for my VC1. A T215 is close enough for a motor pool rebuild for the T202.

No longer searching for a shipper. Thank you.
Zeph

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 am

A friend told me that trucks can't go into Ca any more because they passed a law prohibiting tucks over 5 years old from entering the state. Pollution. Which is the reason all the containers are stuck at the ports.
I don't know if this is true, but it probably is.
As for Fastenal shipping engines; it is definitely no problem from here, and of course, they can't be dripping any liquids.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:07 am

dpcd67 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 am
A friend told me that trucks can't go into Ca any more because they passed a law prohibiting tucks over 5 years old from entering the state. Pollution. Which is the reason all the containers are stuck at the ports.
As for Fastenal shipping engines; it is definitely no problem from here, and of course, they can't be dripping any liquids.
Yeah, the trucking issue is true. They also hit all the owner operators, so they're out as well.

More and more when I try to order anything and have it shipped to CA it gets denied. Tried to order an identical shower head to replace the one I had for years. Denied. Used about .3 of a gallon a minute more than allowed in CA. Can't order jugs either. They think one's going to put fuel in it, so denied. About 5 out of ten times when I try to order online I get denied. Getting more frustrating.
Zeph

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by parker007 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:20 am

zepher11 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:07 am
dpcd67 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 am
Yeah, the trucking issue is true. They also hit all the owner operators, so they're out as well.

More and more when I try to order anything and have it shipped to CA it gets denied. Tried to order an identical shower head to replace the one I had for years. Denied. Used about .3 of a gallon a minute more than allowed in CA. Can't order jugs either. They think one's going to put fuel in it, so denied. About 5 out of ten times when I try to order online I get denied. Getting more frustrating.
Dont get me started on bullets'. guns, clips, lead!!! and crapy fuel

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:45 pm

All that sounds worse than I imagined.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:38 am

dpcd67 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:45 pm
All that sounds worse than I imagined.
Yeah, other than that, high prices, and all my friends moving away, it's a great place to live. lol
Zeph

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:59 am

Saw on the news last night that gas was $5.50-$6 a gallon. Here it is 2.77; the highest it's been in years.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:16 pm

dpcd67 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:59 am
Saw on the news last night that gas was $5.50-$6 a gallon. Here it is 2.77; the highest it's been in years.
Yep, 4 or 500 miles south of us in California it's that high. We're at about $4.29 for gas and $4.49 for diesel. The further one is away from the refineries the less fuel is. Never could figure out why, but it always has been that way here.
Zeph

Return to “Transportation”