1918 Tool Kits (for comparison)

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: 1918 Tool Kits (for comparison)

Post by USAFpj » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:19 am

Silly's MB wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:50 am
Their is a striking resemblance between the WW1 mechanics tool chest and a Signal corps mechanics Chest BG-77 as shown in Chads Signal corps photo from 1943.
I've been drooling over these boxes and cabinets for a long time now. At a local antique shop, there is a neat example of a WW2 BG-77 chest as shown. It has a brass tag on the lid, but is is extremely darkened with age. The packing list is attached on the inside lid, and even a few bits are in their slots on the first shelf. Man, is it heavy! And that is with it empty.

Asking price is $75. I'm not sure what is considered fair, but for such beautiful craftsmanship- brass fixtures, dove-tailed corners, and war history, we're going to most likely pick it up this week.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:24 am

If you weren't interested, I'd love to get one and try to fill it for emplacement on the WWI truck eventually. Would make a really neat addition even if it wasn't BII for it.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 am

I have a hack saw that is to me a dead ringer from the WW1 tool box kit. Company was in business from 1890's to 1920's. No military marks on it only makers name and model number. It seems like what little the threads on the this topic there was not a big deal about stocking numbers then as they were later on.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”