is this an issue screwdriver?

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
199th MP
G-Major General
G-Major General

is this an issue screwdriver?

Post by 199th MP » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:36 am

i found this at a garage sale last week, and picked it up simply because i don't know if it's issue or not. i figured someone here might know. the glare makes it difficult to see, but it's about 11 inches long. there are several different tool kits, and i don't know hardly anything about them. the handle is wood on both sides, riveted through the tang. no name, number or markings.
Attachments
101_3230.JPG

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: is this an issue screwdriver?

Post by Rustman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:26 pm

Looks like the right type and size for the most common screwdriver in many of the kits. The 6" one. Until I had an example in my hands I was confused about the measurement. The 6" designation seems to be from the tip to where the shaft flares outward into the handle. Based on your ruler, I believe you have that size.

Take a dive into the Irwin screwdriver discussions. The ink stamped on the handle ones seem to where it's at for WW2. Obviously handle markings are easily lost. There's another maker I can't recall offhand but their logo looks like a triangle on the shaft near the blade, not much to it. But they seem desirable as well.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:12 pm

It looks like an 11” Irwin to me that started life with an Ink Marked handle. Any 11” Irwin with markings on the blade whether it be an FSN or simply Irwin is postwar.
-Don
Attachments
F46EF9A2-E5BC-4D7B-868E-8AFB57A6EA0E.jpeg
Irwin 11” screwdrivers
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:41 am

Rustman wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:26 pm
There's another maker I can't recall offhand but their logo looks like a triangle on the shaft near the blade...
It sounds like you may be thinking of Tobrin. The marking is not a logo, though, it's a 6 inside a triangle (/6\) indicating the shank length.
Rustman wrote:Take a dive into the Irwin screwdriver discussions.
And if he takes you up on this suggestion, he will also discover how we identified the correct forge markings to confirm wartime production hidden under the wooden scales. Since this necessitates removing and eventually replacing the pins, I recommend following the very sage interpretation that Don aptly reiterates. By process of elimination, if it meets the spec, exhibits the construction features of a vintage IRWIN, and lacks the markings that characterize their postwar production, it's a fairly safe choice with a good rationale.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:52 am

Wingnutt wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:41 am

It sounds like you may be thinking of Tobrin. The marking is not a logo, though, it's a 6 inside a triangle (/6\) indicating the shank length.
I was thank you. Also appreciate the clarification of what I thought was a logo.
Wingnutt wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:41 am
And if he takes you up on this suggestion, he will also discover how we identified the correct forge markings to confirm wartime production hidden under the wooden scales. Since this necessitates removing and eventually replacing the pins, I recommend following the very sage interpretation that Don aptly reiterates. By process of elimination, if it meets the spec, exhibits the construction features of a vintage IRWIN, and lacks the markings that characterize their postwar production, it's a fairly safe choice with a good rationale.

So in short, if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

199th MP
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 199th MP » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:44 am

thanks for the answers, guys. it seems, then, that this is an issue tool for WW2. as such, i am giving it to a friend who owns a WW2 jeep for his tool set.

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:24 am

Rustman wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:52 am
So in short, if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...
Exquackly!
199th MP wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:44 am
thanks for the answers, guys. it seems, then, that this is an issue tool for WW2. as such, i am giving it to a friend who owns a WW2 jeep for his tool set.
You're welcome and happy to be a small part of a nice gesture.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”