"The Numbers Racket" GMTK

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
"The Numbers Racket" GMTK

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Hello Fellow GMTKers,

The forum has been so quiet for so many years now that it just doesn’t seem the same. And I have been part of the problem, with new collecting niches (the Roaring 20’s!) and of course ‘real life’ getting in the way. Maybe all that early GMTK research energy took its toll on me, too. It started to feel like a doctoral thesis, too much work, and not enough play.

Recently, though, while taking stock of all the stuff in my basement and reorganizing it into something where I can actually see the things I have been collecting and find something when I need it, I stumbled on my most recent GMTK and I felt the old spark.

I opened the box to discover that rust was taking advantage of my predilection for preservation on not only the box, but some of the tools. I de-rusted the box, again, a little more strenuously this time, and I did some delicate touching up with a homemade stain of Midwest Signal Corps green cut with turp on a rag. While I had the tools out, I inventoried everything, scrambled and pawed through more recent boxes of flea finds and trades to plug holes, and took some photos.

Unlike the past, I am not going to hit you with a big production and spreadsheets! HAHA.

Without further ado, I present "The Numbers Racket!"

10.4 GMTK inspection.jpg
10.5 GMTK inspection.jpg

This is the fifth GMTK I have put together and, like the others that came before it, I tend to give them thematic nicknames as they begin to take shape from my capricious flea finds and trades and such. This nickname harkens back to a humorous phrase I remembered from The Ordnance Department: Procurement and Supply (U.S. Army in WWII, The Technical Services, Center for Military History, 1960).

Numbers Racket Excerpt.jpg

Why "The Numbers Racket"?

Because this particular kit has a lot of tools with a variety of numbers on them, including stock numbers (Federal, Ordnance Dept, etc), most especially the toolbox itself (“41-T-3534-75”), which sets the tone for this whole kit.

Starting with the box, it is an original wartime vintage 41-B-1840 type toolbox with original wartime vintage stenciling - "1 EA, TOOL-SET, GEN MECHANICS“ and "41-T-3534-75“ – indicating that the contents were, indeed, a late war GMTK. It was made by Hamilton Metal Products Company, a verified Ordnance Dept supplier. This is the type with the “HAM. MET. PRODS. CO.” embossing on the lids, with no FSN embossing, which is the kind of Hamilton 41-B-1840 shown in the figure of the GMTK toolbox in the October 1942 SNL N-19. Based on the nomenclature, FSN, and weight and cubic volume stenciled on the side, on a field of white paint now yellowed like old newspaper with age, IAW known wartime shipping procedures, it can be absolutely ascertained that this box was actually used by the Ordnance Dept to contain a General Mechanics Tool-Set some time after March 1944, as that is the first time the 41-T-3534-75 was used, and, when the name was changed from MVMTS to GMTS. In short, its provenance as a GMTS, and one that came back from over there, is impeccable. It is in very good condition, with some spotty areas of surface rust on the lids, and in the bottom, and a missing foot.

10.1 GMTK inspection.jpg
10.2 GMTK inspection.jpg
10.2B GMTK inspection.jpg
10.3 GMTK inspection.jpg
Last edited by Wingnutt on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: "The Numbers Racket" GMTK

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Contributing to the numerical moniker are “41-W-900” FSN’s on each of the ignition wrenches (in original oilcloth roll-up pouch), the Stevens-Walden midget set case (“41-W-2615”), the Mossberg 1/2-inch socket drive extensions, technically classified as “bars” in the inventory (“41-B-307” and “41-B-309”), as well as the Ordnance Dept “taxi’ system number on the Federal 9-1/2 W.F. extra heavy duty machinists’ screwdriver (“TGBX1A”). While the stock numbers stamped into the Crestoloy lineman’s pliers (“TL-13”) are not indicative of Ordnance Dept GMTK issue tools, a tip of the hat to this kit’s notional mechanic for shrewdly reconnoitering equivalent and arguably superior replacements from the Signal Corps, even though it is shorter than specified. Numbers in the form of date codes evidencing their wartime production can also be found on the brand matching 14” and 6” Walworth WALCO pipe wrenches (“42”) and the J.P. Danielson waterpump pliers (“A.9.4” – September 1944).

Stretching the numbers game into the 1950’s for this kit upon its return to stateside service is the safety set screw wrench set (“5120-203-7064” by Upland), with its own handy case, the Oval sash No. 5 brush (“8020-297-6657” by Wooster), and a few extras this fictitious mechanic was shrewd enough to abscond with, including a special socket (“41-W-3328”) and a 10” extension with a rotating grip (“41-B-311-500”).

Here are some close-ups of all the WRENCHES by category...

1/2-inch Drive Socket Tools

Socket Wrenches.jpg

Extras

Extra socket wrenches.jpg

DOEs

DOEs.jpg

DBEs

DBEs.jpg

Midget socket set and electrical wrenches

Midget and Electrical 1.jpg
Midget and Electrical 2.jpg

Adjustable crescent-type, pipe, and safety sect screw wrenches

Adj Pipe and Allen.jpg
Last edited by Wingnutt on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:23 pm

And here are some close-ups of the other categories...

Pliers

Pliers.jpg

Drivers

Drivers.jpg

Striking tools

Striking Tools.jpg

Cutting tools

Cutting tools.jpg

Measuring tools

Measuring.jpg

Cleaning tools

Misc.jpg
Last edited by Wingnutt on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:28 pm

It’s a motley manufacturer’s kit, which is just the way the folks at the Ordnance Dept’s Raritan Arsenal liked it, but there are a few strong brand themes running through it. I am sure you old wily veteran GMTK eagle eyes can spot all the makes and models, but here is a quick run-down...

- All fourteen (14) sockets in the 1/2-inch drive socket set are Duro-Chrome (“-D-I-” 12XX series), as are the ratchet (“678D”), speeder (“651D”), and universal joint. All of the DOE wrenches are Duro-Chrome Cicle-DC “(X)”, and the long 15* angle pattern DBE’s are all Duro-Chrome Circle-DC “(X)” or “G”, and the short double offset pattern DBE wrenches are Duro-Chrome “(X)”. The OTC hinge handle sticks out like a sore thumb in all that Duro-Chrome, but that’s okay, because it sticks out in the July 1944 ORD 6 SNL G-27, too!

- The drag link bits are not Duro-Chrome, either, but they are all brand-matching Walden (1129, 1130, and 1131). The L-Handle is an APCO-Mossberg, which matches the short and long 41-B-307 and -309 extensions.

- The 12” and 8” adjustable crescent type wrenches are brand-matching Williams Superjustables, the pipe wrenches are the aforementioned date-coded brand-matching Walcos, and both the 32- and 4-oz ball-pein hammers are brand-matching Blue-Point.

- All the file handles are DISSTON (Qty 3 No. 2 1” diameter and Qty 2 No. 3 1-1/2” diameter), as specified, mated with files that are all HELLER.

- Three (3) of the four (4) punches – the center, 1/8” tip drive pin, and 1/4” tip drive pin – are UNITED, and their style of knurling makes for a nice visually pleasing match with the knurling on the 3/8” tip diameter pin punch, made by MAYHEW.

- The pliers and screwdrivers split their brand loyalty. Joining the 1944 J.P. Danielson waterpump piers are J.P. Danielson 8” slip-joint pliers. Joining the Crestoloy TL-13 are 6” Crestoloy dykes with a martial “U.S.” mark for provenance, matching the similar “U.S.” mark on the CAMRON need-nose. Keeping it in the Crescent family are the T-47 tin snips as shown in the 1942 catalog. Both cabinet screwdrivers and both No. 2 and No. 3 Phillips screwdrivers are Stanley, joining an ink-stamped IRWIN, the previously referenced FEDERAL “TAXI” number EHD, and a Bonney No. 501 stubby.

- Other highlights include the aforementioned midget set, a complete Walden – perfectly matching the late war specifications with eleven (11) sockets and only two (2) handles (the spinner and breaker), a Union hacksaw frame – which is the brand shown in the July 1944 ORD 6 SNL RAPD figure, an Auto-Lite spark plug gapper tool (missing the glass magnifying lens), and an L.S. Starrett No. 172-A feeler gage – with all nine (9) leaves marked with the older, fancy sizes.

- The oiler is an “EAGLE” and the 6” Tempered No. 4 rule is a Brown & Sharpe.

- The kit also features a smaller spade-handled type file card as shown in the early war manuals (optionally, I could go with a Nicholson type missing its scorer…), a “U.S. QMC” marked lady’s foot pry bar, and, in a nice bit of synchronicity with the “41-W-900” electrician’s set, which we have some reason to believe may have been sourced from Wilde, a Wilde branded 10-pin carbon scraper.

MISSING IN ACTION

My only gaping hole is the lack of chisels. They are not difficult to find, I just don’t enjoy looking for them and tend to skip over them while standing in front of boxes at flea markets. Also missing the 41-W-900 with the 9/32” (15*) x 5/16” (60*) configuration.

MINOR GIGS

The putty knife is a “Union, N.J.”, not an “Irvington, N.J.”, and the smallest dwarf DBE is a Blackhawk placeholder until I can find a Duro-Chrome “(X)” or “G”.

For accessories, the pocket bible is a 1941 Gideon’s chaplain issue and the X-rated cigarette lighter – representing the good and the little bit of raunchy in most WWII vets, is a wartime B and D Light-O-Matic.

