ATF approval for soft skinned MV importation

Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture
Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

ATF approval for soft skinned MV importation

Post by Buggy Man » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Guys
Wasn't sure where to post this question on this sight so I thought I'd start here. mods if there's a better place please feel free to move it.

First let me clarify that I'm aware of US motor vehicle import regs what I'm not certain of is is a BATFE form 6 (permission to import an implement of war) needed to import an X-MOD Land rover? They're not armored nor do they (usually) have any weapons mounts (not talking personal weapons racks) . Other than the paint job I can't think of too much that would separate them from their civilian counterparts.

Matt

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: ATF approval for soft skinned MV importation

Post by W. Winget » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:14 am

I would just call it what it was, a Land Rover. If it doesn't have weapons it's not an ATF issue, emissions and DOT are your evil roadblocks (a shipping broker is where I would start) when I imported a gray market car in the 80's the only limitations were to bring it to US spec (bumpers, rollover fuel shutoff, proper rear and front lights/marker colors, a MPH vs KM speedo and door reinforcement. You could bring in one car a year not meeting emissions or being gray market as an individual.
Start with a shipping broker they know the ins and outs.

OH, and never call it a "Former Military Vehicle" It's just a Land Rover....You start calling it a FMV, then the knuckleheads do like they just did in Virginia passing legislation to HELP us all..... saying you can't drive it daily, no state inspection, it becomes basically an antique car limitation here. So do-good legislation turned to crap.
Ford sold Ranger pickup trucks to the US Govt for TMP motorpools in the 80's, when they came out of DRMO, they were just Ford Pickup Trucks, not tactical vehicles...they just ran around post picking up toilet paper, supplies, etc, VS. a M151 (Tactical Vehicle) doing that. This crap legislation would have them labeled as FMV, limiting their use...pointless restrictive legislation.
Land Rover may have had a contract to sell XX number of trucks to the UK in a certain color and with deletion of radios and comforts, but it's still a Land Rover (at least until it's home with you...)
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: ATF approval for soft skinned MV importation

Post by Buggy Man » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I have no plans to call it a Military anything. Always did the face palm w/ groan thing whenever someone would post "The DMV rejected my application to title my armored car/halftrack/AFV" because they put down that it was an "armored vehicle" of some sort. I always tell people don't lie but also don't be so free with the information either. As for importing something like a vehicle I've been told that it is a good idea to use a broker/importer as they know the rules/ropes of how it's done.
Matt

Return to “Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture”