For Sale: Canvas Covered Rifle Holder

1941 - 1945, Willys MB & Ford GPW jeeps, NO EBAY, Craigslist or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Dave A.
Lt Col, USAF
For Sale: Canvas Covered Rifle Holder

Post by Dave A. » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:56 am

Here is a canvas covered weapon holder that I believe goes on jeeps. It is in very good condition, fabric is strong, zipper works fine with no problems and there is only a little rust on the inside of the metal holder. Located in Dayton, OH and asking $300.00 and shipping.

Dave A.
Attachments
IMG_2120.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2118.JPG

dog.farrar
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: For Sale: Canvas Covered Rifle Holder

Post by dog.farrar » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:13 pm

Dave,
Just seeing this post. Do you still have this item?
Mark

Dave A.
Lt Col, USAF

Post by Dave A. » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:49 pm

Mark, sent you an email.

Dave A.

Ladislav
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Ladislav » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:20 am

Was this canvas covered holder used on wwii jeep? I have the same on my 1945 MB but not sure if correct.
Lad.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:47 am

While waiting for an expert response.
The covers were important to keep the weapon out of the weather, so they were issued with canvas...then the logical thought of 'I'm in combat' meant stripping the cover off for quicker access. That and jamming zippers and rotting canvas....
So not all later mounts had canvas 'issued' with the mount as they realized the drawbacks of covering the weapon.
But if you can keep it preserved, it's a fine addition to an 'outside of theater' display.
IMHO, so now let the facts flow.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:03 am

W. Winget wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:47 am
While waiting for an expert response.
The covers were important to keep the weapon out of the weather, so they were issued with canvas...then the logical thought of 'I'm in combat' meant stripping the cover off for quicker access. That and jamming zippers and rotting canvas....
So not all later mounts had canvas 'issued' with the mount as they realized the drawbacks of covering the weapon.
But if you can keep it preserved, it's a fine addition to an 'outside of theater' display.
IMHO, so now let the facts flow.
V/R W. Winget
I agree with what you say, and though I am not an expert, I do think adding a cover is a good thing. It allows one to have the very discussion you mention about practicality, maintenance and field conditions. What seems like a good thing designed by an engineer in a factory condition usually does not "weather" the conditions of the field. Soldiers always seek the lowest common denominator: what works, what is easiest, what saves time, what saves lives. The generals on the other hand like what looks best. However, sometimes lazy soldiers dont do that thing which saves their lives in combat, so the Sergeant has to kick them in the ass and make them use thier gear properly and maintain it.

Back to the sale, I'd buy one, install it on my GPW and then have this 15 minute discussion when its on display.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
May 42 GPW 23874 USA 20104502
Apr 42 GPW 14518 USA 2069296
Converto Dump Trailer 0885566
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 am

Sergeant has to kick them in the ass and make them use thier gear properly...
Sir, as a former SNCO, I must advise you that your choice of spelling of "thier" is incorrect. Furthermore, sir, before you address the men again on what is considered an appropriate use of a combat item, may I ask that you allow me to participate in the discussion? That allows me to support your ideas, and it also provides me with a spell-checker app for you. Thanks again, sir.

Oz- these guys on here know that you were a former 'O', correct? A true warrior Officer, but an Officer, nonetheless. :wink:

- :lol: :lol: :lol:

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:05 am

USAFpj wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 am
Sergeant has to kick them in the ass and make them use thier gear properly...
Sir, as a former SNCO, I must advise you that your choice of spelling of "thier" is incorrect. Furthermore, sir, before you address the men again on what is considered an appropriate use of a combat item, may I ask that you allow me to participate in the discussion? That allows me to support your ideas, and it also provides me with a spell-checker app for you. Thanks again, sir.

Oz- these guys on here know that you were a former 'O', correct? A true warrior Officer, but an Officer, nonetheless. :wink:

- :lol: :lol: :lol:
Isn't it "i" before "e" except after "c", you know, the thing, the thing! Hawg drivers were never known for "their" linguistic talents, other than knowing all of the derivatives of the word "f@$k, used in many combinations with different meanings.

I hope you can see the respect I have in my comment for the critical role of our NCOs and the, at times, debilitative effect that Os can have on daily operations and morale.

I stand corrected Chief! :lol:

Now lets get on here and buy this thing!
Oz

Ron D
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ron D » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:49 pm

I bet no soldier driving a jeep by himself anywhere near the enemy ever stowed his weapon in that mount, canvas bag or no canvas bag. Ever seen any combat photos of it being used? Way too hard to bring a weapon to bear when need be. And jeep not fast enough to outrun bullets, so immediate action when shooting starts is to un-a$$ the jeep pdq and seek cover. No time to fumble with that goofy mount. Sergeant agreed. :lol: "Where's your rifle, Private?"

They sure do look cool (I have one on my M38, mounted right side up incidentally), but have never been sure the proud price they bring is worth the conversation starts.... :o
Ron D
1952 M38
1951 M100

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 pm

I will say they were used in Theater, and the point was the jeep is assigned a driver, responsible for the jeeps operation and upkeep. As such, he had to place his weapon somewhere secure to drive without it flopping around. It started with the leather horse holster for the M1903, and progressed to leather holster for M1 (modified the old holsters)
There are photos out there.
I'm just pointing out that the cover being secured over it was likely not done once within shelling range.
Halftrack had a few rows of 5 or 6 of them side by side (vertical) My Command Car had one in the front floor to dash, blocking the map board under the glove box, talk about a pain to get around ad enter the vehicle.
They were used.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Thunderbird712
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Thunderbird712 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:01 pm

These were factory installed on MBs starting in late December 44. Not sure about GPWs though. Now what happened to them in field is anyone’s guess!
TJ Zackman
1945 Willys MB, 430923, 3/28/45
Scored 98.375% at 2019 MVPA Convention York, PA

1953 M38A1, 69248, 12/53, 20999713
MVPA# 37298

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:19 am

Oz- I have a canvas-covered one for my WC52 as well. In great condition, and not only do you get a constant smell of that canvas, but the zipper works well with just a swipe up and down with ZIPR-Ease or a simple wax candle. A lot of guys have both the metal and leather scabbard, but not a lot of canvas-covered ones out there...

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:08 am

USAFpj wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:19 am
Oz- I have a canvas-covered one for my WC52 as well. In great condition, and not only do you get a constant smell of that canvas, but the zipper works well with just a swipe up and down with ZIPR-Ease or a simple wax candle. A lot of guys have both the metal and leather scabbard, but not a lot of canvas-covered ones out there...
I have both the cover and the rack and plan on installing them on my first resotration. They add another dimension to the sterile Jeep that has been restored. Nice to have some gear installed rather than a picture perfect restoration. Just my opinion.

It looks like we have hijacked the sale thread, but at least the seller does not have to bump it every three days! 8)
Oz

Dave A.
Lt Col, USAF

Post by Dave A. » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:00 pm

No problem with a hijack...I've enjoyed reading the different comments.

Mark asked to buy the first one. Right afterwards, a second gentleman PM'ed and ask if it was still available. Just happened to have two of them so both are sold.

Dave A.

dog.farrar
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by dog.farrar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:40 am

Thank you Dave. This one is going into my WC51, and the one in the WC (without canvas) will go into my Jeep.
Mark

Return to “Willys MB & Ford GPW, For Sale Section”