20201210_155520.jpg
20201210_161302.jpg
20201210_161309.jpg
TEMPORARY DUTY

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Cool set. I like all the Duro. I may have some random extra chisels if you are looking.
-Don
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Thanks, Don. Because I'm down to a very short, manageable list, it won't seem like such a chore, so I will probably slow roll into a goal and challenge of finding the chisels at the flea in 2021.
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:15 pm

Awesome set Greg!
The amount of effort And time that goes into putting one of these sets together is mind boggling. I’m a huge fan of GMTK accessories.

Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:45 pm

pjones wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:15 pm
Awesome set Greg! The amount of effort And time that goes into putting one of these sets together is mind boggling.
Thanks, Phil. Yes, putting it together takes awhile. Almost as long as figuring out the best way to pack it! :P
pjones wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:15 pm
I’m a huge fan of GMTK accessories.
I know. I think of that as a common signature you and I have.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Len Jones
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Len Jones » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:17 am

Greg - I like others here have very much missed your informative postings - But :shock:

You have certainly set another high bench mark - Simply outstanding - Love the groupings.

Wishing everyone a safe & happy Christmas.
Len
Owner & Custodian of GPW 24043 since 1976.
MVT No 366.

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:23 am

Len Jones wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:17 am
Simply outstanding - Love the groupings.
Thanks, Len.

The functional groupings go back to the spreadsheets I created a long time ago to manage and document my own GMTK collecting and my GMTK research. The tables I made articulating the different sets throughout the war were organized the same way. I found it much more practical than using the long SNL list - which alphabetically separates tools that functionally go together, or the RAPD photos, which are even more annoyingly and randomly scattershot.

I have never displayed any GMTKs that way before though, heretofore always reverting to the early MVMTS or GMTS RAPD figures for that.

I have to say it was easier and liberating! Those RAPD figures can be a pain in the butt! Either too big (MVMTS) or comically nonsensical (GMTS)!

Two men standing around a table at Raritan Arsenal, NJ, 1944:

"Hmm, let's just stick this little file handle over here with the wrenches for this shot."

"What are we going to do with the oiler?"

"Oh, just put it over there next to the pry bar."

:lol:
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:13 am

Thanks to a trade with a guy offboard I added another numbered tool to "The Racket" box. This 41-B-154 crossbar is 1/16" too narrow for the GMTK spec (41-B-153) crossbar, and, as you can imagine, it's a tad loose in the 1/2" diameter cross-drilled hole in the OTC hinge handle, but it's got an FSN, I already have a few other Mossberg FSN marked bars in "The Racket" box, and it'll do just fine! :mrgreen:

20210412_170557.jpg
20210412_170602.jpg
20210412_171624.jpg
Inked20210403_082008_LI.jpg
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:17 am

Since I was on the subject of tools marked with stock numbers, I took a group shot. Some of these are non-GMTK "extras" and the box is getting heavy. :wink:

20210413_101036.jpg
20210413_101711.jpg
20210413_101721.jpg
20210413_101749.jpg

All you old hands no doubt recognize most of those, but this socket is interesting and may require some explanation. I don't remember if I posted it before. While I wasn't able to track it down to a period document, I think that's an Ordnance Dept drawing number and that "Grouser" refers to a cleat or lug on a tracked vehicle track.

20210411_125211.jpg
20210411_125218.jpg
20210411_125223.jpg
TEMPORARY DUTY

gpw_42
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by gpw_42 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:32 am

That's a GREAT kit, Wingnutt, thanks for sharing. The box itself is just unequaled.

What's the distinction between a 15/16" grouser socket and a 15/16" socket?

Steve

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:36 am

None as far as I can tell. I think they were just helping out the techs. "FOR GROUSER" as in, "This one fits the grouser," instead of them reaching for the 7/8" and the 25/32" etc. Or perhaps the dozer or tank kit only had one socket and every tool was similarly functionally marked (e.g., "FOR TURRET LATCH", etc). I don't really know. But there's no physical difference between it and its broaching than any other Duro 15/16" socket form the same era. It has early knurling, so early or even possibly prewar. And it's not marked "-D-I-", but there's no doubt it's Duro. I was thinking commercial heavy tracked vehicles, perhaps IH, but I couldn't find a match. I couldn't find an ORD match, either, just for the record. But it looks like a drawing number to me, and it would be an "A" size drawing.
TEMPORARY DUTY

gpw_42

Post by gpw_42 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:58 am

Makes sense, and I appreciate the explanation. That A131914 drawing number sure is “interesting” to find on a socket. I keep hoping the National Archives will reopen to researchers...some things I’d like to go look for, and this may be worth adding to the list.

I’m slowly working on a Duro-based GMTS, but didn’t recognize that knurling as theirs, so thanks for the tip. Have all the sockets (thanks to Don!), but probably not yet 50% with the rest of it.

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”