Army-Navy E Award Winners

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: Army-Navy E Award Winners

Post by henry501 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:42 pm

Don,

Very nice collection of Walworth pipe wrenches. Would you mind listing the sizes of the wrenches shown in descending order?

Thank you very much,
Henry

gpw_42
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by gpw_42 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:52 pm

Henry,

Don's wrenches are:

41-W-1665: 24"
41-W-1664: 18"
41-W-1663: 14"
41-W-1662: 10"
41-W-1661: 8"
41-W-1660: 6"

I zoomed in on the picture and cross-referenced the -1660 and -1663 with my GMTK component listing. I know that Don can speak for himself, but wanted to reply in the interest of timeliness...and because it's the middle of the night here.

If you're doing a deep dive on the Walco wrenches, this thread has a large part of the forum's info on the topic: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=259986 Don's picture appears on page 3, and he explains 6"-24" there.

Steve

Len Jones
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Len Jones » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:47 am

Thanks Don for the prompt

I have added some details to my original picture showing the date codes. The specification required that the jaws were to be replaceable, which might explain the mismatched numbers on both of these 10 inch models ?

Perhaps the capital letters denoted the month of production starting with an ' A ' for January up to ' L ' for December ? Thoughts anyone ?

The jaws on all four of these NOS 6 inch versions do not have date codes - Guess there was not enough room :?:

Len
Attachments
Walworth Company.JPG
Walworth Company 6'' - 8'' - 10'' - 14''
Walworth Co.JPG
6'' Jaw without a date code
Walco Wrench.JPG
6'' Jaw with the Patent No 1862002
Filed Jun 14 1930 - Granted Jun7 1932.png
Filed on June 14th 1930 & Granted on June 7th 1932
Owner & Custodian of GPW 24043 since 1976.
MVT No 366.

gpw_42

Post by gpw_42 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:05 am

Picked up these Navy pins today at the flea, for Edward G. Budd MFG Co., Northern Pump Co. and an unnamed company. No, this is not THAT Budd - that's the Budd Wheel Company. I think there are at least two ways to approach these pins: the contract/manufacturing info and the pin construction info.
211113_E Pins Obverse.JPG
211113_E Pins Reverse.JPG
Contract/manufacturing:
Edward G. Budd MFG Co. (blue pin) had at least two locations doing business with Uncle during the war, one in Detroit and one in Philadelphia. The Detroit branch had all Army contracts ($10.3M), and the Philly branch was a mix of Army, Navy and Maritime Commission contracts, total value $106,861,000: Army $83.6M, Navy $20.6M and Maritime Commission $2.6M.

Hopefully you'll be able to see the info in the shots below. It's interesting to note that the Philly branch was awarded an E-award and 5 stars; their contracts ran from June 1940 (for "Services") to August 1946 (for "sonar domes"). Also, look at the breadth of what they were producing: ship ventilating pipes, ship uptakes, bombs, shells, echo equipment domes, ship doors, etc.
Ed Budd MFG Detroit and Philly.jpg
Philly 1.jpg
Philly 2.jpg
Philly 3.jpg

gpw_42

Post by gpw_42 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:25 am

Pin construction:

The unnamed pin with no named E-award recipient was made by Robbins. In text around the reverse top edge it is marked with UNITED STATES NAVY AWARD.

The blue cloisonne pin is for the Edward G. Budd MFG CO., and marked on the obverse bottom. On the reverse, below the bottom clasp it is marked ROBBINS CO./ATTLEBORO. I didn't try to take a picture, because I need a loop to see this marking.

The bronze pin is for the Northern Pump Co., and so marked on the obverse bottom. The reverse is stamped with 3645 above the post, and at the bottom is stamped JOSTENS in small text. The backing, which screws onto the post is marked "JOSTENS/OWATONNA, MINN." around the external rear.

I'm not sure what conclusions can be drawn from these, or what the sequence of production was; more questions to look into. However, I think it shows why there was an effort to standardize on the red, white and blue E pins shown on page 1 of the thread. I ASSUME that the blue cloisonne pin was earlier in production, due to more materials required to produce it relative to the bronze pins. Not sure where the gold colored with blue cloisonne surround fit in sequence.

gpw_42

Post by gpw_42 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:00 am

Northern Pump Co., from Minneapolis, MN is listed on the Jostens-produced pin. They also had all Navy contracts, worth $49.3M, but are NOT listed on the Minnesota listing for E-award recipients, see pp. 33-34: https://www.usautoindustryworldwartwo.c ... page-6.htm

Major contract categories include:
Gun mounts $37.8M
Electric equipment $4.8M
Ordnance material $3.9M
(note, pumps are a small quantity of the total contracts, at $434K).
Northern Pump.jpg
Here's a link to several photos from Northern Pump, none of which show an E-award: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/minneso ... photos-mn/ On the picture of the 100th gun mount, note that they built a mount, and fitted a dummy barrel, decorated in red, white and blue, per the Library of Congress, which has a higher resolution copy of that photo.

This is to the MN Historic Society, which describes Northern Pump as a "Naval Ordnance Plant." That's accurate, as all the contracts were to Naval Ordnance. https://www.mnhs.org/mgg/artifact/northern_pump

And here's the company website, with (not surprisingly) no mention of an E-award: https://www.northern-pump.com/about/ Yet the presence/possession of the pin sure suggests they received at least one E-award. Another question....
Attachments
000_0762 (2).JPG

gpw_42
Budd Wheel

Post by gpw_42 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:12 pm

Here's the data for THAT Budd...Budd Wheel Co.

They were awarded one E-award, per pg. 29 of the memo linked above (see the Michigan page). Not sure if this was an Army, Navy or Army-Navy E award.

Budd Wheel of Detroit had $103.7M of contracts, nearly all to the Army.
$104.1M for a variety of ammunition/components
$5.9M for wheels
$425K for machine tools
$55k for steel wheels to the USN

I'm amazed that it was "only" $5.9M for wheels to the Army. I'm confident, but not certain that all the Dodge 1/2T and 3/4T had Budd wheels, and I wonder what else had them, probably CCKWs and Ben Hur trailers, at least. Though many of those wheels were probably ordered directly by the manufacturers, not the Army Ordnance Dept.
Attachments
Budd Wheel.jpg
Budd Wheel 2.jpg

gpw_42

Post by gpw_42 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:46 am

Diamond T E Award.jpg
That ad came from an auction site listing. Diamond T won four (4) E Awards in the course of the war.

Diamond T had over $230M in contracts during the war. I'm having problems copying the page(s) from the Major Wartime Contracts book into a .jpg to post here. Pg. 31-32 of the GoogleBook have the entries for Diamond T. https://play.google.com/books/reader?id ... A929&hl=en

The G-509 4T cargo truck is perhaps the best known (Diamond T 968 or 968A); the wrecker variant of the same truck was Diamond T model 969 or 969A. The difference between the base models and the -A models was the size of the engines. The base models used 502 cu. inch Hercules; the -A models used Hercules RXC 529 cu. in. (straight 6, L-head). Diamond T also made more than 12,000 M3 and M3A1 halftracks, and cannons, which are generally outside the scope of my interests. http://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/diamondt.htm

Edited to correct total value of wartime contracts and add the last paragraph.

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”