Mystery tool or use?

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Mystery tool or use?

Post by Steve Webb » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:30 pm

Do not think any military heritage but a lot of tool knowledge here and I don't even know how to put this in for a search even on google. This was my Grandfathers who was born in 1908 in Freeport Ohio, he moved to Massillon Ohio during WW2 and worked at Republic Steel. I have a bunch of his old tools and all but this I can't figure out. It is 7 1/2" long. top opening is 1" wide and about 1 1/4" long so little oval shaped. The lower opening is about 1/2" wide. The bottom shorter piece is a straight screwdriver and I thought longer piece might have had a point on it kinda like a demo toll but fairly certain is is not. It opens about 3/4" and is serrated inside openings and has had hard usage. I soaked in evaporust and wire brushed looking for any markings but none are showing up. Any ideas?

Leaning toward a tool maybe from the steel mill rather than on the farm.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Re: Mystery tool or use?

Post by Steve Webb » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:04 am

It appears to be a boiler or gas plier. Not quite like a lot I have found with the 2 grips above the pivot. Possibly made special for use in the steel mill. He worked there from 1941 or 42 until he had a heart attack at work around Christmas in 1969. I was only 13 so don't know what he did in the mill. Pexto has a place in Cleveland which is 55 miles from Massillon so maybe specially made there. I have a nice set of Pexto wood chisels that were his so who knows.

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:26 am

Lee, bringing it back to your Ohio roots, there is a locally published (Lisbon Ohio) Ag newspaper, with wide distribution, that carries a weekly column to ID unknown tools and stuff. Send in your pics with your comments to Hazard a Guess to editorial@farmanddairyDOTcom and you might get an educated answer. https://www.farmanddairy.com/category/c ... rd-a-guess
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:27 pm

I will do that need to clean it up a little better. I see Richmond is near Steubenville that was a big game with the Massillon Tigers for High School.

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:40 am

I was born and raised in Steubenville (hometown of Dino Crocetti aka Dean Martin). Also the hometown of Lincoln's Secretary of War, Edwin Stanton. Edwin's statue, in front of the County Courthouse, used to play a prominent role in the annual Steubenville Big Red v Massillon Tigers HS football rivalry.
The right hand of the statue is positioned in such a way to allow many different types of items to be gripped by Mr. Stanton (maybe the sculptor had a wicked sense of humor). Back before everyone was so engrossed with electronic devices, and people actually got out, Edwin could be seen choking a large stuffed tiger by the neck on pretty much an annual basis during the week leading up to the game. As there were many liquor establishment across the street and in adjacent blocks, a good grip on a whiskey bottle was another of Edwin's poses.
EdwinStanton.png
David Pizzoferrato

HankII
G-Major
G-Major

Post by HankII » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:33 am

D Pizzoferrato » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:40 am

I was born and raised in Steubenville (hometown of Dino Crocetti aka Dean Martin).
Max.jpg

Maxwell Smart, early Smart Phone Pioneer, also claimed to be from Steubenville. Max (Don Adams) served in Pacific Theatre & nearly died of Malaria - Thankfully he pulled through.
Only 2 things in life make it worth livin'
Is old Jeeps tuned good & Firm Feelin women

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:18 am

I would have graduated in 1974 if we had stayed in Ohio. My parents graduated from Washington High School in 1952. Lot of good football history in that area. Massillon and Canton have played each other for 132 years.

After some more soaking in evaporust it was painted red at some point. I retipped the screwdriver slot and the other end of handle had a little bit of bending in it. Maybe from handling and throwing into tool box or from prying out packing material. I will probably sand blast it and then send pictures to that site.

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:18 am

Lee, include that concise description above with the history of the tool and your grandfather.
David Pizzoferrato

GPW1263
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GPW1263 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:37 am

Any 'AFTER' photos of the piece? Don't want to hijack the thread but since you mentioned using Evaporust, I'd like to hear what others who have used Evaporust think about it especially as compared to the various acids out there.

Cheers,
GPW1263

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:10 am

I do have an after picture and can tell you from this and other pieces it is the best stuff I have ever used. You can leave stuff in as long as you want and if it doesn't seem to be clean enough just chunk it in again. It won't hurt wood either so things with handles can get cleaned and you don't have to worry about harm. It can swell wood but that is all. I bought a 5 gallon bucket from Northern Tool but I saw the other day Tractor Supply has 1 gallon size. You do have to keep it with lid on it will evaporate if you don't.

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:37 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:52 am

Here is a much cleaner tool. I soaked it a few more days for no reason in particular and then wire brushed on wheel. Much cleaner. Looks like a trademark or logo on one handle but possible just pitting and my imagination. I will sandblast it and then done.

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:55 pm

WOOF! That thing is as rough as a cob.

Darned rust!

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:00 am

Nothing more frustrating than when a man goes into his tool bag for a pair of squeezers and comes out with a pair of pincers, or vise-versa.
This is obviously the culmination of hours of industry input and thought to solve just that problem.
Now you can squeeze OR pinch WITH THE SAME TOOL!
Genius.
Jonathan Boos
'43 GPW

"That's"
-She

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:09 am

The same tool! LOl!!! Can't go wrong!

As for the Evaporust. I've never tried it but have heard good things about it, but another product that seems to be similar, and less expensive because it's sold in a more concentrated form, (16/1 dilution ratio, so 1 gallon of stuff mixes with 16 gallons of water to make 16 gallons, o rabout a cup of stuff to a gallon of water) has gotten my attention. I'm going to be experimenting with it tomorrow when the cute FedEx girl will supposedly drop it off. Unlike acids it doesn't need to be neutralized, just dried off before priming. I've had trouble in the past with getting things thoroughly nutralized and having the paint bubble, and the electrolosis method works great on paint but not good enough (for me) on rust. rust911.com If it's as great as they claim I'll start a new thread on it as I attemp to treat a GPW frame.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”