How are freight rates figured among the G members

Driving one way empty? Need something moved? Coordinating the movement of rolling stock & parts among gee members.
17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

How are freight rates figured among the G members

Post by 17thAirborne » Thu May 31, 2018 2:33 pm

I see a lot of guys advertising empty trailers from pt a to b. is there a commonly accepted rate for hauling? i know size and weight are part of the calculation, but what would be reasonable for say a jeep by mile.

i just wanted the range that seems fair for both parties for a light vehicle for example.

thanks
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: How are freight rates figured among the G members

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:24 am

I don't think you'll find a magic formula. Back when I was doing west coast shows a couple of times per year, if I was pulling an enclosed trailer, I might look for a jeep or other smalls to move for people. I generally knew what my usual costs were, then figure in the extra time and extra fuel for adding the load. Back then, I was closer to friends in the trucking industry and had a good feel of cost per mile to have this done. Once I figured in the hassle factor (I am very punctual but people are never on time and never where they are supposed to be when I tell them when I'll be there. I hate burning time; thus hassle factor), add in the extra fuel, extra stop times, extra mileage; then relate it to a real time commercial rate, I'd get somewhere between my costs and a commercial rate. The difference between having a jeep guy (like me) and a commercial hauler, is that your vehicle was my only loaded item, in an enclosed trailer, and wouldn't be moved or handled until it was dropped at your destination. If I had something to haul each way, I'd massage my rate and give both guys a break. My criteria was to help offset my normal costs and get the extra time compensated. There were a few trips where I didn't need to pull a trailer, but was contacted by someone who knew I was making a trip and needed something hauled. This would be my most expensive rate as I had to figure out the extra expenses of adding a trailer into the mix.

A few trips I remember: I once hauled a jeep from mid Colorado to NW Kentucky for $500. The new owner was quite happy with that. Alternately, i hauled an MB engine from California to (I think) north central KY for $200. This detour cost me an extra night's lodging and added a couple hundred miles. From my perspective, I did the guy a favor. I got the impression that he wasn't too happy about it.

In answer to your question, I think I was generally around .50 cents per mile for a jeep for a relatively long trip. Short trips, with more hassle time and more route deviations would be more per mile. Small stuff is so cheap to move commercially, that it's tough to put a reasonable price on it.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:39 am

David,
Thank you much for the advice and information. I have a few trips to make from NM to TN next month and was hoping to offer the empty return trailer to move a few things to help defray the cost and provide some cheaper help to MV owners.
Oz

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:06 am

Anything that helps defray your fuel costs is a bonus if you're making the trip anyway, as long as the extra time and mileage is covered.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:18 am

Great. I hope I can help a few folks on my trips back from TN soon.
Oz

Blitzdough
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Blitzdough » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:59 pm

How did you handle it in regards to insurance? My insurance won't cover a vehicle I don't own (maybe that's not the norm?).

Return to “Transportation”