Decontaminator and lead seals (unfinished project)

1941 - 1945, Willys MB & Ford GPW jeeps, NO EBAY, Craigslist or COMMERCIAL SALES.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Decontaminator and lead seals (unfinished project)

Post by JAB » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:48 am

I'm sorting through my stuff and realized that I had a decontaminator set aside for my script GPW (that wouldn't have had one), so it's for sale. I think I bought it here from AZJeff many years ago, or maybe that one went on my late MB and this is the one I did on my own with a decal/sticker from his source. Sorry, I don't recall. I'm asking $150 plus shipping for the decontaminator, the (possibly wrong style) crusty bracket with the rusted off arm, and the section of rusty floor from an ACM type II tub containing the original screws, lead sealing washers, flat washers, lock washers, and nuts. The heads of the screws are worn flat but the other hardware should be good if you can get it apart (hint, if you use heat or grind the screw heads off too aggressively, the lead washers will melt). It will not fit in a Flat Rate box, so it will have to go parcel post or whatever they call the cheapest shipping. Assuming you don't want the section of floor I can try grinding off the screw heads at your risk to try to salvage the other parts or just cut around each pair of screws. I left the floor intact to help as a "template" in case I had to drill the holes in a repaired floor.
IMG_1313.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1315.jpg
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

1942 Ford GPW 352nd
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Decontaminator and lead seals (unfinished project)

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:18 am

Hello Jeff,
Sent pm.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:18 am

For those asking about the dimensions based on my section of floor I thought I'd post the drawing here for all to see, but I can't see the numbers so I'll augment it with my measurements; https://www.thehenryford.org/collection ... =gs-377287

Since most people will be measuring and drilling from the top/inside of the floor, my measurements will be from the inside wall and the face of the riser looking down on the floor from above.
IMG_1319.jpg
The label seems to be a painted (silk screen?) brass tag. I assume it's glued to the body, but don't know. If I got this from AZJeff (I think I did) maybe he can comment.
IMG_1318.jpg
IMG_1317.jpg
Oh, and for more info on how these were used check out FM 17-59 Armored Force Field Manual Decontamination of Armored Force Vehicles with a nice picture on page 9; https://archive.org/details/FM17-59-nsi ... pper=false
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:33 am

Hello Jeff,
Sent PM.

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:19 am

Hello Jeff (et al)!

That M-2 didn't come from me. I know this because (1) I never used anything but the Bizal (Midwest Military) replica decal-type tags on mine and (2) the body is a Fyr-Fyter "2101", not the "383" I would use (as seen on the T handle).

The bracket is very correct. You can get a strap off of the quality replica GPW FE brackets (as I recall). Otherwise, finding a donor strap in the unique Fyr-Fyter style can be a challenge.

Jeff Q.
AZ

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:31 am

Thank you Jeff!!!

So the 2101 body style means that this was a fire extinguisher style only? While the 383 style would have been used for both applications? So I have an M2 wanna be? What are the noticable differences? Other than the 2101 vs. 383 I don't know what to look for.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=206798&p=1925540&h ... r#p1925540

Another mention by Jeff Q. concerning the 383, but I still don't fully understand. Is that the designation for the pump assembly for the vesiccant vs. 2101 is for the carbon tet? viewtopic.php?f=48&t=269876&hilit=fyr+f ... ntaminator

By the end of the day this thread is going to be the go-to thread for F-F M2's!

I was asked to show a comparison with the common type of fire extinguisher and show the length. The decontaminator is about 18" long overall vs. the approximate 12" of the fire extinguishers. The pictured fire extinguishers are for sale, but I don't think they're "correct" for the WWII jeeps.
IMG_1321.jpg
Last edited by JAB on Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:34 pm

Hi Jeff,

The Fyr-Fyter "383" model is correct for WW2. It was used on 1.5 QT extinguishers and M-2 decontaminators. Ideally you want a 383 marked handle with a body that has the Centaur graphic stamped on the discharge end. Obviously, you don't see the Centaur when it's installed (or the 2101/383 marking for that matter...) so those details are for the purist. The 383 T-handle was also used on the smaller civilian 1 QT FEs.

the 2101 models are later extinguishers (only) and typically came with the "C", non locking, retention (instead on the thin strap) and a flat steel body on the mounting bracket.

Jeff Q.
AZ

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:56 pm

Thanks again Jeff! I'll take a look at my pile of fire extinguishers and see if I have a F-F with a 383 handle. Otherwise I guess the best thing to do is lower the price to a non-purist level. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge!

Price reduced to $100 for a nice looking "wanna be" decontaminator that I cannot remember where I bought, mounting bracket that needs a new strap, and the mounting hardware and rusty sheet metal mentioned above, plus shipping.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:02 am

Sent PM.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:43 am

The decontaminator has sold but the bracket and hardware is still available.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “Willys MB & Ford GPW, For Sale Section”