Trouble removing Ferret rear vision flap hinge pins

Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture
raeross
G-Civilian
Trouble removing Ferret rear vision flap hinge pins

Post by raeross » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:59 pm

I an trying to remove the rear vision flaps on my 1954 Daimler Ferret Mk1, so I can get into the nooks and crannies and clean and paint the inside.

I have three of the four pins out; however I am having trouble freeing up the upper outside pin. I have tried WD-40, and tapping it with a hammer; however, it doe not seem to want to budge.

I want to see if anyone happens to know a trick to removing this that I may not know about before I try the rougher methods of; heat the hinge with a torch, or grinding the ends off and driving it out. I would rather not have to track down, or make, a replacement.
Attachments
IMG_6751 (2b).JPG
IMG_6751 (2b).JPG (57.73 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
Robin Ross
Westchester, IL, USA

1954 Daimler Ferret Mk1 - 54-82565

Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Trouble removing Ferret rear vision flap hinge pins

Post by Buggy Man » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 pm

I wasn't able to remove mine either (if memory serves) so I had the machine shop that sand blasted my Mk.1/2's hull do it. As I recall, they said it was a bear. I think they used heat (torch) and a big hammer & punch....

Matt

teletech
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Re: Trouble removing Ferret rear vision flap hinge pins

Post by teletech » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:09 am

Argh, happens sometimes. I've got a pin on one of my front hatch hold-downs giving me trouble.
If you don't want to have to marinade it in AeroKroil for months, I think heat is your best bet. I wonder how much you can apply and not disturb the temper of the armor, not that I suppose you expect to be taking fire. :-)
I'll just put it out there the old paint had a lot of lead and zinc in it, so do work in an area with good ventilation and wear a respirator, etc. That stuff gets nasty when vaporized!
Also, watch that pounding. It's possible to distort the hinge so it will be even harder to remove (and install later).
The safest bet if you decide you are willing to sacrifice the pin would be to get in there with a drill bit on a rt-angle die-grinder and drill out the center at least.

Return to “Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture”