26 ft uhaul truck rental for two jeeps??

Driving one way empty? Need something moved? Coordinating the movement of rolling stock & parts among gee members.
jkillelea
G-Captain
G-Captain

26 ft uhaul truck rental for two jeeps??

Post by jkillelea » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:42 am

Hi,
Has anybody rented a uhaul 26 ft cargo truck to transport two jeeps? I'm thinking of doing that and wondering if it's legal? Safe? Big enough? Thanks.
John

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: 26 ft uhaul truck rental for two jeeps??

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:05 am

I rented a 26 foot budget truck and put a WC63 in it and drove it from Washington state to Iowa; worked well.
Legal? Whose laws are you concerned with? The weight limit on those is 10000 pounds. The WC63 weighs a lot more than two jeeps. And two jeeps are half the limit. Have to block them well though. Not sure the rental place will approve of it; I didn't tell them.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

jkillelea
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by jkillelea » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:28 am

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up on the truck. Sounds like a good plan to me.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 am

Used a roll back to lift then drive a Gama Goat into a Penske box truck one time, chained it Pintle to truck bumper out back, dropped 4x4's on the sides to squeeze fit it, crawled over the very narrow top to get out, then dropped the truck door down and tied it off above the chain and drove merely along.
Had to use two sheets of plywood to keep from scraping (and scrapping) doors as I backed out, as the Goat steers front and rear wheels and gets squirrel if you even try to move the wheel, had an inch on either side.
Trip across two States to Ga and back with Hotel was about $650 from memory.
Trucks are nice, but trailers are cheaper for upkeep/ taxes and no one borrows just a trailer unless they have a means to haul it usually.
W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:00 am

Yeah, the door was about 5 feet high, but they had a dirt bank we backed up against and here, we used a forklift to un load. Think about every detail of the logistics of it.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 am

My last comment, the side runners (wooden rails) in Trucks are not rated for much "pull" force, they are intended to keep cargo from scraping against the wall and will never hold a jeep if the brakes were slammed on hard or someone hit something in the front of the truck stopping it (Accident for sure) bottom line the jeeps will fly forward destroying them and the cargo bay unless tied down (the Goat we tied to the bumper frame out back for example)
Have to think worst case if you have to slam on brakes for that Honda that just cut in front of you and now turns right without advanced notice causing you to sports car drive a truck, what happens to the load?
Not trying to scare you off from a truck, but a trailer offers multiple places to tie things down and keep them from moving that a box truck does not offer (nor does a typical white box, enclosed trailer for that matter where those little "D" ring tiedowns are employed through the floor bed)
Good luck with your choice.
W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:39 am

There must be a reason why a truck and not a trailer. No tow vehicle? The cost of a truck, one way, is pricey as mileage is charged. On trailers, it is a per day with maybe a drop off charge, but no mileage.
We tow two jeeps on our 26ft dovetail open trailer with our F250 and have covered the lower 48 with no issues. I am not a lawyer, my parents had higher ambitions, but, God forbid, you hit something or something hits you and Uhaul or DOT discovers you had a motor vehicle inside one of their trucks, and it's all over for you. No insurance will cover you violating the user agreement and rental restriction.
Go to Uhauls web site and read what you can and cannot do and then decide if the reward is worth the risk.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Simple; I did not have a complete motor vehicle: I had 50 boxes full of parts, and a frame. Trust me, the most efficient and cost effective way for me was to rent the truck. That stripped frame couldn't move as it was hemmed in by 3 tons of boxed parts on all sides. What is the difference in boxes of parts and boxes of dishes, weighing within the approved limits?
Note; do not do what I do in this, or any other thread, that I post. I recommend everyone sit on their couch and watch TV; you will be safe then. Probably.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “Transportation”