Ford GPW Spare Parts Box

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Len Jones
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Ford GPW Spare Parts Box

Post by Len Jones » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:08 am

jeepfinger you beat me to it :!:

This is that kit which was offered on the UK auction site last year, finally selling for nearly ££££ figures - No it was not me :lol:

This was not the usual tar paper box, but what appears to be a larger Ford marked card board version, partially wrapped, with it's Ford parts label. Also containing some additional contents - Two extra bulb units & one extra spark plug.

Out of interest I messaged the Vendor regarding the actual dimensions of the box, and how it had been acquired :?: Open :?: Closed :?:
Unfortunately I never got those dimensions. But was informed that it had been purchased in France some years before.

As it's French seller did not speak English, and he did not speak French, nothing was learnt regarding it's true provenance - Shame.

Hiding at the bottom of the box is a bag with a draw cord described as a ' green bag for spares ?? ' which had fused itself to the box. However he was reluctant to remove it for an additional photograph in case of damage.

Can anyone confirm the dimensions of the Ford friction tape box :?:

Len.
Attachments
Description.png
Auction site description
1.jpg
1 - Spare parts kit
2.jpg
2 - Ford marked box
3.jpg
3 - As purchased in France
4.jpg
4 - Two bulbs too many
5.jpg
5 - Bag Key H-700 with two keys
6.jpg
6 - Green bag at the bottom
7.jpg
7 - Assorted contents
8.jpg
8 - Ford friction tape
Owner & Custodian of GPW 24043 since 1976.
MVT No 366.

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:57 am

Sorry Les in the late reply.
I think the spares belonged to Gfros? here on the Gee. It went for a eye watering price.
I don't know too much about tools etc, but this forum is interesting, I can see how easy it is to get hooked.

Dave
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

DavidA
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class

Post by DavidA » Wed May 25, 2022 8:18 am

After looking at the boxes holding the Friction Tape in both kits, I was puzzled by the spelling of the company name. On one box it is "Stedfast" and on the other it appears to be "Steadfast". So which is it? Granted the image of the Ford marked one is poor, if you turn the image and zoom in, it appears to be STEAD. Anyhow, I am going with that for my homemade boxes.
Attachments
Friction Tape.JPG
Stedfast
Friction Tape.JPG (20 KiB) Viewed 732 times
Steadfast.png
Steadfast ????
Stead-fast.jpg
Dave's Repro
David Aro - USN SEABEES '66-'70
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by rjbeamer » Wed May 25, 2022 5:22 pm

It appears to be Stedfast in real life.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/historica ... 6098243560

Roger

DavidA

Post by DavidA » Thu May 26, 2022 11:57 am

In my process of making my little box, I looked up the Stedfast Rubber Co and had seen that it was truly the name of the company but when you look at the photo that I attached to the previous posting and taken from the original box of tape, it appears that the boxes were marked "Steadfast" unless my eyes are deceiving me. Looking for another person to confirm that my eyes are still functioning stead-ily. :lol:

Anyhow the object would be to make it like the box similar or as close to the one in the photos. I have it made both ways but so far have elected to go with the Steadfast.

Anyone? Click on the lower photo and use your eyeballs that might be a bit clearer than mine... :roll:
Attachments
gpw parts 1.jpg
Steadfast.png
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Sat May 28, 2022 1:00 pm

I say Steadfast. 9 letters on the upside down part of the box in the picture.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

Len Jones
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Len Jones » Sun May 29, 2022 2:08 pm

Yes Stedfast was definitely the company name who are still trading today.

So added another photo of mine to show it's end marking ' 3/4 In. Friction Tape '. This has been in my collection for some twenty five years now.

That Ford box does appear to read ' Steadfast ' ? Therefore I would assume that the both the front & end of the box would have the same company name ? Hopefully it's new owner might be able to confirm, or does anyone else have an identical Ford box ?

I just wonder if it is actually just a typo by who ever produced the box ? Out of interest when typing Stedfast here on G503 brings up a red underline for spelling error ? But typing Steadfast shows nothing ?

David, great job on the reproduction box.

Len
Attachments
1930 - 2022.png
Stedfast 1930 - 2022
Oliver Street.png
Stedfast Rubber Co Inc 1 - 9 - 42
P1120120.JPG
3/4 In Friction Tape
P1120121.JPG
Box & contents
MVT No 366.

DavidA

Post by DavidA » Sun May 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Len and Steve: Thanks for your confirmations. I was sure it looked like there was an "a" in the original tape box in the photo.

Now for the bigger question. What was the date on the box. I faked it on mine. Hopefully someone someday will put up a photo of an original un-damaged box. Just seeing that one that was in that original kit was an eye opener. :shock:

Thanks to my good buddy Nikko for the thread as well. Both Nikko and I had the privilege of seeing the original kit that Marc Open got some years ago and that sent us on a quest for the items to make our own kits. I now have two sans one bailing wire.

I'm still looking for the wire but have yet to find a good one. I have stuff to trade if someone has either WWII friction tape or the proper coil of bailing wire I am interested. Feel free to PM me.
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

Len Jones
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Len Jones » Mon May 30, 2022 12:16 am

Been waiting a while, so now seems like a good idea to post my photo comparison using the ebay images of that ' larger ' Ford box.

Using the usual Ford tar paper box as a comparison clearly shows that this is a larger variant :shock:

Obviously this example has a few ' extras ' that have been added along the way.

So from my comparison layouts it would appear to be around 10'' long X 6'' wide - I guess the height would be the same at 4'' :?:

Room enough to hold the friction tape in it's cardboard box as seen in the ebay images, and probably a coiled up fan belt too, neither of which will fit in the usual Ford tar paper box.

Was this a complete spares kit in one unit ?

Len
Attachments
1.jpg
ebay image
2.JPG
Approx 10'' long
3.jpg
ebay image
4.JPG
Approx 6'' wide
5.jpg
ebay image
6.JPG
With the ' extra ' bulb units
7.jpg
ebay image
8.JPG
My extra bulb units
MVT No 366.

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”