16oz Ball Peen hammers

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
OldSchool12
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Re: 16oz Ball Peen hammers

Post by OldSchool12 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:08 pm

Hart,
Neither of these Heller hammers are NOS and their handles could have been replaced at any point. There are no markings on the handle base of either hammer. Look at the picture from above. Does yours look the same? Specifically the "S" shaped metal wedge.
oldschool

Hartofoak
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hartofoak » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Oldschool. Yes my Heller hammer has an "S" shaped wedge. The wedge and end are painted black and look to never have been replaced. Thanks for pointing this out. Looks like your hammer handles could be original to the hammer heads. Shame that they show no signs of the stamping at the other end of the handle. I had to look hard to see it on my example and you can imagine it could disappear with use/abuse.
MB 298781 DoD: est. 01-19-44 (ex British Army 1958)
T1 Trailer: "Transportation Equipment Co."
MVMTS toolboxes & tools

OldSchool12
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by OldSchool12 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:06 am

Interesting. Then perhaps a "S" shaped metal insert could be used to help identify original handled Heller hammers. Most other brands I come across are roughly rectangular when viewed from above. Does make me feel more confident that my handles are likely original to the head.
oldschool

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:56 am

Lucky enough to find a couple of 16oz hammers at the flea market this weekend.
Heller 1lb and Vlchek. Also picked up a Billings hammer thinking it was the 32oz, but when I cleaned it up, it was clearly marked 24oz... :x
-Jason

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:52 am

mudbox wrote:Lucky enough to find a couple of 16oz hammers at the flea market this weekend.
Heller 1lb and Vlchek.
Jason,
Can you post a better picture of the Heller hammer stamping? This brand had several different stampings. As you are probably aware, this is the same Hammer brand found in the Bizal kit. Also, does it have the "s" shaped wedge as posted above?
phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Re: 16oz Ball Peen HELLER

Post by mudbox » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:31 am

Unfortunately, no handle and hence, no wedge. :(
The logo identical to one posted by Luca on page 2 or 3 of this thread.
My example is not quite as nicely stamped.
-Jason

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:59 am

Jason,
Perhaps Luca will comment but given he is living the easy country life I will give you my thoughts. I like the stamping but as best I understand none of the hammer heads in repacks had the weight stamped on the head. I know this to be true for Fairmounts. I don't believe this indicates yours or Luca's are incorrect or that a Fairmount with 16oz stamped is either but it is something to consider. Certainly as has been discussed before repacks do not answer all questions and we will not reopen that can of worms here.
phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:41 pm

I was sent drawing AE-373 long ago but have never seen a hammer made to these specifications.

MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 am

Mark Tombleson wrote:I was sent drawing AE-373 long ago but have never seen a hammer made to these specifications.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Approved by: Chuck L.
Checked by: Luca
NOT for official use only!
:shock:

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
True Temper?

Post by mudbox » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:36 am

I found this True Temper hammer. No.1016 (16oz.) D13 stamping on the opposite face.
I don't see mention of True Temper here for hammers, but I see their name all over the place for axes and shovels.
Good for a 'motorpool' kit? :?:
-Jason

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:36 pm

I have purposefully shied away from hammers with a WEIGHT stamped on the head because the Willys drawing did not specify that it be included. I have a couple FAIRMONTs, a VLCHEK and a WILLIAMS and none are so marked with a WEIGHT.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Chuck, if you're referring to the Heller I posted 'up-thread', that seems most likely, right. Other examples (across the board) posted here seem to be without a marked weight.

The True Temper has the no.1016 which seems like both a part number and the weight. I just thought it was odd for a TrueTemper hammer to be absent from this thread. I would imagine that if TrueTemper supplied axes and shovels, they would have supplied hammers as well? :?: to the motorpool? :?
-Jason

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Jason,
For what it's worth there were not any true temper hammers in the repacks. Primarily because of that I have stayed away from them. Wingnutt may know exactly what they supplied from his contract data.
Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Referencing the spec in the drawing above; I had one that dimensionally matched the drawing perfectly, was stamped US on the head, & did have the fleamarket price on the bottom of the handle in pencil. It didn't conform to notes "A", "B", "C", or "D" though, but they may have been added later in the war. Do you think it's correct for my script GPW tool kit?
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:07 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:I have purposefully shied away from hammers with a WEIGHT stamped on the head because the Willys drawing did not specify that it be included. I have a couple FAIRMONTs, a VLCHEK and a WILLIAMS and none are so marked with a WEIGHT.
Chuck,
Your Williams has no marks or stampings on it other than Williams? Does it not have a HBP- of some sort on it indicating weight? Or a No. O on it? Wouldn't those indicate weight? I agree that I favor fairmounts without weights on them but those with weights do exist with the same fairmount font as those without.
Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”