Metal stamp kit

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Metal stamp kit

Post by Steve Webb » Thu May 13, 2021 12:59 pm

I picked this up. Just curious what time frame you think. Dovetailed wood top and case measures 5 1/2 long, 2 3/4 wide and 3 1/4 tall. The stamp is 1/4 flat approx 2 5/16 tall and the letters are 3/16 high. I am missing the letters F,U and Y Also has a period and an & stamp.

My guess 50's
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

GUNNUT in Iowa
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Metal stamp kit

Post by GUNNUT in Iowa » Thu May 13, 2021 2:08 pm

Don't know the era, but technically that joint is a "box joint" not a dovetailed joint. A box joint has square pins . . . not beveled ones as in a dovetail joint.
1968 M274 A5 Mule
1945 Willys MB

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu May 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Many sets sold since WWI era, I have an identical set that came from my Grandfather, so 40s to 50s likely.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Thu May 13, 2021 5:02 pm

They are still made and used today. Here's a source for your missing ones: https://www.mcmaster.com/metal-stamps/metal-stamps-7/ I was just looking at a wood box of them yesterday in the shop here. Probably from the mid 2000's But the box wasn't as nice as yours.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 pm

Figured since it had no plastic had to predate 60's. Will see about getting my missing letters.

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Fri May 14, 2021 2:58 pm

Ordered missing letters and got a number kit. Weird system show 2 items to deliver on Tuesday and 2 on Wednesday.

redcoat54th
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by redcoat54th » Sat May 15, 2021 6:29 am

I purchased a couple of sets at a yard sale. The owner had been in the service during the Korean and Vietnam era's as tech. Mine came in a solid piece of wood with holes drilled into the lid and bottom sections to hold the individual stamps.
British Army (Royal Signals). US Army 1st Air Cav (UH1H pilot)
Prime mover 1965 M151A1
Trailer M416
MVPA #37617

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun May 16, 2021 4:03 pm

Steve Webb wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:59 pm
I picked this up. Just curious what time frame you think.
Like you, I reckon pre-1960's, and for the same reasons, Steve. I have three sets, all Joseph Matthews, including a legit complete 1942 military "Marking Outfit for Stamping Metal" (1/8") in an OD green wooden box, not dovetailed, and two civilian kits, letters (1/4") and numbers (3/16"), both in plain wooden dove-tailed boxes. Link to G503 thread where I have shown them all before here.
TEMPORARY DUTY

GUNNUT in Iowa

Post by GUNNUT in Iowa » Sun May 16, 2021 5:43 pm

I first discovered this forum when I purchased an M-274 A5 Mule. Later when I was given an MB, I started reading the other sections on the board.
One thing I have noticed is the concern for very accurate restorations of military vehicles discussed on this forum. Is it an "F" marked bolt? Which direction should the safety wire be wrapped? Is the windshield glass etched in the bottom left - or right corner? What color should the paint be for marking? What is the correct font and size of markings? etc. etc. etc.

One of my passions is woodworking. I have been making things out of wood for almost 50 years. Accuracy counts - both in measurements and descriptions.

I submit this for general information.

https://woodgears.ca/dovetail/dovetail_vs_boxjoint.html
1968 M274 A5 Mule
1945 Willys MB

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon May 17, 2021 3:37 am

Thanks for the link, GUNNUT. I've been calling old wooden boxes finger-jointed, too, sometimes, thinking all the terms synonymous, and as a collector of lots of things (old socket sets, tap and die, pipe threaders, etc) that come in old boxes, I'm sure I've misidentified quite a few corner joints over the years. Fortunately, it's never been on a woodworkers forum, which is probably why it's never come up before, with the precise type of joint being superfluous to the contents. I don't think I've ever used a jointed corner box to date something before, except in broad categories, as in this case, as a synonym for vintage, as opposed to modern. Is there a timeline of joints on vintage and antique boxes? If not - if boxes were being made with dovetail, box, and finger/comb joints at the same time, all "old" (vintage or antique) then I would submit that the inaccuracy (misidentifying the precise type of joint) is irrelevant esoterica. If they were made in sequence, and the phasing is known and definitive, that would be significant and useful in dating the contents.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 am

I probably only meant to say jointed top but saying dovetail is just so common. For me saying hot water heater is aggravating. If you had hot water you wouldn't need to heat it :wink: Dovetailed drawers, finger jointed baseboard and box joint tops.

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”