Export Willys from USA

1941 - 1945, Willys MB & Ford GPW jeeps, NO EBAY, Craigslist or COMMERCIAL SALES.
harleys
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Export Willys from USA

Post by harleys » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:15 am

Hello my friends, I am the intention to import(to Spain) a Jeep Willys from USA but yesterday an american guy has told me
exporting Military Vehicles from the U.S. has becoming difficult. Even old WWII Jeeps are now being categorized as Military.
Is this true? Can anyone help me here??
Thanks

MATT
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Export Willys from USA

Post by MATT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:14 pm

(We are in the wrong forum.... This is for items for sale. This should be in technical questions.)

Not true, the process is super easy.... This guy does not know what he is talking about. The Covid-19 issue has slowed things down but that is worldwide.... Contact West Coast Shipping in Richmond, CA. They can get your jeep shipped.

Good luck,
Matt
1941 GP 9801
1941 BRC 2622
1941 MB 103761

Jpjedi
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Jpjedi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:25 pm

Ran into the same issue, For an MB without engine, 3 shipping companies indicated it needed an export license for ex military equipment even when it is in scrap condition and 75 years old. This BIS license costs around 600-800 usd depending on the shipping company. Not applying is a risk your shipment gets flagged.

One of the mails I received August 19th:

Unfortunately the BIS officer I communicated with came back with somewhat useless recommendation – that I should submit an official classification request via SNAP-R. Of course, I can do that, but it’s likely to take some time to receive response.

In the meantime, I spoke to my friend who shipped these vehicles before (on a license). She communicated with a more friendly / helpful BIS officer who disclosed to her that the information that this was previously a military vehicle is imbedded in the VIN, and once EEI is filed for the shipment, it’s likely to get flagged in Customs system as such. Even if authorities would ultimately decide that the vehicle doesn’t meet the threshold for license requirement due to its condition, the shipment would likely be stopped and moved to the CBP exam site until matter was resolved. As you can imagine, the costs would be staggering in such case.

I believe it’s better to play it safe and get appropriate approvals before attempting the shipment.

MATT
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by MATT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 pm

I exported to Europe three WW2 Jeeps last year and two this year with no issues what so ever.... You must have a clean title but that is true for any vehicle exported out of the US. If you are running into issued due to it being an ex-military vehicle then that exporter does not do it very often and is making it much harder than it needs to be.
1941 GP 9801
1941 BRC 2622
1941 MB 103761

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:38 pm

Embedded in the VIN??? That is complete nonsense, since VINs didn't even become standard until the 1980s, and every jeep made in the 40s-60s just have Serial Numbers; NOT VINS. How can a set of numbers have information embedded into them?
Now, they could be using the make and model and year to tell, but not the serial number alone.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Adam
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Adam » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:51 am

Contact your local antique or specialty auto importer over there and let them handle the importing. They know the rules and regulations and have contacts over here. I have dropped off a few vehicles at port terminals, first item you do need a good title and serial number plates that look like they belong on an old vehicle. Somebody will inspect it and if it looks tampered with or fake they will flag it. So new tags on a 70 year old barn find probably wont cut it unless you have dmv paperwork to prove new tags.

Another issue, they dont drive these vehicles,,, they lift them with a forklift from the side anyway, so lots of stuff under there will get crushed. Anybody ever watch them? maybe line the frame with 2x4's or something if you are the shipper or delivery guy??? Watched them try to lift a ford 9n that way, it almost went over.

Talked to a end user over there, admitted newer cars are different, but crushed fuel tanks and fuel and brake lines, bent exhaust and drive shafts, this could happen to your jeep with the wrong company.

Adam

Jpjedi
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Jpjedi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:10 am

dpcd67 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:38 pm
Embedded in the VIN??? That is complete nonsense, since VINs didn't even become standard until the 1980s, and every jeep made in the 40s-60s just have Serial Numbers; NOT VINS. How can a set of numbers have information embedded into them?
Now, they could be using the make and model and year to tell, but not the serial number alone.
Sorry, did not come up with it myself. I have car shipping companies saying the same thing.

I can only contribute my info, feel free to challenge but a ‘warned person counts for two‘ is a saying in Dutch. Meaning: better safe than sorry in this case.

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:02 am

I know you are right; I am just saying that a serial number (not a VIN as it is legally defined) composed of random numbers from 100000 to 500000 can't possibly have any hidden secret code embedded into them. How do they know if the number is from a CJ2A, Cj3B, M38, or MB? They re just numbers. Now, when combined with the model and year, that is what they are looking at.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “Willys MB & Ford GPW, For Sale Section”