Question on price

1941 - 1945, Willys MB & Ford GPW jeeps, NO EBAY, Craigslist or COMMERCIAL SALES.
jedburgh1944
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Question on price

Post by jedburgh1944 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:33 pm

Good evening, I am newish to the forum and to the military vehicle collecting community. I have been reading over this forum and other resources recommended by members for months, and have recently found a 45 GPW for sale locally. I am interested in purchasing it, but I need a sanity check on the price. Buyer has it listed for north of 16k. Jeep has not been restored. Engine runs but needs a carburetor rebuild to stay running. No sounds of knocking. Vehicle needs brakes, probably wheel cylinders and master cylinder, possibly lines. Jeep has serial number present on the engine but not on the frame, at least he couldn't find one when he cleaned the frame up. Possible that it isn't matching. Jeep has some decent rust on the hat channels, it is not through the floor, and has rust on other parts on the frame. The good part is that the engine has been repainted, new fuel parts installed, the body shows no rust that I can see. There are new (repro) seat pads, top, some rubber seals have been replaced. The vehicle has all 5 combat rims, new data plates and overall had a good appearance. With the work that I would have to put into this, is the seller too high on the price? Should I steer clear due to the hat channel rust? Thanks for any and all advice!

Cal.Bar
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Question on price

Post by Cal.Bar » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:08 pm

Well, it may depend on where you are in the country. Jeeps in CA tend to bring more than jeeps in IN or KS for example. But... based SOLELY on observations of the recent Mb market (as you posted no pics), you can buy a FULLY restored MB for 20-25K. (sure not MVCC first prize material, but fully functional and drivable) So... for $16K you seem to be buying quite a bit of work. Irrespective of the channels, if it has not been rebuilt then in addition to all the work you mentioned, you can be almost sure it needs to have the transmission rebuilt and the clutch rebuilt as well. And that is assuming that nothing more than the carb needs to be done on the engine.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:08 am

Well, without pics...

is it a ww2 mb engine in her?
and a ww2 tranny and axles.
title matches what? does it have a title?
how many original ww2 parts on her?
repainted engine--- while in vehicle with rattle can?, not original anymore, drop a few grand right off the bat

carb rebuild or low engine compression and it needs a rebuild.
for sure it needs all new brakes and lines and maybe drums, and every other piece of rubber on her.
body full of bondo? skimmed with tin? look close

you might need to put 10K into her, and still have an unrestored jeep. although original unrestored jeeps are at a premium is it really a original unrestored jeep. right now price is high from what you say and what info there is.

lipstick on a pig maybe, looks good for a quick flip?????? you need to do more research and get good pictures. Its your money, you need to be happy with her. As a buyer, count on the worse case, until you can prove each piece is correct and what you want.

Adam

051743GPW

Post by 051743GPW » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:16 am

When you start getting into that price range non restored it should be “matching”. That it should have the original engine, body, frame and data plates. Being there are new data plates, that’s a red flag. Where is the serial number on the engine? Where did you look for a serial number on the frame? Does owner have the original data plates. I can’t see your location, maybe a member could look at it with you?
WANTED GPW A Intake Manifold
WANTED block close to GPW 113262 5/43 with 6015 casting
WTT MB 247392 block 120342 , crank, caps, rods.
1943 GPW 113262 051743 USMC see restoration here!

Mitch Olson
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mitch Olson » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:06 am

The rust in the hat channels is pretty common.

I would like to know if it has a GPW frame or a Willy's frame. Was the repainted motor painted the correct color and is the engine stamped as a GPW? What is the Data Plate number. Is the wiring "original' or has it been rewired with the correct wires? Is it 6v or 12 volt system. Are all the gauges correct and working? End of the day for me this seems to be priced a bit high, given all the stuff we don't know.

Mitch
'Jeepless' In Kalifornia

I am not a Complete Idiot, I am just like a jeep...some parts are missing!

jedburgh1944
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by jedburgh1944 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks for all the useful information on the post. Sorry for my late reply. I believe the seller might be a member, but I am not sure. The vehicle is in PA. There is no title. I am unsure what the title would match to. The other questions asked I will need to go back to the seller with. Is anyone in the WV/MD/PA area that would be willing to come take a look with me? I would very much value an outside opinion.

Andrew

jedburgh1944
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by jedburgh1944 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:14 pm

Mitch Olson wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:06 am
The rust in the hat channels is pretty common.

I would like to know if it has a GPW frame or a Willy's frame. Was the repainted motor painted the correct color and is the engine stamped as a GPW? What is the Data Plate number. Is the wiring "original' or has it been rewired with the correct wires? Is it 6v or 12 volt system. Are all the gauges correct and working? End of the day for me this seems to be priced a bit high, given all the stuff we don't know.

Mitch
Engine was stamped as a GPW, data plates are repro, wiring appears to be original, still 6v. Gauges are correct, fuel gauge doesn't work.

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:18 pm

I would want to know if the tranny and transfer case work well and don't howl as you drive down the road. Also make sure it doesn't pop out of second gear when you are driving and good speed in second and then take your foot off the gas.

Return to “Willys MB & Ford GPW, For Sale Section”